Am I Praeterist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I was borrowing a couple of commentaries on Daniel and emailed him a commentary which is praeterist in outlook. He had obviously read it and asked if I was praeterist in outlook. He apparently does not know anyone who is? Is he working on the assumption that all his acquaintances are pre-millenial (Hal Linsey and that lot)?

I am familiar with the term amillennial which I am reasonably comfortable with. I expect a move to be made against Israel that will trigger Divine intervention then that's it! Israel turns to Jesus and the Day of judgment is ushered in. [I am simplifying a little bit]

We are living in the end times and with Egypt and the middle-east destabilising I can forsee things being wound up in a couple of weeks once the dominos start to topple not thousands of years.

Does that make me a preterist? Should preterist have an a?;)

We are living in the end times and with Egypt and the middle-east destabilising I can forsee things being wound up in a couple of weeks once the dominos start to topple not thousands of years.

That sounds more Dispensational than anything.

I was borrowing a couple of commentaries on Daniel and emailed him a commentary

You borrowed a couple of commentaries on Daniel, but you didn't email Daniel, or at least the same Daniel the commentaries were on.;)

praeterist in outlook

You have to be careful with praeterist/preterist. I'm a bit preterist but full or hyper-preterism is a recent completely off-the-wall and heretical movement that says the visible, physical, Second Advent of Christ, the resurrection and the final judgment were accomplished in AD 70.

You sound like a futurist amillennialist. But futurists are usually dispensational premillennialists. So maybe this aspect of your general eschatology is in transition. A lot of standard amils are idealists regarding interpreting Revelation.

It's a difficult subject that should be taken with a pinch of salt, the study of chapters 6-19 of Revelation with preterist, historicist, idealist and futurist views or a combination thereof.

Then on chapter 20 you have amil, premil and postmil.

William Hendriksen's commentary is a balanced, sound, Reformed and amil approach to Revelation:

More Than Conquerors: Amazon.co.uk: W. Hendriksen: Books

Richard Bewes's book will be of a similar ilk, I would think, except shorter:

LAMB WINS, THE: Amazon.co.uk: BEWES RICHARD: Books

I haven't read either of them, but I know that there will be nothing "whacky" or "whacko" about them.

the end times

We've been living in "the end times" since AD 33, or AD 70 at the latest.

Last edited:
I used to be brainwashed also. Then I came to the light and embraced the Biblical and Historical truth of Amillennialism. I even went to a seminary that was entrenched in moderate dispensationalism. Go figure! ;)

You have to be careful with praeterist/preterist. I'm a bit preterist but full or hyper-preterism is a recent completely off-the-wall and heretical movement that says the visible, physical, Second Advent of Christ, the resurrection and the final judgment were accomplished in AD 70.
Hyper-Praeterists believe this was accompanied by the Praetorian Guard...

Try not to worry overly about which camp you do or don't fall into. It seems to me that much error in eschatology is perpetuated because people think that if they believe X then they are in Camp A and must also believe Y and Z for the sake of consistency, (even to the point of inconsistency with other parts of Scripture which don't speak directly about eschatology).

We've been living in "the end times" since AD 33, or AD 70 at the latest.

Just to agree with Richard, and maybe for edification of your friend, I note that Hebrews 1:2 speaks of the "last days" in the present tense and uses the Greek word ἐσχάτου (as in eschatology) to make the point. The last days or end times began during the time of the apostles--I would think a Biblically literate premillennial would have to concede at least that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back