Anantapodoton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prufrock

Arbitrary Moderation
All right, grammar wizards: Without working too hard, can anyone summarize clearly and precisely how Anantapodoton differs from both:

1.) Anapodoton; and,

2.) Anacoluthon.

Rough sketch: is it appropriate to say that Anantapodoton is a subset of Anapodoton, which in turn is a subset of Anacoluthon?

Edit
I think: Anapodoton is a form of anacoluthon which is strictly limited a subordinate clause suggesting a main clause which either 1.) Does not occur; 2.) Is modified from the expected form; or 3.) Is interrupted by another thought. Anantapodoton, in turn, would be the form of anapodoton wherein the main clause suggested by the subordinate simply does not occur. Is this correct?

Thanks, Charlie. That site did comment on the "trailing off" nature of the Anantapodoton.

I can't find a more thorough explanation in any of my reference grammars, however.

Anantapodoton, in turn, would be the form of anapodoton wherein the main clause suggested by the subordinate simply does not occur. Is this correct?

Nothing technical, but I've come across it a few times in biblical commentaries, and it's generally used in connection with an expected apodosis. Not sure if that helps.

Thanks, Matthew. That's actually exactly where my question comes in: it seems that both anantapodoton and anapodoton (two separate figures) do this.

Thanks again, Matthew.

Conclusion: Anantapodoton is an anacoluthon in which the apodosis, though expected to be introduced on account of a preceding protasis, is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back