American History (Book Recommendations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Ellen Nagle

Puritan Board Senior
My education is very sketchy in the area of American history. Any recommendations for books on American History?

Thanks for your input.

http://www.heritagebooks.org/bookstore/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4238

Start here. It could double as a book on the Christian worldview. Two for the price of one is always good.;)

CT

Gregg Singer is awesome. He has some good lectures on sermonaudio as well. This is one of my favorite american history books. His take on the Puritans and the Civil War was sloppy (e.g., he thought Jonathan Edwards was an arminian and he thought that two confederate generals with the same last name was only one person!). But his take on the modern period is quite good.

I'm a picky reader when it comes to history so I'm afraid I can't recommend any comprehensive books on American history.

However, I can suggest a few books (many more could be mentioned) focused on specific people, times and places in American history which are worth reading:

William Bradford, Of Plimoth Plantation

John Brown, The Pilgrim Fathers of New-England and their Puritan Successors

Cotton Mather, Magnalia Christi Americana: Or, The Ecclesiastical History of New-England

Edward Johnson, Wonder-Working Providence

Dennis Woods, Discipling the Nations

Gary North, Political Polytheism

John Remsberg, Six Historic Americans -- Were They Christian?

Norman Cousins, In God We Trust, The Religious Beliefs and Ideas of the American Founding Fathers

Alexander Stephens, A Constitutional View of the Late War Between the States: Its Causes, Character, Conduct and Results (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2)

Robert L. Dabney, Life and campaigns of Lieut.-Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, (Stonewall Jackson)

J. William Jones, Life and Letters of General Robert Edward Lee

Samuel Miller, Life of Jonathan Edwards

Francis Bremer, John Winthrop: America's Forgotten Founding Father

Arnold Dallimore, The Life of George Whitefield

Alexander Whyte, Thomas Shepard: Pilgrim Father and Founder of Harvard

J.M. Barkley, Makemie of Ramelton - Father of American Presbyterianism

Douglas Kelly, The Emergence of Liberty in the Modern World: The Influence of Calvin on Five Governments from the 16th Through 18th Centuries

Philippe Duplessis-Mornay, A Defense of Liberty Against Tyrants ("John Adams held this book to be one of the most influential books in America on the eve of the Revolution.")

Charles Baird, Huguenot Emmigration to America

Lucian Fosdick, The French Blood in America

Charles Bennett, Laudonniere & Fort Caroline: History and Documents (the story of the first Protestant [Huguenot] colony in America)

Richard Webster, A History of the Presbyterian Church in America

Charles Hodge, The Constitutional History of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.

Nathaniel McFetridge and Loraine Boettner both have chapters on Calvinism in American history in their works on Calvinism in History found here.

The American Colonist's Library

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the great leads. I should have my hands full of good reading for some time now. I did note the Singer messages and I am so grateful these men share their work with a broader audience. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back