An argument against observing the Sabbath according to the sun's position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is. A denial of the importance of a topic is an opinion on the topic.

So then it is on topic. :lol:

Agreed. But to call a topic stupid does not add constructively to the topic. Why would one continue to post to a topic one thought was stupid and useless?

Did I just make a post and say "This topic is stupid." no. Sounds like your more offended by the criticism. I made my suggestion because I think the topic itself is off track, and offered a suggestion as to how Sabbath Observance could be better discussed.

Are you just trying to bully me off the thread? lol

The Sabbath is from 9:29 PM to 4:32 AM. This can be easily determined by the application of an ancient Jewish art known as "gematria".

The Sabbath is from 9:29 PM to 4:32 AM. This can be easily determined by the application of an ancient Jewish art known as "gematria".

Oh OK I thoght you were going to say Kabala, but sure Gematria, that makes sense

Was that daylight savings time or standard?

Before the captivity when they changed their calendar or after? :lol:

Oh OK I thoght you were going to say Kabala, but sure Gematria, that makes sense

Was that daylight savings time or standard?

Before the captivity when they changed their calendar or after? :lol:

It's God's time. He doesn't do that daylight confusing time nonsense.

And of course, it was before the captivity; the Babylonians didn't introduce anything but confusion. ;)

So, how about giving up on these stupid arguments and talking about how you honor the sabbath, how the Lord blesses you in that time, et.

Though I am one the one posting saying what time we keep it is a matter of conscience and not specifically prescribed, I do think you need to apologize to the people posting here who are not just arguing for the sake of arguing but are seriously seeking to know if there is a way to determine how best to obey the 4th commandment.

If they conclude there isn't then maybe they will be satisfied and drop the discussion. Would to GOd more people would discuss these matters and have concern for things spiritual and careful obedience.

We grow and learn this way and though posting on a bard is not as easy flowing as audible conversation it is helpful to learn from others and sharpen each others conscience. So this wrestling is usually good.

As for the keeping of the 4th command since it comes to many after they have been taught falsely it may take some study and struggle to come to grips with it.
I remember one man explaining it to a young man who said well then why are we bringing wood in from your wood pile on the sabbath if we aren't to work, the scriptures says one man was killed for picking up sticks. The man was not wise enough to say he was not out gathering the wood to bring home that day or to sell it,, but he had prepared and brought it home he was just moving the amount to be used from it storage place beside the house to to the fireplace so his kitchen or living room was not filled with a years supply of wood.
So he said to the young man. I don't know exactly and perfectly how I should sanctify the Lord's day. But this I know. I used to work on this day and do sporting events etc. and god has impressed on me that it is a day to worship Him and rest from my own work as a figure of heaven I will be going to with Him and so far as He has convicted of these things I do them.
One day maybe I won't bring wood in the house.
I just know I am to keep all 10 commandments and none of the moral law has been done away. I now love it and delight in a day with and for God. It is a keeping of it from my heart and not just clear rules of dos and don'ts. The young man became a believer of the Lord's day from then on. Similar to your experience of S JAckson

I did not assert to what morning and evening are tied, so there is no assertion on my part which I must prove. You asserted morning and evening were not tied to the position of the sun. I asked to what then are they tied. You asserted they are tied to the beginning and ending of a day's work. And I asked how one then reckons morning and evening on a day when work is not begun or ended.

And I think you are adding undue confusion to the discussion. I mean really, would it be hard for some one to use the time in which they typically start and finish work?

The bible prescribes no set time for morning and evening. It only references them to the beginning and finishing of work. I don't find this to be confusing.

Not to throw a grenade into the room, only to shut the door behind me, but astronauts have no sun-up/sun-down. Are Christian astronauts violating the Sabbath if they work when the sun is up on their part of Earth but not shining in their vehicle? Do we even know with certainty which day is the original "Sunday"? No, we do not. As a culture we pick a day and agree to call it "Sunday". If we are to worry that we have gone one minute past the sundown we should worry even more that we don't even share the same calendar with Christ when he was here on Earth. Just saying...

I would assume that if there were people living far away from Sinai (i.e., arctic) at that time, they would not have had the Ten Commandments anyway.

What?

What about today. Were they only to obey the 4th commandment back when it was given?

I agree that my comment was not clear enough. All I was saying is that since the law was first given to people in mid-latitudes there might not have been a problem is keeping a sundown to sundown observance, as I think was more probably the case in the OT time. I agree that the moral law is written on the hearts of men, but there was indeed a benefit to Israel that they had the Law given to them that they might obey Jehovah.

No, So God would not give instructions that could not be followed by all people for all time in all places.

Actually, isn't it true that there was a prescribed manner of tabernacle and temple worship in the old times? Anyone living outside those areas would not have been able to make those sacrifices with the Levitical priests, and so on - because they didn't have a tabernacle or temple!

But now, worship is no longer tied to a place. In the same way, I am thinking that perhaps the old sabbath observance was sundown to sundown (thus needing a mid-latitude geography as in the near East) whereas the current practice may be midnight-to-midnight in keeping with the universal extant of Christendom, so as to include arctic residents.

I would assume that if there were people living far away from Sinai (i.e., arctic) at that time, they would not have had the Ten Commandments anyway.

What?

What about today. Were they only to obey the 4th commandment back when it was given?

No, So God would not give instructions that could not be followed by all people for all time in all places.

Actually, isn't it true that there was a prescribed manner of tabernacle and temple worship in the old times? Anyone living outside those areas would not have been able to make those sacrifices with the Levitical priests, and so on - because they didn't have a tabernacle or temple!

But now, worship is no longer tied to a place. In the same way, I am thinking that perhaps the old sabbath observance was sundown to sundown (thus needing a mid-latitude geography as in the near East) whereas the current practice may be midnight-to-midnight in keeping with the universal extant of Christendom, so as to include arctic residents.

What you miss here is that temple worship was only for Israel in that time.

Whereas the moral law, including the 4th commandment was to be obeyed by all people forever. Thus the need for it to fit all people in all places, unlike the temporary shadow of ceremonial laws and sabbaths and feasts etc, which were to be done away with the nation at the resurrection of Christ.

I did not assert to what morning and evening are tied, so there is no assertion on my part which I must prove. You asserted morning and evening were not tied to the position of the sun. I asked to what then are they tied. You asserted they are tied to the beginning and ending of a day's work. And I asked how one then reckons morning and evening on a day when work is not begun or ended.

And I think you are adding undue confusion to the discussion. I mean really, would it be hard for some one to use the time in which they typically start and finish work?

The bible prescribes no set time for morning and evening. It only references them to the beginning and finishing of work. I don't find this to be confusing.

That's because the beginning and finishing of work were dictated by the amount of light available. Lacking modern electric lights, the people of that time worked from sunup to sundown, however long or short that may be.

What?

What you miss here is that temple worship was only for Israel in that time.

Whereas the moral law, including the 4th commandment was to be obeyed by all people forever. Thus the need for it to fit all people in all places, unlike the temporary shadow of ceremonial laws and sabbaths and feasts etc, which were to be done away with the nation at the resurrection of Christ.

I fully agree with both of these points. Thanks for making them.

If I hear you correctly, you are saying that it must have been possible in OT times to obey the fourth commandment because of its moral nature and its perpetuity that extends to past and future.

I have no problem with the discussion going here, but now we have to ask how this would have been possible if there were people living in the arctic in that time? Is it not generally agreed that OT sabbath observance was sundown to sundown? Whereas, my impression there is less of a consensus regarding NT practice.

Just out of curiosity, for those who would hold that the Sabbath did not change--

Were the duration and/or placement of the Sabbath(Sat. vs. Sun.) part of the moral law that was written on the hearts of all men(Romans 2), or the ceremonial law that was not given to all men(Psalms 147:19-20)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back