All sins are forgiven but one

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
Have you ever heard this argument? That when Christ died all sins were forgiven of all people except one, the only sin NOT paid for is their rejection of the Spirit.

I have never heard this craziness!

Have any of you?

Umm....how do we have that one "extra" sin forgiven, then? Who's blood pays for it, if not Christ's?

Yes, I have heard it. Unbelief. It's an Arminian argument used to stand their ground on the will of man.

John Owen wrote a short little ditty on this very subject. It is like 3 or 4 lines long, but excellent. I'll try to find it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and how to locate it. Please post it.

[Edited on 1-27-2005 by ANT]

Are you referring to....

Either Christ died for all the sins of all men, and therefore all men are going to heaven
OR
Christ died for some of the sins of all men, in which case no one can enter heaven because we all have some sin left to account for
OR
Christ died for all the sins of some men, in which case those elected by God unto salvation have all their sins forgiven.

I'm paraphrasing, of course, but I think this is what you are refering to, Ant.

Originally posted by sastark
Are you referring to....

Either Christ died for all the sins of all men, and therefore all men are going to heaven
OR
Christ died for some of the sins of all men, in which case no one can enter heaven because we all have some sin left to account for
OR
Christ died for all the sins of some men, in which case those elected by God unto salvation have all their sins forgiven.

I'm paraphrasing, of course, but I think this is what you are refering to, Ant.

Yes, this is what I was referring to. Thanks for posting it. Normally, I would have remembered it, but now my mind is clouded with alot going on. Thanks again!

Mat 12:31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Scott,

And since all of a Christian's sins are forgiven, then a Christian has not committed this sin.

All of my sins are forgiven on the basis of Christ's substitutionary death on the cross.
The blasephemy of the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
Therefore, I have not and will not commit the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Here's a worse variation, I actually heard this on "Christian" radio one day:
Jesus died to pay for ALL the sin of the world (ala: as they read Jn. 3:16). Therefore men go to hell, NOT for SIN, but for unbelief, which by their definition, cannot be SIN, or else it would be paid for.

What is unbelief, then, if not sin? A mistake? Bad judgment? Miscalculation? They make it sound like ending up in the lake of fire is not judical at all; just an unfortunant consequence.

Perverse sort of logic. Ah, the lengths some will go to hold their views. (And they say Calvinists are bound by a "theological system")

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Mat 12:31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Henry's thoughts:

[1.] What this sin; it is speaking against the Holy Ghost. See what malignity there is in tongue-sins, when the only unpardonable sin is so. But Jesus knew their thoughts, Mat_12:25. It is not all speaking against the person or essence of the Holy Ghost, or some of his more private operations, or merely the resisting of his internal working in the sinner himself, that is here meant; for who then should be saved? It is adjudged in our law, that an act of indemnity shall always be construed in favour of that grace and clemency which is the intention of the act; and therefore the exceptions in the act are not to be extended further than needs must. The gospel is an act of indemnity; none are excepted by name, nor any by description, but those only that blaspheme the Holy Ghost; which therefore must be construed in the narrowest sense: all presuming sinners are effectually cut off by the conditions of the indemnity, faith and repentance; and therefore the other exceptions must not be stretched far: and this blasphemy is excepted, not for any defect of mercy in God or merit in Christ, but because it inevitably leaves the sinner in infidelity and impenitency. We have reason to think that none are guilty of this sin, who believe that Christ is the Son of God, and sincerely desire to have part in his merit and mercy: and those who fear they have committed this sin, give a good sign that they have not. The learned Dr. Whitby very well observes, that Christ speaks not of what should be (Mar_3:28; Luk_12:10); Whosoever shall blaspheme. As for those who blasphemed Christ when he was here upon earth, and called him a Winebibber, a Deceiver, a Blasphemer, and the like, they had some colour of excuse, because of the meanness of his appearance, and the prejudices of the nation against him; and the proof of his divine mission was not perfected till after his ascension; and therefore, upon their repentance, they shall be pardoned: and it is hoped that they may be convinced by the pouring out of the Spirit, as many of them were, who had been his betrayers and murderers. But if, when the Holy Ghost is given, in his inward gifts of revelation, speaking with tongues, and the like, such as were the distributions of the Spirit among the apostles, if they continue to blaspheme the Spirit likewise, as an evil spirit, there is no hope of them that they will ever be brought to believe in Christ; for First, Those gifts of the Holy Ghost in the apostles were the last proof that God designed to make use of for the confirming of the gospel, and were still kept in reserve, when other methods preceded. Secondly, This was the most powerful evidence, and more apt to convince than miracles themselves. Thirdly, Those therefore who blaspheme this dispensation of the Spirit, cannot possibly be brought to believe in Christ; those who shall impute them to a collusion with Satan, as the Pharisees did the miracles, what can convince them? This is such a strong hold of infidelity as a man can never be beaten out of, and is therefore unpardonable, because hereby repentance is hid from the sinner's eyes.
[2.] What the sentence is that is passed upon it; It shall not be forgiven, neither in this world, nor in the world to come. As in the then present state of the Jewish church, there was no sacrifice of expiation for the soul that sinned presumptuously; so neither under the dispensation of gospel grace, which is often in scripture called the world to come, shall there be any pardon to such as tread underfoot the blood of the covenant, and do despite to the Spirit of grace: there is no cure for a sin so directly against the remedy. It was a rule in our old law, No sanctuary for sacrilege. Or, It shall be forgiven neither now, in the sinner's own conscience, nor in the great day, when the pardon shall be published. Or, this is a sin that exposes the sinner both to temporal and eternal punishment, both to present wrath and the wrath to come.

Matthew

"Those therefore who blaspheme this dispensation of the Spirit, cannot possibly be brought to believe in Christ; those who shall impute them to a collusion with Satan, as the Pharisees did the miracles, what can convince them? This is such a strong hold of infidelity as a man can never be beaten out of, and is therefore unpardonable, because hereby repentance is hid from the sinner's eyes."

This seems to me to be the crux of it. I think to commit this sin now one would have to do as Henry suggests. How could any believer possibly do this?

I've heard of this versed being used as a rod to try and force new/young believers to "speak in tongues" or participate in other such activities. I.e. They suggest that if you reject the Holy Spirit's ourpouring and don't perform action X then you can't ever be saved. My heart aches for those who are so misled.

Matthew

Bruce,

I've heard that one too. The problem is - is that unbelief is the chief sin from which all other sins proceed.

lh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back