Announcing "The Good Confession"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyhyde

Puritan Board Sophomore
Dear family and friends,

I am pleased to announce that my book, The Good Confession: An Exploration of the Christian Faith (Wipf & Stock, 2006) is now in-print and available from the publisher here. As well, it will soon be available via Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com.

This workbook was a labor of love over the past 6 years, as it was developed in the Oceanside URC membership course with the many men and women who have united themselves to us over that time.

To learn more about the book, please feel free to contact me and/or visit this page on my website.

Blessings,
Danny
----------
Rev. Daniel R. Hyde
Pastor, Oceanside United Reformed Church
----------

What Others Are Saying About The Good Confession

Reformed pastors are always looking for a good curriculum to use with new Christians and inquirers that is solidly Reformed, yet which does not major on the minors. The Good Confession is a well-balanced book that will help us instruct all those inquiring about our doctrine.
Dr. Kim Riddlebarger, Christ Reformed Church, Anaheim, CA

Rev. Hyde has done us a service by covering the standards of the Reformed churches and applying them to prospective church members. As church planters know, “membership” is a difficult one in our day as churches do not have it or people are accepted too quickly into it. This book remedies this situation.
Rev. Paul T. Murphy, Messiah’s Reformed Fellowship, Ground Zero, NYC

The Good Confession is a welcomed resource. I have found in my own experience that Reformed churches are not clear about what is required for members to believe. The Good Confession alleviates this problem by making the Gospel clear and communicating what Christ requires of his people in joining his church.
Rev. Tom Morrison, High Desert United Reformed Church, Apple Valley, CA

Dear family and friends,

I am pleased to announce that my book, The Good Confession: An Exploration of the Christian Faith (Wipf & Stock, 2006) is now in-print and available from the publisher here. As well, it will soon be available via Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com.

This workbook was a labor of love over the past 6 years, as it was developed in the Oceanside URC membership course with the many men and women who have united themselves to us over that time.

To learn more about the book, please feel free to contact me and/or visit this page on my website.

Blessings,
Danny
----------
Rev. Daniel R. Hyde
Pastor, Oceanside United Reformed Church
----------

What Others Are Saying About The Good Confession

Reformed pastors are always looking for a good curriculum to use with new Christians and inquirers that is solidly Reformed, yet which does not major on the minors. The Good Confession is a well-balanced book that will help us instruct all those inquiring about our doctrine.
Dr. Kim Riddlebarger, Christ Reformed Church, Anaheim, CA

Rev. Hyde has done us a service by covering the standards of the Reformed churches and applying them to prospective church members. As church planters know, “membership” is a difficult one in our day as churches do not have it or people are accepted too quickly into it. This book remedies this situation.
Rev. Paul T. Murphy, Messiah’s Reformed Fellowship, Ground Zero, NYC

The Good Confession is a welcomed resource. I have found in my own experience that Reformed churches are not clear about what is required for members to believe. The Good Confession alleviates this problem by making the Gospel clear and communicating what Christ requires of his people in joining his church.
Rev. Tom Morrison, High Desert United Reformed Church, Apple Valley, CA

It sounds like a good book, and I look forward to the time when I might be able to pick up a copy. I do find it interesting, though, that a dust-jacket comment was sought from a pastor of one of the Steve
Schlissel congregation's daughter churches. I would have thought
one might want to avoid such a connection, but that's just me...

Hello Todd,

I can see the "guilt by association" you perceive. I don't want to sound defensive, though, in my reply.

The book is a basic intro workbook to the Reformed Faith using the Three Forms of Unity. Rev. Murphy is a colleague in the church planting ministry as well as a friend. In his reading and in our subsequent conversations in person and via e-mail, he whole-heartedly liked the book and even uses it. When you read it, I hope, you'll see that the book presents clearly the doctrine of justification as found in the Three Forms, but that it also has a couple of excursi, in which I explain that the three-covenant theology of covenant of redemption, works, and grace, undergird this doctrine. He endorsed the book and this whole-heartedly.

Let me also say that Rev. Murphy is an ordained minister in the United Reformed Churches in North America, and his congregation is under the oversight of the West Sayville Reformed Church (URCNA) on Long Island. As much as I think Steve Schlissel is a false teacher (his Reformation Day lecture several years ago in which he said, "Love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul...that's the Gospel," sealed it for me), he desired to see a Reformed church planted in Lower Manhattan. Rev. Murphy, who grew up down the street from where he now ministers, answered the call as did Classis Eastern U.S. of the URCNA.

Rev. Murphy is a minister in good standing, his congregation is a URCNA congregation, and I've not heard anything against his doctrine or person that would cause me to believe he teached what Schlissel teaches.

That said, sure, I probably wouldn't do the same thing again given the current state of affairs. The quote was solicited a couple of years ago, in my defense.

Blessings.

Hello Todd,

I can see the "guilt by association" you perceive. I don't want to sound defensive, though, in my reply.

Just so you know.. I'm not saying you should feel guilty... and as you note below, maybe given the current climate you might have chosen otherwise. I should have worded things more carefully than to say "I find it interesting". Often that phrase is loaded with a back-handed accusation, and I never intended that. Please forgive my own lack of care in writing the comment.

Hi Todd,

Absolvo te.

Just so everyone is clear, if I were in any way into FV, NPP, Auburn Ave, Norman Shepherd's theology, Dr. Clark, my co-pastor, would have wiped me off the face of the map already!

D

Hi Todd,

Absolvo te.

Just so everyone is clear, if I were in any way into FV, NPP, Auburn Ave, Norman Shepherd's theology, Dr. Clark, my co-pastor, would have wiped me off the face of the map already!

D

And I don't think you'd have gotten an endorsement from Riddlebarger or Van Morrison, either!

Hi Todd,

Absolvo te.

D

"would have"? From what I remember of my Westminster days Dr. Clark was into pre-emptive strikes.

:p

Daniel,

Good to hear from you...and you are right!

Is the church you are serving the URCNA congregation that is vacant? If so, what are the chances of getting you into the URCNA?

Danny

Daniel,

Good to hear from you...and you are right!

Is the church you are serving the URCNA congregation that is vacant? If so, what are the chances of getting you into the URCNA?

Danny

Yes it is a URC congregation. Check your messages; you have a u2u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back