An article defending pictures of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have my gratitude as well. Will there be any attempt to publish this as a direct response to the article posted by TAR?

TAR is mostly a news compiler; to run it on its own, the piece is too long. Usually they cite a bit and then put a link to the full longer article. If one wanted to pursue this I would suggest publishing this to a blog and then making a request it be picked up for equal time.
You have my gratitude as well. Will there be any attempt to publish this as a direct response to the article posted by TAR?

I don't do self promotion very well. If one was inclined to contact TAR (or another outlet) on behalf of the essay, I would have no objection.

And, thank you Mr. Frey for your encouragement.

I don't do self promotion very well. If one was inclined to contact TAR (or another outlet) on behalf of the essay, I would have no objection.

And, thank you Mr. Frey for your encouragement.
I drafted a message, with your essay attached, to send to TAR. I will only send it with your express permission.

You have my permission, brother. Thank you. If you would like to send me a copy of the message you have drafted, I'll be privileged to look it over. However, I'm sure it's well done--only if you'd like me to look at it.

Rev. Ruddell, here is the message I sent to TAR.

Dear Editor,

On October 20, 2016 The Aquila Report posted an article by Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr. The link is provided below.

http://theaquilareport.com/does-god-forbid-images-of-Christ/

It is important that your readers understand that the view defended in the article, although widely held today, is the minority position in the historic "Reformed and Presbyterian family of churches". I submit this essay by Rev. Todd Ruddell, Pastor of Christ Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCGA) as a clear, historical, biblical, and confessional response.

https://ccrpcorg.s3.amazonaws.com/Articles/Pictorial Representations of Christ-final.pdf

Rev. Ruddell has given me permission to share this with you, however feel free to confirm if you consent to post it.

Thank you for your work,
Brett Frey

You should put in a good word Andrew. Submitting a pdf without a web base for the full long article I would have thought makes this a long shot.

Well, that's another thing, if you want it on TAR, one needs to submit a Word doc. It's easier for an internet publisher of any kind to edit the formatting when it is in that state. PDF's as most of you know are very difficult to format.

If they turn it down for the reason it's a pdf. Wait till it is posted then resubmit in Word format with the link.

Attached is a good starting point in Word format to work with. Will need some minor formatting, such fontfaces, and line, paragraph spacings.

Attachments

• Pictorial Representations of Christ-final.zip
    49 KB · Views: 2
TAR usually only posts an excerpt of a few paragraphs on their page, with a link at the bottom to the full article. I think they would need a link to the full thing hosted online (ideally in blog format) in order to share it.

I have converted this over to an article page:

http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/2017/01/pictorial-representations-of-Christ-a-brief-study/
Unless someone beats me to it, I will resubmit this later tonight.

I noticed the statement below on Gentry's postmill site in a useful but brief series defending the stance that, yes, the Westminster Assembly held to a literal six day creation and took that position in their documents (arguing against Lee Irons trashing of David Hall's research of nearly 20 years ago for the PCA study committee). It is very ironic given Gentry's treatment of the same assembly's clear stance on pictures of Christ when he imposed his own meaning on their words. Why not take an exception himself on that point rather than argue against their clear position which is just as well backed up historically, if not more so, than the assembly's view of creation? It sort of begs the question, so what? when one on the one hand insists on treating the standards as historical documents when one finds their stance agreeable (rather than living documents ala the liberals' view of the US constitution), and on the other hand ignores that approach when not finding it appealing.
The Framework Interpretation would earn more respect among its opposers were its proponents to admit that the language of the Confession means what it actually says and then simply declare an exception at that point.
https://postmillennialismtoday.com/2016/12/30/in-the-space-of-six-pages-1/#more-9057

Last edited:
I received a reply from TAR today.

Brett,

The Aquila Report is willing to run an article on the theme you sent me, and in so doing to present another view on the topic., however, we need it shorter and more pointed. It is fine to quote theologians, pastors and such, but readers tend to want to read a rational and reasonable argument for respective views, highlighting the main reasons which can include referring to others. In the paper you sent it quotes individuals but the length for reading it on a web site is to long. If we can get an abridged version of this article that will work better for us.

Dominic Aquila, Editor
The Aquila Report

If there is a scholar or writer who can take on the task of editing the essay (with Rev. Ruddell"s permission, of course), that would be helpful.

I received a reply from TAR today.

If there is a scholar or writer who can take on the task of editing the essay (with Rev. Ruddell"s permission, of course), that would be helpful.

Is that a reply from your submission via pdf/word? Or by link to the website? If not the website, perhaps asking them to just quote the first part and then link to the website.

Is that a reply from your submission via pdf/word? Or by link to the website? If not the website, perhaps asking them to just quote the first part and then link to the website.

It was a reply to my first submission with the PDF.

I'd email back and say here's a link to the article, is there a way you could post a short portion in response to Gentry, then could you link to the rest of the article?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back