Aimee Byrd Open Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Joseph

Puritan Board Senior
I came across this video which is essentially an open letter of concern regarding the teachings (thoughts/opinions/observations/formulations) of AB.

I have a question. ....

Why must I be concerned about somebody I will never read and will never recommend to others? It's not like her books are required reading. Why all the attention? She is speaking to her concerns and coming to her own conclusions. Good for her. Why does that concern me?

Last edited:
1) I can't speak to whether (1) is true. It probably is in the CREC and other extreme denominations; I don't know if it is true in the OPC (though I am only familiar with the OPC in the deep South).

2) Her critics are giving her free advertising, plain and simple. I read the first 60 or so pages in her book. I had to return it to the library because it was due. I didn't see anything off the wall in those pages.

Addendum: I think the rhetoric coming from a certain FB group was plain wicked.

Im sorry, can I say this....? This guy comes off as a jerk. I dont think his mom ever hugged him...

I have to say it. All these high profile critics (GC camp/& the like) of Byrd come off really bad for some reason. I probably could agree with a majority of their content if they stuck to her writings, but i think they are just triggered and come off looking really bad.....

Do these guys receive any psychological testing as a prerequisite for the ministry? Im only partially kidding.
Former PCA pastor Barnes.... return to sender?

Last edited:
I came across this video which is essentially an open letter of concern regarding the teachings (thoughts/opinions/observations/formulations) of AB.

I have a question. ....

Why must I be concerned about somebody I will never read and will never recommend to others? It's not like her books are required reading. Why all the attention? She is speaking to her concerns and coming to her own conclusions. Good for her. Why does that concern me?

I guess as concerned as one should be by anyone within the conservative, Reformed fold who is peddling heresy, feminism and egalitarianism who has been given a platform and is promoted by individuals with influence.

It's also extremely ironic for Byrd to complain about "mob justice" when she frequently utilises twitter to rile her suporters up into harrassing her opponents. It is not being "triggered" to call women like Byrd out. It is performing the duty of an ordained pastor to put such uppity women in their place. As a married woman her calling in the church is to be a humble and submissive wife and mother. And it would be better for her and certainly for her denomination and the church of Christ generally if she remained silent.

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." 1 Timothy 2:11-14

Last edited:
Because Satan is always trying to corrupt churches and denominations.

Creating a foothold for feminism in conservative churches corrupts them. For the OPC to have that develop in our midst is a failure to cleanse out the old leaven.

Im sorry, can I say this....? This guy comes off as a jerk. I dont think his mom ever hugged him...

I have to say it. All these high profile critics (GC camp/& the like) of Byrd come off really bad for some reason. I probably could agree with a majority of their content if they stuck to her writings, but i think they are just triggered and come off looking really bad.....

Do these guys receive any psychological testing as a prerequisite for the ministry? Im only partially kidding.
Anthony, “coming off looking really bad” doesn’t seem to be a constructive way to engage with the issues he raises. I don’t know if his mother ever hugged him but I do know that to challenge his psychological fitness for ministry seems a bit presumptuous, at least to me.

I'm not saying that we should not combat error in our churches, but there is just something...not right... about a guy who has not even been ordained a year attacking both the PCA and the OPC from his tiny church in South Dakota in a 48 minute(!) video. Self-importance much?

Aimee Byrd has showed up a few times on woke preacher clips spouting what appears to be feminism. She interacts frequency with Beth Moore on Twitter where they give props to each other. I won't speak to the op video directly, but AB does not appear to be a positive thing for the church. It would be best if she stopped trying to be Beth Moore lite.

I guess as concerned as one should be by anyone within the conservative, Reformed fold who is peddling heresy, feminism and egalitarianism who has been given a platform and is promoted by individuals with influence.

It's also extremely ironic for Byrd to complain about "mob justice" when she frequently utilises twitter to rile her suporters up into harrassing her opponents. It is not being "triggered" to call women like Byrd out. It is performing the duty of an ordained pastor to put such uppity women in their place. As a married woman her calling in the church is to be a humble and submissive wife and mother. And it would be better for her and certainly for her denomination and the church of Christ generally if she remained silent.

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians 14:34-35

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." 1 Timothy 2:11-14
She has no influence. Just leave it alone. Everyone should be a theologian but not everyone should be elevated as one. No need to have B-D-S. It's a real bad look.

The case would have to be made that she's having an impact or influence on church doctrine, denominational practice and continues to receive official endorsement. Rather, she's been confined to her own echo chamber. I dont desire that for her. She's a thinker and she's on target about some of the shortcomings of men but she's not somebody we want to elevate as authoritative. She never was. She's not the boogeyman everyone makes her out to be.

My problem with her attackers don't have anything to do with her or anything she promotes. We can weigh the usefulness of her sentiments and let the rest lie without the drama. If she's a threat to other denominations then maybe there is shaky ground to begin with.

Aimee Byrd has showed up a few times on woke preacher clips spouting what appears to be feminism. She interacts frequency with Beth Moore on Twitter where they give props to each other. I won't speak to the op video directly, but AB does not appear to be a positive thing for the church. It would be best if she stopped trying to be Beth Moore lite.
Thats my point. Her influence is becoming redundant. She will appeal to the Beth Moore crowd. Im sad if she goes that route but I dont see the threat.

Thats my point. Her influence is becoming redundant. She will appeal to the Beth Moore crowd. Im sad if she goes that route but I dont see the threat.
Beth Moore and Russell Moore were instrumental in splitting the SBC. Things are very, very bad for the SBC. It's absurd to me that you don't see Aimee Byrd being the OPC Beth Moore as being a problem.

I'm not saying that we should not combat error in our churches, but there is just something...not right... about a guy who has not even been ordained a year attacking both the PCA and the OPC from his tiny church in South Dakota in a 48 minute(!) video. Self-importance much?
Yeah, who is he exposing and incriminating ... himself maybe? Cage stage minus the maturity. I can spot my own.

Beth Moore and Russell Moore were instrumental in splitting the SBC. Things are very, very bad for the SBC. It's absurd to me that you don't see Aimee Byrd being the OPC Beth Moore as being a problem.
Byrd is not the poster child for the OPC.That may be a perception but I dont see any proof of that.

Byrd is not the poster child for the OPC.That may be a perception but I dont see any proof of that.
I don't agree when you say Byrd isn't a threat. I believe she is, very much so. In all of the videos I have seen of her she very much seems to want to be a celebrity. You can say ignore her, but she has started to gather a large following. Because of her association with Beth Moore, she is also getting a bunch of her followers as well. When you start injecting those types into the OPC it will create a recipe for disaster.

"She's insignificant" is simply not a valid Christian or pastoral response to error or false teaching in the church. Neither is case phase.

Quite frankly, we are looking at in the face of a PCA that is largely on board with Revoice and CRT, and and SBC that is starting to have actual female pastors and preachers along with a feminist agenda, and we're sitting here hearing "Byrd is insignificant in the OPC." This simply isn't a luxury we have.

I don't agree when you say Byrd isn't a threat. I believe she is, very much so. In all of the videos I have seen of her she very much seems to want to be a celebrity. You can say ignore her, but she has started to gather a large following. Because of her association with Beth Moore, she is also getting a bunch of her followers as well. When you start injecting those types into the OPC it will create a recipe for disaster.
I think you are helping to make my case. She is going to them and appealing to them.

I don't see her publishing with P&R anytime soon. She was bounced from MoS - We can argue the voices Im criticizing had an impact on that decision. But thats also the point. We can make the case for where she may cross the line without getting hysterical. It doesn't seem like she's that comfortable in the OPC. Not just because the bad behavior of men but maybe because she has to seek celebrity outside the denomination. If she wants celebrity, Beth Moore's circles are where it's at. But there's no need to push her out. Keep dialoguing with her. Maybe reach out to her after reading her books if you feel her influence is having a detrimental impact. Step outside of the tribe.

Or go to your (mature) pastors and have them reach out to her and they can express areas of concern if there is a women's conference with her entering your circles.

Im wondering who are the 'safe' women's conference speakers/writers?

Last edited:
Speak out publicly, or even privately, against her, and you'll see how incorrect this is.
What do you recommend? Church discipline? Ex-communication? What is the specific charge? We would have to actually read her books and find something that goes against our confession, no? I fear the GC crowd took the wind out of those sails.

Quite frankly, we are looking at in the face of a PCA that is largely on board with Revoice and CRT, and and SBC that is starting to have actual female pastors and preachers along with a feminist agenda, and we're sitting here hearing "Byrd is insignificant in the OPC." This simply isn't a luxury we have.
That's why I wouldn't join the PCA. Not my problem.

Yes. But her session won't even begin to investigate, despite repeated pleadings.

This is exactly what folks are doing.

How godly.
Ive criticized the PCA. It was not my place. What does my criticism do for the PCA ?

It may be that "Self Important" Pastors from "tiny churches" would fell less inclind to speak up in this manner if more established Pastors in large churches spoke up instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back