Aimee Byrd Open Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying that we should not combat error in our churches, but there is just something...not right... about a guy who has not even been ordained a year attacking both the PCA and the OPC from his tiny church in South Dakota in a 48 minute(!) video. Self-importance much?

It may be that "Self Important" Pastors from "tiny churches" would fell less inclind to speak up in this manner if more established Pastors in large churches spoke up instead.
In the OPC or outside of it? What should they say?

I'm not saying that we should not combat error in our churches, but there is just something...not right... about a guy who has not even been ordained a year attacking both the PCA and the OPC from his tiny church in South Dakota in a 48 minute(!) video. Self-importance much?

What has the size of his church, or its location, have to do with anything? Are South Dakotans of lesser value? Do their opinions matter less? Christ had 12 disciples. Won't bother listening to Him!

This man is an ordained minister, a watchman on the walls. Who is Aimee Byrd to publish five books, appear on podcasts, set up her own website, pontificate on twitter? What are her qualifications?

If you do so and she stays relevant and grows in influence then what course of action should we take?
I would first have to be provided examples of her growth and impact on the OPC. I believe this has diminished, not increased.

Then examples would have to be provided of her growth and impact on other denominations and see if this is indicative of an already existing problem.

That would have to be the starting point - to try and quantify that.

If she's not being embraced by the OPC as authoritative - which is my main point. Thats a good barometer.

If she's a threat to other denominations then maybe there is shaky ground to begin with.

Thats my point. Her influence is becoming redundant. She will appeal to the Beth Moore crowd. Im sad if she goes that route but I dont see the threat.

There clearly is shaky ground. The problem is that such a woman has arisen within the bounds of an ostensibly conservative, Reformed denomination and has been championed by men who claim, and are seen as, conservative and Reformed. And when people- from within her own denomination, no less- criticise her they are accused of being misogynistic, "triggered" and are silenced.

She 'may' be using her membership with the OPC as a selling point. But i dont want to question her motives. That would be wrong. I dont think that would be a conscious thing on her part. But maybe as a subconscious thing that is a greater distinguishing selling point (than if she was just another Beth Moore).

There clearly is shaky ground. The problem is that such a woman has arisen within the bounds of an ostensibly conservative, Reformed denomination and has been championed by men who claim, and are seen as, conservative and Reformed. And when people- from within her own denomination, no less- criticise her they are accused of being misogynistic, "triggered" and are silenced.
Who is championing her?

You're taking an anti-catholic approach. You really do not care about what happens outside of your denomination?
Been there and done that. My concern probably came with an air of superiority that was very off-putting. But in all honesty, what can my opinion or concern do for, say, the PCA?

Who is Aimee Byrd to publish five books, appear on podcasts, set up her own website, pontificate on twitter? What are her qualifications?
Excellent point. She says repeatedly that she's 'still learning'. That would be a good disclaimer along with Im 'still maturing' for some over zealous young pastors.

When a pastor acts as if God directly speaks to them, Im out...

Who is championing her?

She was given a platform on Mortification of Spin, championed by Trueman and Pruitt. And she was kept on the show for a long time after criticisms started. She was finally pushed out (by the Alliance board it would appear, not by Trueman and Pruitt) when the problem could no longer be ignored.

This whole thread is so ironic. Aimee Byrd? Oh, she has no real influence, let's not criticize her. Some no-name rookie pastor from South Dakota? Oh, he has no real influence, let's criticize him.

Excellent point. She says repeatedly that she's 'still learning'. That would be a good disclaimer along with Im 'still maturing' for some over zealous young pastors.

When a pastor acts as if God directly speaks to them, Im out...
This is a little much. She has no authority to teach according to scripture. And if the "zealous young pastor" is in an orthodox church then he was appointed by elders who saw him as qualified. One of those qualifications is "not a novice".

I haven't listened to the video; and have no time nor plans to do so. But speaking generally, it is perhaps axiomatic that when error arises there will be those who hurt the cause of truth by standing for it in an unbecoming manner. I'm closing the thread as not particularly edifying. If folks can discuss the subject in general of the question of defending truth in an unbecoming manner, what and when that is, and when that is not, have at that in an new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back