Ahhh... some quotes from Rick Warrens Mentor Schuller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABondSlaveofChristJesus

Puritan Board Freshman
What does this cute old man have to say today?

"Classical theology has erred in its insistence that theology be 'God-centered,' not 'man-centered'."
(Robert Schuller, "Self-Esteem: the New Reformation," page 64)

"I don't think anything has been done in the name of Christ and under the banner of Christianity that has proven more destructive to human personality and, hence, counterproductive to the evangelism enterprise than the often crude, uncouth, and unchristian strategy of attempting to make people aware of their lost and sinful condition"
(Robert Schuller, "Time Magazine" March 18, 1985

"The most serious sin is one that causes me to say, 'I am unworthy. I may have no claim to divine sonship if you examine me at my worst.' For once a person believes he is an 'unworthy sinner,' it is doubtful if he can really honestly accept the saving grace God offers in Jesus Christ."
(Robert Schuller, "Self-Esteem: the New Reformation," page 98)

"What we need is a theology of salvation that begins and ends with a recognition of every person's hunger for glory."
(Robert Schuller, "Self-Esteem: the New Reformation," page 26-27)

"Too many prayers of confession of sin and repentance have been destructive to the emotional health of Christians by feeding their sense of non-worth."
(Robert Schuller, "Self-Esteem: the New Reformation," page 104)

------------
Unknown Man: "Why should we do anything to encourage people to become lovers of themselves if Paul in fact warned Timothy that would be the state of Godlessness in the last days?"
Robert Schuller: "I hope you don't preach this. I hope you don't. You would do a lot of damage to a lot of beautiful people. And so, if you preach that text, oh, Man! They'll switch you off! They'll turn on the rock music and Madonna. So please, that stuff, there are Bible passages, just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean you should preach it! But are we so corrupt and are we totally unable to do any good and inclined towards all evil? The answer in the Catechism says, 'Yes, unless we are born again by the Spirit of God.' I don't think that I'll accept that answer. I know people that are not Christians, they're not born again, but they're very kind people. I have to say they do a lot of good."
Unknown Man: "Well, Paul says, 'There is no one who does good. No, not one."
Robert Schuller: "Well, I'm not going to say that because I think that leads ultimately to holier than thou-ism self righteousness. And that comes out of the personality of the preacher and it does untold damage."
(Robert Schuller. Audio-Clip from, "Resources on Televangelism," White Horse Inn, Michael Horton)

"Accept God's love and forgiveness. Don't keep on confessing your sins. Don't continue to tell God what a miserable person you are. To continue to do so will only feed the negative self-image you have of yourself. Now is the time to stop repenting and start affirming: "God loves me. God loves me even though I am not perfect. God loves me even though I do not have the faith that I ought to have. This must mean I am a wonderful person."
(Robert Schuller, "Affirm God's Love," March 19, 2005)

"No matter what has happened in your life you are not 'A complete failure,' 'A Hopeless sinner,' 'A Total washout.' After twenty years in the field of people-counseling I have heard that exaggerated, distorted, destructive lie repeated many hundreds of times."
(Dr. Robert Schuller, "Self-Love," Page 10)

Originally posted by Robin
Hey, here's a very enlightening book about the New Age connection between Schuller and Warren - written by a former NA devotee-Christian:

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/smith-deceived_on_purpose-5.htm

Very curious, indeed...

:detective:

Robin

One of the frustrating things about these "exposé" books is that they invariably paint their subject in the worst possible light, rather than the best. They are "purpose driven" in this regard.

"The duties required in the ninth commandment are, the preserving and promoting of truth between man and man, and the good name of our neighbor, as well as our own; appearing and standing for the truth; and from the heart, sincerely, freely, clearly, and fully, speaking the truth, and only the truth, in matters of judgment and justice, and in all other things whatsoever; a charitable esteem of our neighbors; loving, desiring, and rejoicing in their good name; sorrowing for and covering of their infirmities; freely acknowledging of their gifts and graces, defending their innocency; a ready receiving of a good report, and unwillingness to admit of an evil report, concerning them; discouraging talebearers, flatterers, and slanderers; love and care of our own good name, and defending it when need requireth; keeping of lawful promises; studying and practicing of whatsoever things are true, honest, lovely, and of good report."

The accuracy of the report from the author concerning Warren cannot be determined from the information given. Quotes are selective and may be out of context.

I generally find the treatment of Warren to be on the same level of much of the criticism of Theonomists. Lots of guilt by association, selective quotes, taking comments in the worst possible light rather than the best, little or no direct interaction with the authors.

Originally posted by ABondSlaveofChristJesus
"Classical theology has erred in its insistence that theology be 'God-centered,' not 'man-centered'."
Right. Don't you people know any Greek? Theo = man.

"The most serious sin is one that causes me to say, 'I am unworthy. I may have no claim to divine sonship if you examine me at my worst.' For once a person believes he is an 'unworthy sinner,' it is doubtful if he can really honestly accept the saving grace God offers in Jesus Christ."
I kind of want to yell at this man.

"What we need is a theology of salvation that begins and ends with a recognition of every person's hunger for glory."
Um, yes, it will indeed END with that recognition.

So please, that stuff, there are Bible passages, just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean you should preach it!
I...can't...breathe...

Yes, I would agree with the "H-bomb" sentiment.

I heard that interview between Robert Schuller and the White Horse Inn. He actually left in a huff and then came back and said he just went to the bathroom.
chicken.gif
dry.gif
And they were overly nice to him but he felt attacked by them asking heavy theological questions and quoting his books correctly.
new_rolleyessmileyanim.gif

[Edited on 5-27-2005 by Augusta]

My family watchs schueller religously - good christians but poor discerners - if its positive as opposed to negativity of the sinful world then it must be good? or not.

Originally posted by Augusta
I heard that interview between Robert Schuller and the White Horse Inn. He actually left in a huff and then came back and said he just went to the bathroom.
chicken.gif
dry.gif
And they were overly nice to him but he felt attacked by them asking heavy theological questions and quoting his books correctly.
new_rolleyessmileyanim.gif

[Edited on 5-27-2005 by Augusta]

I heard it too. What was so great about that interview is that it showed people that he was human. On TV he shows himself to be some sort of Mr. Rogers grandfather type figure who patronizingly smiles at his parishoners without a word or thought of condemnation. But that interview shows people that he is a sinner just like everyone else who needs to be confronted with his sin, just as he himself needs to preach the law to all his hearers.

Originally posted by ABondSlaveofChristJesus
What does this cute old man have to say today?

"I don't think anything has been done in the name of Christ and under the banner of Christianity that has proven more destructive to human personality and, hence, counterproductive to the evangelism enterprise than the often crude, uncouth, and unchristian strategy of attempting to make people aware of their lost and sinful condition"
(Robert Schuller, "Time Magazine" March 18, 1985

"Too many prayers of confession of sin and repentance have been destructive to the emotional health of Christians by feeding their sense of non-worth."
(Robert Schuller, "Self-Esteem: the New Reformation," page 104)

------------
Unknown Man: "Why should we do anything to encourage people to become lovers of themselves if Paul in fact warned Timothy that would be the state of Godlessness in the last days?"
Robert Schuller: "I hope you don't preach this. I hope you don't. You would do a lot of damage to a lot of beautiful people. And so, if you preach that text, oh, Man! They'll switch you off! They'll turn on the rock music and Madonna. So please, that stuff, there are Bible passages, just because it's in the Bible doesn't mean you should preach it! But are we so corrupt and are we totally unable to do any good and inclined towards all evil? The answer in the Catechism says, 'Yes, unless we are born again by the Spirit of God.' I don't think that I'll accept that answer. I know people that are not Christians, they're not born again, but they're very kind people. I have to say they do a lot of good."
Unknown Man: "Well, Paul says, 'There is no one who does good. No, not one."
Robert Schuller: "Well, I'm not going to say that because I think that leads ultimately to holier than thou-ism self righteousness. And that comes out of the personality of the preacher and it does untold damage."
(Robert Schuller. Audio-Clip from, "Resources on Televangelism," White Horse Inn, Michael Horton)

"Accept God's love and forgiveness. Don't keep on confessing your sins. Don't continue to tell God what a miserable person you are. To continue to do so will only feed the negative self-image you have of yourself. Now is the time to stop repenting and start affirming: "God loves me. God loves me even though I am not perfect. God loves me even though I do not have the faith that I ought to have. This must mean I am a wonderful person."
(Robert Schuller, "Affirm God's Love," March 19, 2005)

"No matter what has happened in your life you are not 'A complete failure,' 'A Hopeless sinner,' 'A Total washout.' After twenty years in the field of people-counseling I have heard that exaggerated, distorted, destructive lie repeated many hundreds of times."
(Dr. Robert Schuller, "Self-Love," Page 10)

:barfy: :banghead: :barfy::barfy::down: Oh man, that just makes me SICK!!

Also, thanks for the link : http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/04/smith-deceived_on_purpose-5.htm

The modern 'evangelical' church....Blah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back