Alexander Petrie on prophecies concerning Solomon finding their fulfillment in Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Some prophecies speak plainly of Christ, and cannot be understood of another; Esa. 9.6. Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given,—his name shall be called Wonderful, &c. Some are typical or delivered with covers of things signifying Christ, his offices and benefits. And of these some are spoken of the type or thing signifying, and can be understood only of the thing signified, and some are true both of the type and of Christ either in the same or in a different manner, that is, some are true of both in a proper sense; some are true of both in a tropical or figurative sense; and some are true of the one properly, and of the other figuratively.

All these sorts are manifest in sundry prophecies: here I touch one for all. 2 Sam. 7.12. When thy days be fulfilled, and thou shall sleep with thy fathers, (saith the Lord unto David) I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, & I will establish his kingdom. This was true in the person of Solomon and of Christ too properly. V. 13, He shall build an house for my name. This was true of Solomon in the proper acceptation of the word house, & figuratively of Christ, who said Mat. 16.18, Upon this rock will I build my Church. It follows; I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever. This was not true of Solomon in respect of his person (for he died) nether of his posterity, from whom Jacob had foretold that the sceptre should depart at the coming of Shiloh Gen. 49.10, but of Christ it is true: for his throne is established for ever and ever Heb. 1.8. v. 14. I will be his father, and he shall be my son. This is true of Solomon in respect of adoption, and of Christ in respect of eternal generation. ...

For more, see:

https://reformedcovenanter.wordpres...-solomon-finding-their-fulfillment-in-Christ/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back