Announcement: Launched new website on Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Guys,

This has been a long time coming. I've been studying the covenants for 4 years as I've been putting together an in-depth course on covenant theology for local pastors here. I feel these materials can also bless others. I've created a site and now it's up and ready. Please have a look and offer any feedback. If you are blessed by it, please tell others too. Here it is: www.ruinandredemption.com

I like the name and look of your website and will plan to spend time there this week. What a great work, Jon.

Oh you!
Go jump in the deep end of a pool!
Well my friend, I do have scriptural support “Surely you also are one of them [a Baptist], for your speech betrays you.” Matt 26:73. You not only talked about "diving in", but then you told me to "jump in the deep end of a pool" :) Now if you are a true paedobaptist you would have told me "go sprinkle yourself" :) :)

If you want to punish me :) I said I am actually questioning my Reformed Baptist beliefs in another post to feel free to challange my argument https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/wcf-verses-1689-confession-on-covenant-theology.95269/

Well my friend, I do have scriptural support “Surely you also are one of them [a Baptist], for your speech betrays you.” Matt 26:73. You not only talked about "diving in", but then you told me to "jump in the deep end of a pool" :) Now if you are a true paedobaptist you would have told me "go sprinkle yourself" :) :)

If you want to punish me :) I said I am actually questioning my Reformed Baptist beliefs in another post to feel free to challange my argument https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/wcf-verses-1689-confession-on-covenant-theology.95269/
Sprinkle youself in the deep end of the baptismal!

I have downloaded the material and will be diving in from time to time. Thanks very much for this.

Guys,

This has been a long time coming. I've been studying the covenants for 4 years as I've been putting together an in-depth course on covenant theology for local pastors here. I feel these materials can also bless others. I've created a site and now it's up and ready. Please have a look and offer any feedback. If you are blessed by it, please tell others too. Here it is: www.ruinandredemption.com
Really good looking graphics. I'll pass it on in places where I can :)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've been studying the covenants for 4 years as I've been putting together an in-depth course on covenant theology for local pastors here. I feel these materials can also bless others. I've created a site and now it's up and ready. Please have a look and offer any feedback.
Jon, just had a skim through it and it looks great. You quote my favourite theologians - both Dutch and Puritan - so that is a bonus. I have decided to do a formal study for myself. I also like how you add additional material for further study.

I note there is nothing there on both the Davidic Covenant and the New Covenant so I assume this is still a work in progress?

A suggestion for your material on the new covenant. Given that reformed Baptists use the new covenant as an argument to defend a reformed Baptist covenant theology, it may be helpful to interact with key reformed Baptist writings on this. The best two I know of are "From Shadow to Substance: The Federal Theology of the English Particular Baptists" by Sam Renihan https://www.amazon.com/dp/1907600310/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZDVQAbX27KRB8 and "Recovering a Covenantal Heritage: Essays in Baptist Covenant Theology" by Richard Barcellos https://www.amazon.com/Recovering-C...r=1-1&keywords=recovering+covenantal+heritage. There is also A.W. Pink's "The Divine Covenants".

Finally, I saw a picture of you on the webpage on a bike transporting your covenant family in a carriage. In these days of pollution and global warming, were you making a suggestion for Christians to get back to a "covenant with nature"? :) :)

Stephen,

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I did try intentionally to more or less keep it simple and straightforward up top, but include a lot of quotes and further thoughts in the footnotes from the Puritans and others. This was both to show that none of these thoughts are new on the one hand, and also to give people some access to materials most wouldn't have readily accessible.

Yes, the course is still being written. I still need to write the lessons on the Covenant with David and the New Covenant. And there is also an initial introduction lesson that I've written but still need to edit; so Lord willing there will be 9 lessons when it's all said and done (unless the new covenant takes 2).

Good thoughts on the New Covenant. And FYI, I do interact a bit with Jeremiah 31 in particular in The Covenant with Sinai PART 2, on pages 11-12 ("Effect"), and also especially have a lengthy footnote on that passage on page 13.

Thanks again,

JB

Good thoughts on the New Covenant.
Just a follow up re my comments on Sam Renihan, he is widely regarded in reformed Baptist circles as one of their very best covenant theologians. So I think interacting with his book would be insightful. Here is a lecture he gave summarising his view of Baptist covenant theology. It will give you an idea of how he treats the new covenant.

I am sure you have Dr Pratt's article on the new covenant. This article helped me to see the fallacy of the Baptist view of the new covenant; it has been widely praised on the Puritanboard.

Attachments

• rb-cov-theo-renihans.pdf
    236.8 KB · Views: 4
Just a follow up re my comments on Sam Renihan, he is widely regarded in reformed Baptist circles as one of their very best covenant theologians. So I think interacting with his book would be insightful. Here is a lecture he gave summarising his view of Baptist covenant theology. It will give you an idea of how he treats the new covenant.

I am sure you have Dr Pratt's article on the new covenant. This article helped me to see the fallacy of the Baptist view of the new covenant; it has been widely praised on the Puritanboard.

Thanks Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back