An 'un-holy' tract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. I'm not saying it's the only way that evangelism should be done, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. I'm just pointing out that God works however He pleases, and we shouldn't restrict Him to a specific method or procedure. Salvation itself and the conversion of a sinner is never normative and no method, whether using tracts or building relationships, should ever be considered normative, because it is a supernatural work of God that exhibits more power than the creation of an entire universe. And instead of trusting in tracts, or in a follow-up procedure, we need to be trusting in God who regenerates sinners and keeps His sheep.
Well, I would say that there is a normative method, and that is through the Church by the preaching of the Word and administration of the sacraments. God is by no means restricted to that in harvesting His people out of the world. He can use any means He decrees, He used a donkey to rebuke Balaam. But I've not run across any talking donkeys in my travels.

In our modern/post-modern/existential way of thinking these days, we tend to reject organization and hierarchy in favor of independency and a lone wolf mentality, but that is not the biblical model. We are an organic body, the Body of Christ, with Offices and callings whereby we serve the Lord in the Great Commission. That the Lord has used irregular or extraordinary means to save individuals does not always indicate that those particular means are to be pursued. I was first approached about Christ by drug-addled Jesus freaks. The fact that God used that to draw me to Himself does not infer that being a drug-addled Jesus freak is an acceptable way for a Christian to evangelize. So we need to be careful. 2Ti 2:20 Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable.

Now, personal evangelism and passing out tracts may be perfectly sound methods, but I think it behooves us to strive to be theologically sound in what we say and what the tracts say, and probably the tract thing is best done under the watchful authority of the undershepherds set over us, but the normative aim is to point the lost to the Lord through His Bride. And nowhere is every Christian commanded to use these means.

BTW, in Phillip's case, he was an ordained Officer of the Church, and therefore qualified to administer baptism. I sure hope no laity think to derive from that event that they should be baptising anyone, which brings us back around to the fact that the Church is the normal means whereby the lost are led to Christ. And why Deacons are to be ordained, not 'commissioned', but that's another thread.

Right. I'm not saying it's the only way that evangelism should be done, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. I'm just pointing out that God works however He pleases, and we shouldn't restrict Him to a specific method or procedure. Salvation itself and the conversion of a sinner is never normative and no method, whether using tracts or building relationships, should ever be considered normative, because it is a supernatural work of God that exhibits more power than the creation of an entire universe. And instead of trusting in tracts, or in a follow-up procedure, we need to be trusting in God who regenerates sinners and keeps His sheep.
Well, I would say that there is a normative method, and that is through the Church by the preaching of the Word and administration of the sacraments. God is by no means restricted to that in harvesting His people out of the world. He can use any means He decrees, He used a donkey to rebuke Balaam. But I've not run across any talking donkeys in my travels.

In our modern/post-modern/existential way of thinking these days, we tend to reject organization and hierarchy in favor of independency and a lone wolf mentality, but that is not the biblical model. We are an organic body, the Body of Christ, with Offices and callings whereby we serve the Lord in the Great Commission. That the Lord has used irregular or extraordinary means to save individuals does not always indicate that those particular means are to be pursued. I was first approached about Christ by drug-addled Jesus freaks. The fact that God used that to draw me to Himself does not infer that being a drug-addled Jesus freak is an acceptable way for a Christian to evangelize. So we need to be careful. 2Ti 2:20 Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable.

Now, personal evangelism and passing out tracts may be perfectly sound methods, but I think it behooves us to strive to be theologically sound in what we say and what the tracts say, and probably the tract thing is best done under the watchful authority of the undershepherds set over us, but the normative aim is to point the lost to the Lord through His Bride. And nowhere is every Christian commanded to use these means.

BTW, in Phillip's case, he was an ordained Officer of the Church, and therefore qualified to administer baptism. I sure hope no laity think to derive from that event that they should be baptising anyone, which brings us back around to the fact that the Church is the normal means whereby the lost are led to Christ. And why Deacons are to be ordained, not 'commissioned', but that's another thread.

:amen:

What about the Ethiopian eunuch? There was no follow-up nor any disciple-making...Phillip simply shared the gospel, baptized him, and went on his way (seemingly) never to see him again.
No-one has said that it should never be done this way. But this does not imply that it is the obligation of every Christian to do so. Nor is a single event proof of it being the normative method.

Good tracts are a much easier and safer way for laypersons to get involved with broad evangelism than say, loud street proclamation. This is one of their strengths. It doesn't take as much guts to hand one out, and the message can mostly be confined to what is in the tract, if the Christian is not entirely comfortable guiding a conversation on the matter. Tracts are a tool that laypeople can use, which do not require much training and preparation. I wouldn't want to put a guilt trip on the congregation by suggesting that they all need to go out on the street and hand out tracts. Neither would I want to put a damper on those young Christians who just can't contain themselves from going out and sharing the joy that Christ has put in their hearts.

But every Christian is required to be ready to give an answer when opportunities arise. That is where I see a mandate. I don't think that's confined to just close friends.

Today, I was passing out some tracts at the Arch. I was using various tracts (e.g. cards with Arch trivia and Million/Trillion Dollar Bill tracts).

The trillion dollar tract has a drawing of President Obama. Most people smile when I give them one and ask for more. Well, one guy took one, walked away and then came back. He handed me the tract and wanted to know what the message on the back had to do with Obama and a Trillion dollars. I told him it was an 'ice breaker.' He was quite irritated and told me it was 'un-holy.' What do you all think about using such 'ice breakers' that have the gospel message? I am just wondering if this man maybe just didn't like the President and that set him off. I don't know. I have other kinds of tracts with Rutherford B. Hayes on the front and various celebs and most people get a chuckle out of the 'bills.'

Here is a picture of the Obama bills: Presidential Million Dollar Bill | Living Waters

My :2cents:, on your question and the rest of the thread.

There are issues with this tract, and others have pointed them out well. But I applaud what you are doing.

The reply of the Arminian to the Calvinist critical of his methods--"I prefer my way of doing evangelism to your way of not doing it"-- comes to mind. It pains me that we are seen this way, and that our arguments sometimes lend support to this portrayal. I hope that you can find more suitable materials, but I also hope that you wll never be discouraged from sharing the hope that is within you to anyone who will listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back