All Hallow's Eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
Kinda surprised this one hasn't come up yet, but I'd like to discuss Halloween, more specifically reasons for abstaining.
I've searched previous threads and found some links, but many are outdated so the links are bad. Do any members have articles, sermons, links to share on reasoning against Christians celebrating Halloween? Thank you in advance.

Well, in the Dallas area, Ebola might be a good reason for folks not wanting to interact with more people than they have to. So you might not need to reach the theology this year.

Well, in the Dallas area, Ebola might be a good reason for folks not wanting to interact with more people than they have to. So you might not need to reach the theology this year.

I'm not 100% sure if you're serious...if you are I do not agree with this line of thinking - I try to make it a point not to make fear-based decisions.

Handing out Gospel tracts along with candy seems to be a good idea.

Fortunately, Halloween isn't thar big here in New Zealand.

Well, we have moved to celebrating Reformation Day and have a party that we go to with others that really is fun and blessed. Definitely a better alternative to Halloween.

Well, we have moved to celebrating Reformation Day and have a party that we go to with others that really is fun and blessed. Definitely a better alternative to Halloween.

So should we replace Halloween with Reformation Day on the church calendar? ;)

Reformation Day is an historical event that should be remembered, and celebrated if so desired. Does that make it mark of an official ecclesiastical calendar?

Reformation Day is an historical event that should be remembered, and celebrated if so desired. Does that make it mark of an official ecclesiastical calendar?

It would help to remember Josh's ecclesiastical calendar which marks a holiday every Sunday - and at no other times. Reformation Day is important for us to remember, but not a holiday to be celebrated in a worship service. Preach on Reformation themes, sure, but do not worship the day or the reformers. Preach Christ and Him crucified.

So should we replace Halloween with Reformation Day on the church calendar? ;)

I would think so! :)

I put the ;) because I see no problem with remembering those that have died in faith and now reside in heaven as in Halloween. I also have no problem with remembering the fact of the reformation. Though I would have a problem with assigning either as official day to be put on a calendar as we do for Sunday. :)

We have a dinner and worship service with the surrounding OPC churches, this year on Oct. 26. It's wonderful to stand with part of the regional church and praise the Christ who has preserved his people throughout the ages.

If you squint hard enough you will see my advertisement at the annual candy hand out performed on Oct 31 at my house:

AMROct'12.jpg
Click to enlarge

We should not try to mimic pagan festivals or Christianize pagan festivals. It doesn't matter if Halloween has evolved and is no longer identical with Samhain.

But then how do we apply "whether we eat, or drink, or whatever we do, do it all for the glory of God?"

This verse doesn't necessarily mean that we are to try and redeem everything though. Do you think there are some things that we should leave pagan and just not have anything to do with?

One thing I sometimes wonder about is to what extent are we to participate or separate from culture? Especially when cultural artifacts have lost and changed their meaning (does the garment stained by the flesh or the "appearance of evil" ever cease to be so?)? When does the "pagan origins" argument hold and when does it not? Are there other modern cultural considerations that would cause one to separate? And if so, why separate entirely and not just from the pagan day, since it seems two days are celebrated: one pagan and the other secular?

(As a note, I don't celebrate, but these questions on interaction with culture are not entirely clear in my mind.)

The reasons for abstaining are self-evident. I think it says enough that people dress their children as skeletons, witches, mummies and other sick things. The adult costumes get worse. Some transform their front lawns into graveyards haunted by a hideous ghoul or plant dismembered limbs around their premises. It's all a mockery of God's curse for sin.

The reasons for abstaining are self-evident. I think it says enough that people dress their children as skeletons, witches, mummies and other sick things. The adult costumes get worse. Some transform their front lawns into graveyards haunted by a hideous ghoul or plant dismembered limbs around their premises. It's all a mockery of God's curse for sin.

Yup. Everyone keeps stating that Halloween is harmless, but as I mentioned in another thread, even if you do you best to abstain from all the spookiness/evil, it's nearly impossible.

Do any members have articles, sermons, links to share on reasoning against Christians celebrating Halloween? Thank you in advance.
Hi Andres. Yeah, why would anyone want to participate in a thing and dress and act like a thing which supposes or pretends - "Frankenstein", a created life dead body parts put together and raised to life (God like creation of life), "Dracula", immortal being (God like) living off drinking blood which the Bible says to abstain from, "Mummies", returning from the dead (Again God like raising of the dead), "Witches" which the Bible condemns, "Zombies", eating human flesh and drinking the blood, "Ghosts", spirits that can do what they want and are not where the Bible says they are, "Demons & Devils", why want to be one????? Its all anti God. And too there is the teaching of children that all this is fun "oh aren't you a cute little Devil here's some candy" "oh what a cool looking Frankenstein you are, here have some chocolate" "wheee, a little Dracula immortal being that drinks blood, have some sweets", "why you sweet little Witch, have a lolly". Mathew 18 v 6.

Do any members have articles, sermons, links to share on reasoning against Christians celebrating Halloween? Thank you in advance.
Hi Andres. Yeah, why would anyone want to participate in a thing and dress and act like a thing which supposes or pretends - "Frankenstein", a created life dead body parts put together and raised to life (God like creation of life), "Dracula", immortal being (God like) living off drinking blood which the Bible says to abstain from, "Mummies", returning from the dead (Again God like raising of the dead), "Witches" which the Bible condemns, "Zombies", eating human flesh and drinking the blood, "Ghosts", spirits that can do what they want and are not where the Bible says they are, "Demons & Devils", why want to be one????? Its all anti God. And too there is the teaching of children that all this is fun "oh aren't you a cute little Devil here's some candy" "oh what a cool looking Frankenstein you are, here have some chocolate" "wheee, a little Dracula immortal being that drinks blood, have some sweets", "why you sweet little Witch, have a lolly". Mathew 18 v 6.

I agree completely but you know people are just going to counter, "oh we don't dress like that...my kids are going as superhero and princess". How would you respond to them?

"This verse doesn't necessarily mean that we are to try and redeem everything though. Do you think there are some things that we should leave pagan and just not have anything to do with? "

Well, I'd say anything that is, in and of itself, sinful. I wouldn't try to redeem a strip club by putting Bible verses on the wall, or donate snacks to an abortion clinic. If there's an earthquake, I'm not helping rebuild the muslim mosque (although I'd certainly do all I could to pull out and stabilize anyone hurt). I wouldn't be a water passer at a "Run For Euthanasia." Those are places/activities/activities dedicated to evil. But something like dressing in costumes and going door to door for candy, I am not sure that is in and of itself sinful. I'd much prefer to celebrate Oct. 31 as Reformation Day, though, because I think it is such a hugely significant part of our history and that we should all be very well educated about it, as well as very grateful that it happened.

Hi Andres. Guess its a bit like those who do Christmas but say they don't do the Santa bit and only focus on Jesus. This is me how I see it, its the roots and if the roots are bad it follows that the tree will be too, no matter how much tinsel and baubles you put on it. You can dress it up how you like but it doesn't change what it really is. Say there was over the centuries a St Bartholomew Days feast that started with it being in celebration of what happened on that day in history, the massacre, but over time and centuries later people just got together on that day to meet with family and friends to have a friendly meal. Would I go to one and partake? A few years ago I met a guy who was wearing an original Nazi Death Head ring. I asked him if he knew what he was wearing, who the previous/original owner was and what he may have done. What that ring would represent to a Jewish person who had family killed back then by those who wore such things. He replied "oh this is only a jewellery piece now and has nothing to do with that back then". People like what they like and will soften anything up to suit and make every excuse under the sun to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back