Anabaptist doctrine of sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

timfost

Puritan Board Senior
Hi all,

I was reading Ursinus's commentary and came across this:

"That we may turn away from, and not be ensnared by the errors and corruptions of the Anabaptists and Libertines, who deny that they have any sin, in contradiction to the express declaration of the word of God, which affirms that, "If we say that we have no sin we deceive ourselves."

How consistent was Anabaptist theology with itself? What are the similarities/differences between Wesleyan perfectionism? Did this change over time in Anabaptist thinking?

Thanks!

I can't answer this question, but I do hope it gets some attention.

I will say that Anabaptists were hardly a uniform group. Even if one or two, or many, might have said they had no sin, I could not be sure that all would have held the same view.

Yeah, they weren't a uniform group. Some, like Muntzer, believed in polygamy. And then on the other hand you have the Amish. Still, there are overlapping tendencies, as many gravitated towards soul-sleep and a denial of Christ's human flesh.

It appears that at least the Schleitheim Confession does not deny sin.

http://www.anabaptists.org/history/the-schleitheim-confession.html

The ban shall be employed with all those who have given themselves to the Lord, to walk in His commandments, and with all those who are baptized into the one body of Christ and who are called brethren or sisters, and yet who slip sometimes and fall into error and sin, being inadvertently overtaken.

And when they sin they shall be disciplined before all in order that the others may fear.

Hi all,

I was reading Ursinus's commentary and came across this:

"That we may turn away from, and not be ensnared by the errors and corruptions of the Anabaptists and Libertines, who deny that they have any sin, in contradiction to the express declaration of the word of God, which affirms that, "If we say that we have no sin we deceive ourselves."

How consistent was Anabaptist theology with itself? What are the similarities/differences between Wesleyan perfectionism? Did this change over time in Anabaptist thinking?

Thanks!
It would appeaqr that many of them hold to a doctrine of saved by community service and belonging to the saved community then the real Gospel message.
https://carm.org/who-are-the-anabaptists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back