Amillennial arguments against postmillennialism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confessor

Puritan Board Senior
After reading a book on millennialism and another specifically on postmillennialism, I have become convinced of postmil. But I want to make sure that I am not holding this view in ignorance of some stronger arguments for other positions. And right now, I would prefer to focus on amil.

So, please answer the question that entitles this post. :D

the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming. Most naturally, this is the second coming of Jesus, if so, the antichrist will be destroyed at the second coming. So there will be no millennium as the antichrists will reign till the end of the human history. Some may say the Pope will be gradually destroyed until the final destruction at Christ's coming. The whole process of him being destroyed is the advancing of the kingdom on earth.

Other reason would be that the church must always suffer at this world, as Calvin would argue this way to the best of my knowledge. So either there is no millennium at all, or the millennium is just a representation of the church on earth as Calvin said somewhere in his commentary.

Hey, Ben, please look at Millennial Dreams, a blog that my cousin "Earl" and I started at the beginning of the year; we were joined by Bill, an elder in my church. There are many resources there.

My current search question includes which view adds to Scripture. :think: I go back and forth between Amil and Post. Currently I am leaning to Post. Let me know by PM if you wish to author on that blog.

For a little lightness on the subject see "Millennial Dreaming" lyrics on my PB blog.

Cordially,

For what it's worth, Mr. G.I. Williamson describe his understand of this as either:

1) a non-utopian postmillennialist

or

2) optimistic amillenialist

Confessor it would be helpful to aid you with this question if you provide us with the reasons as to why you are persuaded to postmill over amill. I also recommend Riddlebergers blog as posted by Chippy.

Confessor it would be helpful to aid you with this question if you provide us with the reasons as to why you are persuaded to postmill over amill. I also recommend Riddlebergers blog as posted by Chippy.

Yes, this would be a good idea.

(1) First, I believe that the millennium and the Church age are identical. Therefore I would say there is no disagreement over the interpretation of Rev. 20:1-6 between an amillennarian and a postmillennarian.
(2) I believe that a simultaneous resurrection of believers and unbelievers is taught in Scripture, and that this occurs at Christ's second coming, thereby precluding premil.
(3) I believe that Scripture contains many prophecies of earthly prosperity for the church that simply cannot be spiritualized; moreover, these must be referring to something prior to the new heavens and new earth -- e.g. Isaiah 65:20. Admittedly, I am not too knowledgeable on many specific prophecies like this and have accepted postmillennial authors at their word that many prophecies cannot be spiritualized.

I think I was ultimately persuaded when Bahnsen said in his Victory in Jesus book that postmil contains the good of premil (that there will be earthly prosperity) and the good of amil (that there will be only one resurrection and that Satan is presently bound) while rejecting the bad of each.

I just got Dr. Ken Gentry's third edition of He Shall Have Dominion and am including it on my summer reading.

Earl and Bill go back and forth on Amil and Postmil on the blog I mentioned

Millennial Dreams.

We do know Christ is coming! How exciting!

Last edited:
the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming. Most naturally, this is the second coming of Jesus, if so, the antichrist will be destroyed at the second coming. So there will be no millennium as the antichrists will reign till the end of the human history. Some may say the Pope will be gradually destroyed until the final destruction at Christ's coming. The whole process of him being destroyed is the advancing of the kingdom on earth.

Other reason would be that the church must always suffer at this world, as Calvin would argue this way to the best of my knowledge. So either there is no millennium at all, or the millennium is just a representation of the church on earth as Calvin said somewhere in his commentary.

David Brown (postmil) in his "Christ's Second Advent: Will it be premillennial?" said that this was a valid objection, but came to the conclusion that in the light of other texts that this wasn't Christ's visible glorious return at the end of the world, but His coming in providence and by the gospel to destroy the Papacy.

I'll find the quote.

Zechariah 14 gave me pause for thought - as a postmil - as well. E.g. About Jesus feet on the Mount of Olives. This is a very apocalyptic passage. But clearly the consequent verses deal with an imperfect preconsummation world. T.V. Moore's and Gary de Mar's comments helped here:-

http://www.preteristsite.com/docs/demarzechthree.html

Postmils don't believe that life will be perfect during the "Golden Age". Christians will still die and have illnesses - although they may live longer and keep better due to advances in medicine. There will still be suffering of various kinds.

Non-Christians, war and persecution will be at a minimum. The Church will have flowered into maturity, unlike the present adolescent state she is in. Under amillenialism evil and good flower together and good, i.e. the Holy Spirit, isn't powerful enough to overcome the evil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back