An Index of Acronyms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyH

Puritan Board Senior
In a thread on whether to read Bavinck, or Calvin's Institutes, a member used the acronym 'EFS'. He was asked for the definition but may not have seen the question, as there was no reply. I don't know what the acronym signifies either, and not infrequently come across other similar acronyms that baffle me.
Some are intuitive, as in a recent thread, CVT for Cornelius Van Till, or GHC for Gordon H Clark, but some of the more obscure theological, or even denominational terms, are not familiar to many here I suspect ...... or is it just me ?
Anyway, on other forums I'm a member of, dealing with such topics as shaving with straight razors, there are resources to define obscure acronyms, and terms for the neophtye. Any chance of putting such a feature together on PB ? Or, if it exists please point me to the link.

EFS = Eternal Functional Submission (of the Son). There are a few older threads discussing it here, especially with respect to Wayne Grudem.

Such an index doesn't exist to my knowledge, but I do think that it's good form to introduce a subject before abbreviating it, much as you would in a paper or book. I probably have been guilty of assuming everyone knows certain acronyms too. Many of us are used to the vocabulary of Reformed theological discussion but some who read and especially who only lurk are not.

Thanks very much for the informative reply. EFS is certainly not an intuitive acronym, and I'll need to research the subject to understand what it is. That said, if some enterprising member of the board could collect seemingly common theological, philosophical, and denominational acronyms commonly found on the PB, post a thread on them, and the admins make it a 'sticky', it would probably be a great resource for laymen such as myself. Because many of them are obscure (AFAIC) and are only 3 letters, in many cases, that is too few letters to do a search, four being the minimum, as far as I know.

Maybe we could crowd-source building one on a wiki. There are some basic HTML pages floating around with Reformed/theological acronyms, but they're pretty old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back