Annual I'm Giving Up Popish/Man-Made Holy Days For Lent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I borrowed a concept from those who object to a weekly Sabbath on the grounds that they celebrate the Sabbath every day. I had given up Romish holidays for Lent a while back, you see, and when Lent was over, I reasoned, "Why can't I celebrate an eternal Lent from Romish holidays?" And so I am still celebrating that Lent.
In the immortal words of Lloyd Bridges, "I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue".

The way I feel if something needs to be given up I need to give it up all together and not wait until a man made day.

I'm actually surprised to find such common views here on lent. Lent has always bothered me and I know so many people that really enjoy it, stand up for it too. I have always felt strongly that it was a Romish remenant no matter how much they compared it to Jesus' 40 days in the wilderness, or to say it is just a good excuse to draw close to God and practice self sacrifice, you know a tool for discipline.

"Lent, of course, is a relic of Roman Catholicism. One can easily understand it in such an organization – it gives power to the priest, and so on – but there is, I repeat, no evidence whatsoever in favour of it in the New Testament, and it simply leads to this show of wisdom and human will power. It is people adding their works to the grace of God, and this is essentially Roman Catholic teaching. Well, my friends, let us get rid of this, let us not waste our time with it. We are to be led by the Spirit always."
-- Martin Lloyd-Jones quoted in the article...

Young, Restless, and Reformed Homeboys on Lenten Fasting | Mere Orthodoxy | Christianity, Politics, and Culture

I am a bit surprised at such hostility against Lent and labeling it as a remnant of Roman Catholicism. First of all, Christ's resurrection was always celebrated even by the early church and the Lent took its current shape a way before there was any Roman Catholic Church as we know it nowadays so it cannot be an RCC invention.
Secondly, Lent is a part of CHRISTIAN FREEDOM . Non observance of Lent is not sin and no one nowhere states that holy days in liturgical calendar are as important and obligatory as OT holidays, at least among Protestants. The Church in her wisdom (being THE pillar and ground of the truth-1 Tim 3.15) decided to preach on certain topics from the Scriptures on particular dates and hence established lectionary and commemoration of certain events in the life of the Lord or of His saints... And since we are anyway commanded/expected to fast the Church adopted certain days when more discipline and prayer is required. I find nothing wrong with that and through Lent, and other Christian holy days/seasons we get to read a lot of Scriptures as prescribed by lectionary that covers all the most important parts of Christ's earthly ministry more than I was ever able to hear from a pastor who loves to go through only St. John or Romans for the course of 2 or 3 years and expound from his favourite Bible passages all over again.
Only after I left Evangelical circles and joined liturgical church with Apostolic succession (both with apostolic teaching and ordained ministry all the way back to the apostles) I was able to appreciate the beauty, richness and diversity of Scriptures.

Again, it's a matter of liberty whether someone observes certain days and seasons and my observance of Lent (which profits a lot to my soul) should not hinder anyone from following the Lord as he/she thinks is appropriate.

Dear Josh,

God forbid I said we disrespect God's commandments or anything like that. Sunday or the Lord's day has been the principal day of worship in the Church.

On the other hand all of you Evangelicals or however you are called use Bible reading plans or your pastors love to pick their favourite verse of the Bible like John 3.16. Ephesians 2.8-10 etc and preach about them for months. We can argue that God nowhere commanded you to preach on that particular Sunday that particular verse...while at the same time you criticize the Church which predates both the apostate Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy for establishing the memory of the Lord's baptism, fasting, crucifixion, resurrection, ascension, whitsunday etc or commemoration of saints on particular days. Your pastors are often very happy to preach about Reformation martyrs or modern day missionaries and their zeal for God on a particular day.

Also, the Church is before the Bible and the feasts and fasts of the liturgical calendar predate the completion of the canon of the NT (end of 4th century). The Church was doing more than well even before we got the complete canon and the 66 books did not fall from heaven in a package (plus those deuterocanonicals which we Anglicans read but do not use to establish doctrine). There's no contradiction in celebrating the Lord's feasts and other holy days with teaching of the Scriptures as well as there's no contradiction between the early Church and the doctrines of grace that are cherished by the Reformed tradition.

All the best to you

Yes, you now are encouraged to take a selfie of it, post it on social media, and mark it with #AshTag.
:lol:
Not making that up, by the way.
:duh: It actually blows my mind what people do now...."hi all, walking down my stairs now, woohoo I have some mail in my letter box, here's a picture (selfie) of me opening it, heres me drinking coffee :coffee:, heres me drinking with my friend :cheers2:, here me reading a book :book2:," And for crying out loud, iv seen pictures of people actually taking their own picture in the mirror!!! Whats that all about??
Ashtag though :lol:

And for crying out loud, iv seen pictures of people actually taking their own picture in the mirror!!! Whats that all about??

I believe the purpose of a selfie is so that insecure people can post a picture of themselves on Facebook and then have their friends reassure them that they are attractive.

On behalf of all Australians "we're sorry". They say the earliest use of or the term "selfie" originated here. How embarrassing.
But as this "is" about lent.
A person I know gave it up but now does it again, he re-lented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back