An atheist I actually agree with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Puritan Board Senior
Well, sort of. Below is a interesting quote from atheist/physicist Steven Weinberg on the religious liberals of our day:

Religious liberals are in one sense even farther in spirit from scientists than are fundamentalists and other religious conservatives. At least the conservatives, like the scientists, tell you that they believe in what they believe because it is true, rather than because it makes them good or happy. Many religious liberals today seem to think that different people can believe in different mutually exclusive things without any of them being wrong, as long as their beliefs \"work for them.\" This one believes in reincarnation, that one in heaven and hell; a third believes in the extinction of the soul at death, but no one can be said to be wrong as long as everyone gets a satisfying spiritual rush from what they believe. To borrow a phrase from Susan Sontag, we are surrounded by \"piety without content.\"

Wolfgang Pauli was once asked whether he thought that a particularly ill-conceived physics paper was wrong. He replied that such a description would be too kind--the paper was not even wrong. I happen to think that the religious conservatives are wrong in what they believe, but at least they have not forgotten what it means really to believe something. The religious liberals seem to me to be not even wrong.

So here's the rub: Do you think an atheist pre-dating the 20th century ever pondered this sort of thing? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back