Alexander Henderson's Sermons - NEW BOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
There are a number of works that I've had the pleasure of working on and reading, and rereading. This is DEFINITELY one of the best. Henderson is awesome.
I'm going to work on an intro video to this book to talk about some of the teachings Henderson did on Ephesians, and Hebrews, as well as the Psalms. Great preaching!

Hardback and eBook are now available.

eBook:
Sermons, Prayers, and Pulpit Addresses - Alexander Henderson | The Puritan Shop

Hardback:
Sermons, Prayers, and Pulpit Addresses (Hardcover)

View attachment 2753

Henderson was very important to the Second Reformation. It seems to me like he rarely gets the attention he desrves. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would totally agree. Henderson is an important figure. There are a number of works still needing to be reprinted for him, but they are tough to come by.

Henderson's sermon at the excommunication of the bishops at the second reformation and meeting of the Scottish General Assembly of 1638 is rare; but the MS on which it is based was not the best as far as preserving what it must have been like. His sermons before the English parliament are much better examples of his preaching and in print now in the recent Naphtali Press edition of Sermons Preached Before the English Houses of Parliament by the Scottish Commissioners to the Westminster Assembly of Divines 1643-1645. I think Henderson also has a short piece on taking up defensive arms. Gillespie's take on the same was deemed too radical if I recall; it is not extant as far as I know.

Chris - which of these are in the volume you published, if any, by Henderson:

Preparing for Covenant Renewal
The Covenant with a Narrative
The Declaration of Mr. Alexander Henderson
Speeches Delivered before the Subscribing of the Covenant
Reformation of Church Government in Scotland
Sermon on Matthew 14:21 before the House of Commons
Sermon on Ezra 7:23 before the House of Commons

The Scots sermon volumes has his three sermons, Ezra 7:23 to the Commons, in 1643, John:18:36-37 to the Lords, in 1645, and Matthew 14:31 to both, a thanksgiving sermon for the victory at Marston Moor, 1644. So the first and last are the last two items on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back