Annual Ash Wednesday Lent thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
Just to keep up an annual good tradition. :)

Below is a question for those who observe it, in any way shape or form.

As a former RC turned "rabid" Protestant I am a tad bitter to have my fellow Reformed brothers and sisters think this issue is one of adiaphora. If it be so (adiaphora) why then do those that practice such do so in front of those who believe it is sin to practice it?

I recently read Boston on Fasting, and was struck by a comment he made that to eat well the day before a fast is to cheat God and rob yourself of blessing.

Yesterday, the Roman Catholics I know tucked in to all manner of pancakes with various fruits and syrups. Today they are in Lent - and earnestly awaiting the disfiguring of the face.

My church observes Lent, although it's pretty understated. Observing it in church doesn't seem to offend anyone there.

My husband and I do not observe it with fasting, ashes and such. But we do take part in the services, we omit our 'alleluia's in family prayer, and we sing the somber hymns of the season, like: Smitten, stricken and afflicted, A lamb goes uncomplaining forth, From deepest woe I cry to thee, etc. We do love the hymns of the season, for sure.

Oh, I like the Carl Trueman article. It addreses the issue in several ways that even folks who don't already buy into Reformed distinctives can appreciate. Such resources can be quite helpful.

From Trueman's rebuttal:
Well, once the scripture principle is allowed as an arbiter of true catholicity, the best we can say about Lent is that it might be a harmless, if biblically unjustifiable, personal preference with some historical roots - which is a point I never denied.

How is worship unjustified by God, "harmless"?

How is our redemption, which is God bringing us from a life in which we not only failed but with enmity not worshipping and serving Him, how does this redemption by the work of the Spirit of Christ from that unsaved life to a saved life in which God has to teach us and work in us the honorable way to worship Him, what does that have to do with Lent?

Maybe I missed the point Trueman was making that would not be the first nor last time that I may not fully understand right off the bat a point somebody is making. Yet in general these questions stand to the overall point of salvation in which we are redeemed to worship and serve God according to His way.

Observing it in church doesn't seem to offend anyone there.

That might communicate the lack of abhorrence in sinning before God, rather than, another wrong-doing which is: good works of 'not offending' merit justifiable blessings from God.

Last edited:
If it be so (adiaphora) why then do those that practice such do so in front of those who believe it is sin to practice it?

Seems to bind the conscience correct?

Yes it can do such if allowed. My church has called us to worship tonight "if we so please". The point being is it pleasing to Our Lord? I know many believe this is an issue of adiaphora to why I humbly asked the OP question. I understand there is no answer to the OP question that can be offered with The Word of God and be consistant with His Word.

From Trueman's rebuttal:
Well, once the scripture principle is allowed as an arbiter of true catholicity, the best we can say about Lent is that it might be a harmless, if biblically unjustifiable, personal preference with some historical roots - which is a point I never denied.

How is worship unjustified by God, "harmless"?

How is our redemption, which is God bringing us from a life in which we not only failed but with enmity not worshipping and serving Him, how does this redemption by the work of the Spirit of Christ from that unsaved life to a saved life in which God has to teach us and work in us the honorable way to worship Him, what does that have to do with Lent?

Maybe I missed the point Trueman was making that would not be the first nor last time that I may not fully understand right off the bat a point somebody is making. Yet in general these questions stand to the overall point of salvation in which we are redeemed to worship and serve God according to His way.

The key part of the phrase is "...the best we can say..." This apparent equivocation from Trueman may just be his attempt to stay on point with his original article, which was to call out those ecclesistical communities that do not have such traditions in their histories.

Yes it can do such if allowed. My church has called us to worship tonight "if we so please". The point being is it pleasing to Our Lord? I know many believe this is an issue of adiaphora to why I humbly asked the OP question. I understand there is no answer to the OP question that can be offered with The Word of God and be consistant with His Word.

But see now, what church has authority to call its people to worship, and then at the same time negate it by saying if you so please?

Only the Lord has authority to call His people to worship Him. He does this on the Lord's Day. And so only in that can His undershepherds (elders) call His people to worship Him. This is the same principle as the issue of Ash Wednesday/Lent.

If it is not in Scripture (it is not), then elders have no authority to call its people to worship accordingly or to practice such. Elders calling is to preach/teach the word and shepherd His people as Jesus has (Word). To do other wise is to bind the conscience. But we all know the Lord alone is lord of the conscience.

Thanks for getting this thread going because I have found the tempest in the blogsphere confusing.

Is "catholicity" being used in this discussion as a kind of euphemism for ecumenism? I would think that a reformed, catholic approach to lent would be a recognition that Anglicans are within the scope of the historic, Christian church even if they are in error on this issue. Ecumenism would accept an inclusion of these errant practices within our churches. The latter seems to be what some are arguing.

Though I am a great lover of history, I don't think "historic practice" is enough to handle the basic problem of lent which is the idea that we can physically add to the sacrifice Christ has already made for us. The entire system of serving penance is flawed.

Nor do I think it is wise to conflate generalized fasting with lent. While we may humble ourselves by fasting for a particular time of prayer, it is not part of this over all system of penance which is to be rejected.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I am not aware (until now) that reformed brethren have anything to do with lent. I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong here so long as it is done voluntarily and away from the church calendar.

There is something wrong with it; it is participating in / borrow from superstitious and unbiblical practices. Doing so is scandalous.

"Only the Lord has authority to call His people to worship Him. He does this on the Lord's Day."

Do I understand you to mean that it is forbidden to have a called, public worship of God on any other day than Sunday?

How can elders 'call' the body to worship Him publicly if the Lord Himself has not done so? To call the sheep to come worship on a day that is not commanded by the Lord to worship Him publicly is to bind the conscience.

"How can elders 'call' the body to worship Him publicly if the Lord Himself has not done so? To call the sheep to come worship on a day that is not commanded by the Lord to worship Him publicly is to bind the conscience. "

That is exactly what I was asking; whether it is actually forbidden to have corporate worship on any day but Sunday. It seems you think it is.

I'd have to see some Scripture on that. I am well familiar with the Regulative Principle and don't need to be convinced on it. But I don't, on initial reflection, think I see a positive command to worship only on Sunday.

I do see a (tenuous! but there) change from Saturday to Sunday as being the "day of rest," but I don't see where that would preclude other days as being legitimately, by a duly constituted session, having a public worship of God on them.

I could see where it would not be right to charge a man for "forsaking" the worship if the Session called it on Wednesday all the time and he works Wednesdays. I could also see AVOIDING calling worship on Sundays as being a sin. But I am not sure it is wrong for a session to call a worship service, say, on a given Thursday. Perhaps an ordination service of a new man, or a service where many new members are baptized, or a service of Thanksgiving at the ending of a war, or etc.

But see now, what church has authority to call its people to worship, and then at the same time negate it by saying if you so please?

Only the Lord has authority to call His people to worship Him. He does this on the Lord's Day. And so only in that can His undershepherds (elders) call His people to worship Him. This is the same principle as the issue of Ash Wednesday/Lent.

If it is not in Scripture (it is not), then elders have no authority to call its people to worship accordingly or to practice such. Elders calling is to preach/teach the word and shepherd His people as Jesus has (Word). To do other wise is to bind the conscience. But we all know the Lord alone is lord of the conscience.

I hope you understand I am on your side of this issue. :)

I could see where it would not be right to charge a man for "forsaking" the worship if the Session called it on Wednesday all the time and he works Wednesdays. I could also see AVOIDING calling worship on Sundays as being a sin.

If corporate worship is called, how would it not be a sin to forsake attending? The Lord says, "Do not forsake the assembling together of yourselves..."

I'd have to see some Scripture on that. I am well familiar with the Regulative Principle and don't need to be convinced on it. But I don't, on initial reflection, think I see a positive command to worship only on Sunday.

Is there a positive command or command implied by good and necessary consequence to worship on Sunday? Of course there is for that is the day the early church gathered (on the first day of the week). But what you are saying (implied) is "I don't see a positive command either way to worship on another day other than Sunday, therefore since it is not forbidden therefore we can do it (If it is not forbidden it is permitted).

And that is the same argument used, I suppose, for those who permit and call for Ash Wednesday or Lent to be celebrated.

So, in this view, as long as there is no formal call to worship it is okay to gather weekly for a sermon, lecture, special event, etc.? Or not? But in either event this makes a formal worship service which is necessary on the Lord's day, absolutely unlawful on week days. I'm not sure any Reformer or Puritan was that rigorous. Then a communion season if a church had that format of observation of the Lord's supper over more than one day, would be unlawful because a call to worship would be of course made.

This season is a bigger issue than simply having an extra sermon on some day of the week.

Lent binds the conscience to a man-made - and arbitrary - ordinance, and when one observes Lent, it is arguably with the intention to fulfill some obligation, thinking that one is doing a service to God, when he has in fact not commanded it.

And this day 'Ash Wednesday' - what is the meaning of it? I am seriously surprised that evangelicals are embracing such Romish rituals as the 'imposition of ashes'. What is that supposed to impart?

This season is a bigger issue than simply having an extra sermon on some day of the week.

Lent binds the conscience to a man-made - and arbitrary - ordinance, and when one observes Lent, it is arguably with the intention to fulfill some obligation, thinking that one is doing a service to God, when he has in fact not commanded it.

And this day 'Ash Wednesday' - what is the meaning of it? I am seriously surprised that evangelicals are embracing such Romish rituals as the 'imposition of ashes'. What is that supposed to impart?

David Mills, former editor of First Things and RCC defender had this to say:

Remember That Thou Art Dust

Here's another interesting article from the same author:

https://stream.org/hey-buddy-Jesus-said-no-ashes/

And finally, here is one where he interacts with Trueman's article:

Evangelical Angst About Ash Wednesday - Aleteia

He is on the "other side" of this issue and seems to grasp the implications clearly.

Evangelical Angst About Ash Wednesday - Aleteia

He is on the "other side" of this issue and seems to grasp the implications clearly.

And coming from the other side, he actually does a good job - though it is to him a cause for celebration - of highlighting the pitfalls of ecumenism. If we are progressively reconciled to the 'gold' of Rome which is collected as it drops, we end up being only nominal Protestants. And this erases all the work done to restore biblical Christianity. The evangelical churches really need to find their feet again in sound exegesis and confessional Reformed theology, not in ecumenism. How sad that so few seem to recognise this today.

"That might communicate the lack of abhorrence in sinning before God, rather than, another wrong-doing which is: good works of 'not offending' merit justifiable blessings from God."

Not quite understanding what you mean here.

At any rate, the question was asked: "why then do those that practice such do so in front of those who believe it is sin to practice it?" This is what I was answering. No one in my particular church is offended by the practice.

And to focus on our Lord's dear sacrifice for us is worthy of thinking on anytime, in church or out. And no, I do not think God takes offense therein.

I do so love the lenten hymns! Listened to many today while about my work.

Only the Lord has authority to call His people to worship Him. He does this on the Lord's Day. And so only in that can His undershepherds (elders) call His people to worship Him.

The Westminster Standards seem to contemplate worship other than on the Lord's day.

Q. 151. What are those aggravations that make some sins more heinous than others?

4. From circumstances of time and place: if on the Lord’s day, or other times of divine worship....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back