Status
Not open for further replies.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Sophomore
Howdy folks,

If given the choice, I would invest in Accordance. It's my preference, but I haven't been able to use it for some time now. I'm not really looking for a discussion about Logos or Accordance, per se. I'm currently using a Chromebook for most of my seminary work. As far as I understand it, Accordance and Logos are not supported on Chromebooks.

I'm looking for a free or cheap alternative that would replace Accordance or Logos. So, maybe something that is web accessed? I have no problem whatsoever using older resources. I do most of my study using the TR and the KJV, so older is actually more suited to my preferences. So far, Bible Hub has been too cluttered to operate smoothly. It seems to run slowly on my computer. I typically use Blue Letter Bible, but I don't find it to be user friendly either (loading new screens in order to use different features).

Does anyone know of an alternative to these? Maybe one that can be customized and expanded if need be (adding resources and the like)? Does anyone know about Study Light and Bible Study Tools? They both seem to have a pay feature, which would actually make using them worth it. Otherwise the ads bog them down. How do they stack up against others?

I believe Logos has a subscription product that works in a web browser, which would work with a Chromebook. You might want to check that out.

Yes, Logos has a web browser feature now. I don't know how smooth it is for every day use but it is available. Logos seems to be taking over the industry and I don't know how long the others will be around so I went that route.

I believe Logos has a subscription product that works in a web browser, which would work with a Chromebook. You might want to check that out.

Yes, Logos has a web browser feature now. I don't know how smooth it is for every day use but it is available. Logos seems to be taking over the industry and I don't know how long the others will be around so I went that route.
Ok, I checked in with them via online chat, and they said Chromebooks are not supported. That said, it will work through the web app like y'all are saying here. However, It seems to be an abbreviated version.

You can try Stepbible.org. It is web-based, it has the usual commentaries (Calvin, Henry, K&D, etc.) It has a tagged Hebrew and Greek feature as well.

Another one is relight.app. It is a web.app that is Reformed. It is tagged as well for both Hebrew and Greek. It also has Calvin's Institutes and commentaries, Matthew Henry's commentary on the Shorter Catehism, Robert Shaw's exposition of the WCF, Geneva Bible notes, Henry's commentary, etc.

Below is a screenshot of Romans 1
Screenshot_20220806-034035_Chrome.jpg

A web version of Logos is better than most other apps. You can get a free version and some academic perks too.

I have both Logos and Accordance with extensive libraries in each. I use both almost every day. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

But I confess that I still haven’t gotten over the demise of Bibleworks. I was a relatively early adopter and I learned how to use it when I was in the “learning stage” and I’ve never been able to get Logos or Accordance to do what I could do with Bibleworks as easily and quickly as I could with the latter. Oh that Bibleworks could be resurrected.

I have both Logos and Accordance with extensive libraries in each. I use both almost every day. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

But I confess that I still haven’t gotten over the demise of Bibleworks. I was a relatively early adopter and I learned how to use it when I was in the “learning stage” and I’ve never been able to get Logos or Accordance to do what I could do with Bibleworks as easily and quickly as I could with the latter. Oh that Bibleworks could be resurrected.
This is what I've heard. At the seminary I go to, a few of the professors still use Bibleworks.

I still use my Bibleworks. It doesn't update but it works. BW brought about its own demise. I still can't believe they thought it was a good strategy to keep the circa 1994 UI and to charge for an "upgrade" that gave hi-res photos of various manuscripts. There are like 12 people in America clamoring for that.

actually, your phone may be more powerful than a chromebook. Android/iOS, either will have the Logos app.

I still use my Bibleworks. It doesn't update but it works. BW brought about its own demise. I still can't believe they thought it was a good strategy to keep the circa 1994 UI and to charge for an "upgrade" that gave hi-res photos of various manuscripts. There are like 12 people in America clamoring for that.
I agree. I don’t know what they were thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back