Alarming podcast and lecture on "revivalism"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandermsmith

Puritan Board Junior
The most recent Reformed Forum Christ the Center podcast is a discussion on "revivalism" and Reformed piety. It was held at the South Austin OPC fall conference, during which there was a lecture by Glen Clary on "The Kingdom, Communion and Revival". Both of these are deeply troubling.

(N.B. This post was originally posted on the Reformed Forum website under the podcast, so it does assume familiarity with the contents of that podcast at least. I've now edited it to make it easier to follow for those who haven't heard either audio. Please accept my apologies that I did not do this when I originally posted it.)

The discussion can be found at: http://reformedforum.org/ctc412/

Glen Clary's lecture can be found at: http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=11121521263010

Those involved in the discussion on the podcast were Jim Cassidy, D.G. Hart, Glen Clary, John Terpstra. Even knowing well the views of some of the men involved I was shocked at what I heard. Mr. Hart actually said, in relation to the idea of requiring conversion of those brought up in the church: "convert from what?" From death unto life! From the dominion of sin and of Satan to the kingdom of grace and Christ! I won't deny that the idea that regeneration is a lifelong process has some Reformed pedigree, but that doesn't make it right or helpful. Regeneration is an instantaneous act: the passing of death unto life, in an instant; the terminus point of the process of effectual calling. What is ongoing for the rest of the believer's life is sanctification, which is something quite different. A human being grows older all his life, but there was an instantaneous moment in which he came into being; became alive. One is either dead or alive: naturally and spiritually. This is clearly the majority view of the Reformed church.

Jim Cassidy at one point says that when ministerial candidates are being examined he "loves" to hear them say that they have "always" known Jesis Christ; that there isn't a moment in their experience that they have not known Him. I would say to Mr. Cassidy that, actually, if a ministerial candidate said "There was never a time when I didn't know Jesus Christ" you should be very concerned! If such a candidate said something of the substance of "from my perspective there was never a time when I didn't believe in God" then that might make sense, as those brought up in the church are told from their infancy that there is a God and that to believe in Him is normal. But that doesn't mean they truly believe in Him with faith, rather than a mere head knowledge and it certainly doesn't mean that they know Christ or are united to Him. To know Christ, savingly, requires three things: an intellectual knowledge of who He is as saviour of sinners; an assent to that knowledge, a believing it to be true and not merely an assertion; a trust in Christ that He will save me, personally and has saved me, personally- not merely that He saves sinners, but that He will save me. Consider the crossing of a river: one must know how to get across (the boat tethered to the bank); one must believe said boat will carry one over the river; and one must place his trust in the boat and actually get in it and cross over.

And I will also bring in Clary's address on revival and communion from the conference because it's referenced in the discussion and it is so egregious, so arrogant, so malicious it must be commented upon. The bulk of his lecture is a sustained attack- of his methods and character- on the 18th century minister Theodorus Frelinghuysen. He accuses Frelinghuysen of, when examining candidates for communicant membership, of not only judging their outward walk but of assuming that he can know their heart; basically that he, Frelinghuysen, can know for sure who are and aren't the elect. For someone who criticises Frelinghuysen for attempting to read the hearts of his congregants, Clary certainly has no compunction in reading Frelinghuysen's heart and slandering and condemning him. All because Frelinghuysen believed that a candidate for the Lord's Table should be able to give not only an uncontradicted profession of faith (what is necessary for admittance to Baptism for one's child) but an accredited profession of faith, i.e. a profession of saving faith, accredited by an experiential knowledge of Christ and union with Him.

A cursory reading of Frelinghuysen's sermons will show what care he had for his people's souls; how careful he was in the duties apportioned to him; how desirous he was to honour God. His care for the eternal state of his people's souls shines from the page and that was why he was so afraid that they would go into eternity with a lie in their right hand.

Yes it's a real lark to read Frelinghuysen's sermons- jumbled up I might add, taking paragraphs from here and there and putting them together for dramatic emphasis- in an hysterical pitch, as Clary does in his lecture, and mock a man who was clearly burdened by the fact that so many in his congregation were deluding themselves. Frelinghuysen came to that congregation. The sermons Clary quotes are from his early days in the ministry. He came to a congregation that was not in a good state, where, it would seem, many professors were unconverted, being mere formalists. He had to deal with that situation. It is pointless- and irresponsible- to address a congregation comprised mostly of adherents and formalists as if they are regenerated saints growing in grace.

And then Clary says that "Let a man examine himself" has nothing to do with looking in oneself for evidences of true experiential faith but about practical considerations in the administration of the supper. But this is just not true. 1 Corinthians 11:28 has always been understood as a personal examination as to whether one was in Christ; whether one had true faith; searching within oneself for marks of grace. Right back to Calvin that has been the understanding of that text: "By this, as I understand, he means that each individual should descend into himself; and consider, first, whether, with inward confidence of heart, he leans on the salvation obtained by Christ, and with confession of the mouth, acknowledges it; and, secondly, whether with zeal for purity and holiness he aspires to imitate Christ..." (John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, 1559 Edition, Book Fourth, Chapter 17:40, trd. Beveridge.) It is not an invention of "revivalism" but a consistent exposition of that text throughout the generations of the church.

And then, to finish it all off, they (in the discussion on the podcast) choose the Dutch Reformed church as the pinnacle of Reformed piety. This is beyond irony. To choose the branch of the Reformed church which lays most stress on personal experience in relation to coming to the Lord's Table; which is rife with hyper-calvinism; where there are congregation after congregation of hundreds, or even thousands, of "members" and adherents and yet only a tiny fraction will actually sit at the Table. There is much to admire about the Dutch churches, please don't misunderstand me, but this is a real problem within their ranks.

The only explanation one can think of for why they choose this period- beside the Dutch man sitting in their midst- is so they can take a potshot at the Puritans. No statement is too contorted or hypocritical or fork tongued to smear the Puritans, after all. Who, apparently, according to the men in the discussion, pitched form against experience. That is, the same Puritans who wrote the forms we still use, namely the Westminster Standards? Strange they would consider their own production antithetical to true religion.

There is a tradition which maintains a robust adherence to the Westminster Standards; which to this day, in certain pockets, catechises its children and examines prospective communicants by the Standards; which maintains the true purity of worship (i.e. absent the man made hymns, musical instruments and complicated services of OPC and PCA churches) and which also nurtures a deep, experiential piety. That is Scottish Presbyterianism and perhaps the men in this discussion should actually do a bit more research and discover for themselves that the arid desert in which they toil is not how it used to be.

This podcast was a mistake from start to finish. It was not "dying men speaking unto dying men" but dead men speaking unto dead.

P.S.

This post had a signature when I first posted it and for some reason it disappeared when I edited it. Here is my signature:

Alexander Smith
Member, Glasgow Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland
(FPCoS)
Glasgow, UK

Last edited:
This post is almost impossible to follow. I'd suggest editing for clarity. Especially make clear who said what and which portions are your commentary.

This is especially important if your claim is that "dead men" were speaking. That seems to imply that you believe these are men condemned to hell.

I think I know what you are saying. One increasingly common theme in some Reformed circles is to attack "revivalism." Revivalism could either mean Finney or Iain Murray.

I think I know what you are saying. One increasingly common theme in some Reformed circles is to attack "revivalism."

I've noticed the same thing. The problem is that revival is often rejected under the name of revivalism, and the rejection of revival is a virtual sentence to live a Christian life without seeking the refreshing influences of the blessed Holy Spirit.

Hart and RS Clark have said some real nasty things about Jonathan Edwards, Lloyd-Jones, Iain Murray, and anybody who smacks of "revivalism". They have a legitimate concern about modern charismatics and evangelicals questing after personal experiences with the Holy Spirit, to the neglect of scripture, and elevating the subjective over the objective. But they seem to overreact to the subjective so much that you wonder what sort of sense of the Lord's presence they have ever known, what reality of feasting on His word and having it come alive they have known, what they do with all the exhortations to joy and rejoicing.

I pray for revival all the time.

In defense of little kids being saved, there are many that truly believe at a very young age and never stop. They are right about that, although you can't presume it with an adult raised in the church. I hope you will read this about children, it is excellent: http://www.frame-poythress.org/indifferentism-and-rigorism/

I wouldn't get too upset about it. Many years ago I felt like I was in a superior group. God has ways to stomp down that arrogance and it can be very painful. They'll learn......

Here are my comments on Clark's analysis of Revivalism, taken from Recovering the Reformed Confessions

Clark's larger argument is that we should be suspicious of those who claim that we should have spiritual experiences outside the divinely-established means of grace and preaching of the Word. Admittedly, this is a fair point. Clark's antagonist is Martyn Lloyd-Jones (MLJ). MLJ repeatedly urged for a “revival” to come, understanding revival as an experimental outpouring of the Holy Spirit (Clark, 79). Clark rebuts him, noting that MLJ is advocating Calvin's doctrine without Calvin's sacramental piety. Clark does admit, though, that MLJ never used “revival” to manipulate his own people (81).

Clark takes issue with Iain Murray's distinction between “revival” and “revivalism.” In the first category would be Reformed evangelists like Edwards and Whitefield. In the latter category we have the horror of today's evangelicalism. Clark accuses Murray of using providence to justify revivals he likes but ignoring providence on revivals he doesn't like (81-82). Clark concludes his critique of Murray by asserting on Murray's gloss what unites true Christianity is “experience, not doctrine” (82).

Clark does a good job in pointing out some weaknesses in individual Reformed evangelists and in some of the more inane happenings in the First Great Awakening. He also points out what many are now beginning to realize: Jonathan Edwards departed from the Reformed confession on a number of key philosophical points. Clark also establishes that Harry Stout's narrative of Whitefield cannot be so easily dismissed.

There are some inconsistencies and factual errors in Clark's analysis, though. Murray does not simply lump the Arminian and Calvinistic revivals in the same category. He is very critical of the Second Great Awakening towards its end. Further, Murray does not promote experience over doctrine as the basis of unity. Murray is specifically arguing, however, that the communions in North America shared a common, if somewhat broad, doctrinal agreement on soteriological concerns. I would probably side with Clark on this one, since Murray's account downplays important ecclesial issues, but it is not the case that Murray simply compromised doctrinal agreement. Most importantly, however, is that Clark does not come to grips with Iain Murray's distinction between revival and revivalism. The latter is not merely hoping for the Spirit of God to be poured out as an alternative to the means of grace. It is more properly seen as “whooping and hollering” until the decisions come. Revival, on the other hand, is when God sovereignly displays his power among his people in an unusual way. Further, Clark seems to grant that distinction with regard to MLJ (Clark, 81) but not with Murray.

I suspect MLJ overplayed his hand on the importance of revival. Clark is correct on one point: the church's sanctification is through the means of grace and discipline. That is the established norm. I think I can also argue, though, that MLJ's views can be modified and accommodate some of Clark's concerns on this point. MLJ strongly argued “that the New Testament appeal to sanctification is always an appeal to the reason of the believing man” (Murray, The Fight of Faith, 173). Of course, one would need to supplement this statement with a discussion on the Lord's Supper, but it is a good start.

While Clark is correct that MLJ probably doesn't represent good Reformed ecclesiology, MLJ's exegesis is not so easily dismissed. In any case, MLJ does encourage his congregation to delight in the day of small things and to be careful in seeking “phenomena.” That at least must be granted. I agree with Clark that MLJ was perhaps a bit too dismissive of anyone who disagreed with him. That was not helpful on the latter's part.

I fear that Clark's model of QIRE, while valuable, can be overused to filter out any contrary evidence. Further, it does not account for a lot of the Puritans' experiences where they were in fact met with much of the Spirit of God. At this point if Clark dismisses them and uses Calvin's praxis against them, then it is hard to see how he is not adopting some form of the Calvin vs. Calvinists scheme.

Here are my comments on Clark's analysis of Revivalism, taken from Recovering the Reformed Confessions

Thankyou, Jacob; helpful analysis.

I would just add that the means of grace are of prime importance, and it is always a shame to see a disinterest in them from those who profess to be witnessing for Christ; but the means of grace should also be nurturing a broader piety in which Christians are able to live out their faith and witness in the world, and to seek the work and power of the Holy Spirit beyond the church worship service. For all their faults, men like Edwards and Whitefield remind us that our Christian faith is not confined to the church because it is exercised in the God of the whole earth who is calling all nations to come and bow down before Him.

I would just add that the means of grace are of prime importance, and it is always a shame to see a disinterest in them from those who profess to be witnessing for Christ; but the means of grace should also be nurturing a broader piety in which Christians are able to live out their faith and witness in the world, and to seek the work and power of the Holy Spirit beyond the church worship service. For all their faults, men like Edwards and Whitefield remind us that our Christian faith is not confined to the church because it is exercised in the God of the whole earth who is calling all nations to come and bow down before Him.

This subject has been on my mind for the last few weeks and what has been evident in my life is that the means of saving grace comes from within the institution of the church where our elders work, and the revivalism that is so widespread today practically dispels any need for an Ordained Minister. What has "freed" me from this revivalism is knowing what my vocation is in being a husband, father, and good neighbor to all men, and that it is not being a Minister. Salvation is so much more than Justification and I realize the means of sanctification as dispensed by our Ordained Ministers is vital to a life for Jesus.

As a side note...I have heard the story of men reading a bible while plowing a field after The First Great Awakening, which sounds good but not very practical, or safe, and has for quite while stuck me as comical in that can you imagine a truck driver doing the same on a large highway? I think if I were a policeman I would give the truck drive a ticket and if I were Whitefield I would tell the farmer to plow the field and not ruin the potatoes. :)

You're welcome. I really struggled with Dr Clark's book, primarily because I liked where he was going. But I just couldn't write off Edwards and Whitefield.

I, for the most part, found the podcast interesting and useful. Generally speaking they're contending for that which they see revivalism attacking or subverting in the following aspects of historical and confessional Reformed piety and praxis:

1. A Christian piety that is centered around the God-given means of grace administered in public worship
2. Christian covenantal nurture and catechesis
3. A high view of ordained, ecclesiastical ministry

They see, I think rightly, what in what they call revivalism a tendency to instead substitute:

1. Piety centered on private experience and irregular gatherings of laypersons
2. Crisis conversionism and a practical uncovenanting of the youth
3. Every-member/lay ministry

Hart isn't a theologian, rather he's a historian. With that in mind, it must be remembered that he's more interested in tracing broad trends of historical and intellectual development rather than strict exegesis. He's less interested in the exceptions who can hold the first group and the second together even as he's occasionally allowed for them. He is, rather, lamenting the loss of the first set in contemporary American Christianity and many churches which consider themselves Reformed and is trying to trace how that loss occurred. I think that's valuable even if you disagree with some of his conclusions along the way.

I would also add that my suspicion is that he, like Nevin did, tends to use "Puritan" in a sense in which it describes a historical tendency terminating in the American New Siders/New Lights and traced mainly through English congregationalism rather than in the more common, broader sense where it would just as well describe Covenanter divines.

Last edited:
I missed the part in the CTC discussion where the participants were just tearing down the people with whom they differ, ripping on Whitefield, etc.

Maybe this just wasn't the discussion the listener thought he was going to hear when he tuned in?

These guys are under no obligation to affirm all views, nor refrain from criticizing things they disagree with.

The conversation was overwhelmingly positive, focused on what they think should be the case, while the contrast to what they disagree with was mainly conspicuous by its absence... and the fact is: such a <space> that was left has been invaded by harsh criticism, and thus their general assessment of the present landscape seems validated, in my view.

And, the participants more than once went out of their way to diverge from any view promotional of of "rote" exhibitions of genuine piety.

By all means, listen to the podcast; it's a good one.

Last edited:
What has "freed" me from this revivalism is knowing what my vocation is in being a husband, father, and good neighbor to all men, and that it is not being a Minister. Salvation is so much more than Justification and I realize the means of sanctification as dispensed by our Ordained Ministers is vital to a life for Jesus.

Earl, I encourage you to press on in your freedom as it is the freedom which our Saviour gives. But also, in supporting an ordained ministry, there is a fellowship (partenership) in the gospel mission to the ends of the earth, a vision to see the word of God spread abroad, Christ exalted, and the kingdom extended, as well as a love for individual souls in doing what we can to make them partakers of our peace.

Hart isn't a theologian, rather he's a historian.

Point taken; but he does seem to venture into theological waters on a regular basis, and here he is especially speaking on "the doctrine of the spirituality of the church," setting forth a view of the church which restricts its influence on the broader life of men. As he notes in the podcast, the Word is powerful. Indeed; so why may it not exercise its influence on politicians?

Covenant nurture is important but it ought not to be set over against personal religion. Effectual calling is important. Conviction of sin, enlightenment in the knowledge of Christ, and renewal of will are personal elements which must be pressed in covenant nurture. A nurture devoid of these personal elements is not covenantal.

I would say to TheOldCourse and Contra_Mundum that if these men were looking to address general trends and not focus on the "exceptions", then why bring up Frelinghuysen? Why did Clary spend two thirds of his talk attacking Frelinghuysen, and the remainder attacking Tennent? Frelinghuysen's sermons are full of the Heidelberg catechism and he was a staunch advocate of church discipline and the means of grace. If these men were interested in talking about those who undermined the confessions and the means of grace and the visible church they picked the worst person to hold up as an example of that.

But they weren't really talking about those who undermined the means of grace. Very little of their discussion was actually about those churches which ignore the means of grace. What they were more interested in was criticising experiential religion, which is why they brought up Frelinghuysen and threw in their digs against the Puritans.

Contra_Mundum: well, saying what should be the case is just a nice way of saying "complaining about what is the case", which isn't exactly being positive. And I think it's a bit curious for men who are Sabbath breakers and don't even adhere to the regulative principle of worship, or the Establishment principle to criticise other ministers- whose ministries' abundant fruit is testified to by history- for not adhering to the confessional standards.

This is especially important if your claim is that "dead men" were speaking. That seems to imply that you believe these are men condemned to hell.

Well Mr. Hart explicitly denied the need for conversion in those brought up in the church and just in case this could be put down to a misunderstanding of word definitions (which would be charitable in the extreme) he also, explicitly, denies the reality of an "instantaneous" change in the life of the sinner, whether that be conversion or regeneration or the new birth or whatever you want to call it (it's all three).

And Mr. Cassidy specifically differentiated between those who were pagans and then became believers- not regenerated, but believers which is a broader term- and those brought up in the church. The implication being that those brought up in the church should not be expected to go through such a change.

All of this, and the fact that all seemed to be in agreement with these sentiments, would suggest to me that it's not I who am saying they are unconverted but themselves.

I would say to TheOldCourse and Contra_Mundum that if these men were looking to address general trends and not focus on the "exceptions", then why bring up Frelinghuysen? Why did Clary spend two thirds of his talk attacking Frelinghuysen, and the remainder attacking Tennent? Frelinghuysen's sermons are full of the Heidelberg catechism and he was a staunch advocate of church discipline and the means of grace. If these men were interested in talking about those who undermined the confessions and the means of grace and the visible church they picked the worst person to hold up as an example of that.

But they weren't really talking about those who undermined the means of grace. Very little of their discussion was actually about those churches which ignore the means of grace. What they were more interested in was criticising experiential religion, which is why they brought up Frelinghuysen and threw in their digs against the Puritans.

Contra_Mundum: well, saying what should be the case is just a nice way of saying "complaining about what is the case", which isn't exactly being positive. And I think it's a bit curious for men who are Sabbath breakers and don't even adhere to the regulative principle of worship, or the Establishment principle to criticise other ministers- whose ministries' abundant fruit is testified to by history- for not adhering to the confessional standards.

The guys at ReformedForum are Sabbath breakers?

Mr. Hart certainly is.

If you don't mind, please substantiate that point. As far as I am aware, he does adhere to the continuing validity of the fourth commandment. I could be mistaken, however.

Accepting that the Fourth Commandment still applies, and applying it correctly are two different things. His blog is littered with personal anecdotes which show that he does not keep the Sabbath according to the Biblical standard. The fact he posts on the Sabbath itself shows this.

A.S., you are engaging in some "detracting," and "tale bearing," (WLC 145) here, which will cease forthwith.

Mr. Smith:

I am on record (which is to say, published in several places) as defending at least certain emphases of the New Side and of being, together with Charles Hodge (and the Princetonians more broadly), a champion of the reunion of Old Side/New Side Reunion of 1758. I've been critical of those who've appeared at times to me to be overly-critical of Edwards and others. I could cite such articles if necessary.

That having been said, I take issue with the tone that you've adopted here with respect to the brothers on the Reformed Forum. Not only are they friends of mine (with whom I may differ about this or that, as is customarily the case with friends), but I've no idea what you are talking about when you cite "Sabbath breakers." Confessionalists in the American context do not, in the main, hold to the Establishment principle and the RPW is not uniformly interpreted--I readily grant this and these are all legitimate items for discussion.

But if the "Sabbath-breakers" charge was not bad enough, you also appear, unless I misunderstand you, to conclude that these men are "unconverted," though you do so by saying that they themselves appear to acknowledge such. I find such a "charge" unconscionable and I call upon you publicly to repudiate such. Again, differ with these men as you like in how they are understanding history and theology here, but to say that they are Sabbath-breakers and to imply that they are unconverted is simply wrong.

Peace,
Alan

His blog is littered with personal anecdotes which show that he does not keep the Sabbath according to the Biblical standard.

Such as? I don't follow blogs closely, so we would need to see more evidence - otherwise you are asking us to accept tale-bearing against an ordained elder, which is a violation of scripture and the Larger Catechism.

The fact he posts on the Sabbath itself shows this.

No, it does not. Have you ever posted on PB on the Sabbath? If so, what is the difference?

But if the "Sabbath-breakers" charge was not bad enough, you also appear, unless I misunderstand you, to conclude that these men are "unconverted," though you do so by saying that they themselves appear to acknowledge such. I find such a "charge" unconscionable and I call upon you publicly to repudiate such.

Alan, this point seems to grow out of a rather weak covenant-theology that I detected in the OP. The poster does not seem to accept the proposition that we should expect covenant children to be regenerate, and thus not have the same sort of "conversion narrative" that you might expect from converted pagans.

Hart isn't a theologian, rather he's a historian.

Point taken; but he does seem to venture into theological waters on a regular basis, and here he is especially speaking on "the doctrine of the spirituality of the church," setting forth a view of the church which restricts its influence on the broader life of men. As he notes in the podcast, the Word is powerful. Indeed; so why may it not exercise its influence on politicians?

Covenant nurture is important but it ought not to be set over against personal religion. Effectual calling is important. Conviction of sin, enlightenment in the knowledge of Christ, and renewal of will are personal elements which must be pressed in covenant nurture. A nurture devoid of these personal elements is not covenantal.

I Really appreciate all of your post in this thread Rev. Winzer. I think your post capture the balance that we ought to have as followers of Christ. So often men put forth views that end up in one unbiblical ditch while crying out against the other ditch and completely missing the mark that we call balance.

Thanks again brother!

Last edited:

:amen:

Original post edited for clarification. Apologies this wasn't done originally.

Hi Alexander,

First I want to say that I see where you're coming from. In many ways I share the same concerns when I hear brethren (and yes they are my brethren) on different podcast chatting about topics that I believe to be un-biblical. With that said, I hope you will find the rest of my post helpful.

Though I agree with you I'm going to have to say that you're assessment was overly harsh. If anything, we have to be patient with those whom we disagree with (1 Thess. 5:14). I can't tell you how many times I've listened to the Reformed Forum and heard things that I disagree with. As a Baptist I'll have to say their conversations about infant baptism has been the most trying for me. But, there's several ways that I think you can address your concerns:

1. You could just ignore it. If you find that you cant handle the topic at hand than (for your own sake) it would be best to just avoid it altogether. I also doubt the subject matter that is being discussed will have any affect on the average member in your church. I've learned to avoid listening to brethren when they discuss infant baptism because it can (at times) make me angry. Why put yourself through that if you don't have to?

2. You could reach out to at least one (or all) of the men on the podcast. Brother Cassidy is a Facebook friend of mine. I think he's a good brother in the faith. I don't agree with everything he says but he's always been nice enough to answer my questions via private chat. Have you done that?

3. And finally, just pray for brothers in the faith. This sort of goes back to number one but if you feel you need to just separate yourself from certain brethren than do it. I think you have enough biblical support from the New Testament to do that. If you feel these men are idle in their discussions than avoid it and follow the apostle Paul's exhortation when he says: "...note that person and do not keep company with him,...Yet do not count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother" (2 Thess 3: 14-15). These men are your brothers in the Lord so you're going to have to find a better way to reach out to THEM. And if all else fails, pray for them with all sincerity.

I suspect this wasn't the first episode of the Reformed forum that you've taken the time to listen to. If not, than I'll go ahead and assume you've been greatly blessed by their labors in past episodes. If so, "let's give credit where credit is do." Let's not jump the gun just yet. If anything give thanks to the Lord for how they may have helped you on different topics and take up your beef with them privately. In this "wicked and adulterous generation" that we're living in I think we have enough evidence to suggest that these men are for us, not against us.

In Christ,
Tyrese

I suspect MLJ overplayed his hand on the importance of revival. Clark is correct on one point: the church's sanctification is through the means of grace and discipline. That is the established norm. I think I can also argue, though, that MLJ's views can be modified and accommodate some of Clark's concerns on this point. MLJ strongly argued “that the New Testament appeal to sanctification is always an appeal to the reason of the believing man” (Murray, The Fight of Faith, 173). Of course, one would need to supplement this statement with a discussion on the Lord's Supper, but it is a good start.

MLJ's error was not that of overplaying his hand on the importance of revival. His error was mis-identifying the historic Reformed doctrine of assurance with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit later in his career in "Joy Unspeakable." His earlier writings on assurance, however, are solidly confessional.

I fear that Clark's model of QIRE, while valuable, can be overused to filter out any contrary evidence. Further, it does not account for a lot of the Puritans' experiences where they were in fact met with much of the Spirit of God. At this point if Clark dismisses them and uses Calvin's praxis against them, then it is hard to see how he is not adopting some form of the Calvin vs. Calvinists scheme.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back