An Appeal to Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeri Tanner

Administrator
Staff member
I just came across an Appeal to Heaven flag with the green tree on the white background. I see that it's a phrase originating from John Locke and was apparently flown on flags during the Revolutionary war. Initially I took it at face value as representing a true appeal to the God of Heaven (thought it would be neat to have one and fly it on my little outrigger pole on my house), but now with its association with Locke, not so sure. What are your thoughts on the history and message of the phrase and connotations of using it (it"s a very large picture, ha). An Appeal to Heaven flag.jpeg

Wasn't the flag designed by the Ethan Allen who, when taking Fort Ticonderoga, was asked by the British by what authority he was seizing the fort, and replied, "In the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress"?
I think the use of the phrase is probably sincere. I wouldn't vouch for the complete theological orthodoxy of all who used it by any means, but I don't think it's wrong to hang it.

If you like it, fly it! Virtually no-one will make the Locke connection anyway, and you can mentally repurpose the phrase to your own satisfaction... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back