Another Christmas Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the point in this thread. Obfuscation.

PC,

Actually my post was a direct response to Tom’s, which included this:

“Don't pull out the old candles. Don't let it intrude in the least on the Lord's Day, in song choices or preaching.

But that wouldn't really be "Christmas," would it?”​

The point that was being made by Tom is candles, song selection and preaching that references Christmas may not intrude a Sunday, December 25th worship service. My responses seems rather relevant: “Trappings aside (candles....), what would be the sin in preaching on the hypostatic union on Sunday, December 25th?”

I have to go take a pic. BRB
Speaking of pics (and hopefully a mood lightener), your recent profile pic change has me wondering if you are related to Radagast the Brown?
upload_2019-12-25_20-7-12.jpeg
5DA601BD-0E71-4273-A4E7-4E49981E2229.jpeg

Attachments

• 79E1F7AE-D405-4448-BED5-337F490B474A.png
    79E1F7AE-D405-4448-BED5-337F490B474A.png
    845.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The point that was being made by Tom is candles, song selection and preaching that references Christmas may not intrude a Sunday, December 25th worship service. My responses seems rather relevant: “Trappings aside (candles....), what would be the sin in preaching on the hypostatic union on Sunday, December 25th?”
Okay. But that isn't the topic here.

Last edited:
PC,

Actually my post was a direct response to Tom’s, which included this:

“Don't pull out the old candles. Don't let it intrude in the least on the Lord's Day, in song choices or preaching.

But that wouldn't really be "Christmas," would it?”​

I think you've missed the point.

I think you've missed the point.

I don’t see how I missed the point. You stated:

“Don't pull out the old candles. Don't let it intrude in the least on the Lord's Day, in song choices or preaching.​

But that wouldn't really be "Christmas," would it?”
The antecedent of “it” is obviously Christmas. So, your statement can be thusly stated:

“Don't pull out the old candles. Don't let [Christmas] intrude in the least on the Lord's Day, in song choices or preaching.​

So, again, trappings aside (like candles), what’s the sin of preaching on the hypostatic union on Sunday, December 25th, which has everything to do with a Reformed understanding of Christmas, the Word made flesh?

@RWD Obfuscation from the original post. Is a Christmas Worship service the same as a Wednesday night prayer service?

Last edited:
Sure. Christmas is neither appropriate or permissible. It is idolatrous, after all.
Our family celebrated Christmas yesterday (New Zealand time). I admit to becoming increasingly troubled by it though I like being with my family.

I held my baby nephew for the first time yesterday. You will be pleased to know my brother and his wife named him Tom :)

@RWD Obfuscation from the original post. Is a Christmas Worship service the same as a Wednesday night prayer service. My question mark is not working on my computer.

PC,

I find this rather partisan. All I’ve done is respond to a person who’s on your side of the issue. Yet I get the penalty flag while he gets the pass. Moreover, your now posting pictures that have nothing to do with the OP.

PC,

I find this rather partisan. All I’ve done is respond to a person who’s on your side of the issue. Yet I get the penalty flag while he gets the pass. Moreover, your now posting pictures that have nothing to do with the OP.
Is a Christmas Worship service the same as a Wednesday night prayer service? I apologise for being a bit tilted. I didn't issue you a Penalty flag though.

Last edited:
Is a Christmas Worship service the same as a Wednesday night prayer service.

Too simplistic to answer. If the Christmas service were on a Sunday, they’d be dramatically different. One would be taking place on the Christian sabbath. If it’s not on a Sunday, then they’d be similar in at least some respect but not in another respect. They’d be similar in that both could be considered optional. Not holy days. They’d be different with respect to emphasis, prayer as opposed to preaching.

Give me some time. I am having problems with my old laptop.

That is our problem.

If it’s prescribed by the Word, I’m obligated. That means anyone could righty say I was sinning for missing Sunday worship so I could spend time with a friend. There’s no ordinary liberty to miss. Mid week services are different. For instance, there’s liberty to earn a living on Wednesday night. Nobody could know whether I was sinning for working instead of going; yet God would know.

If it’s prescribed by the Word, I’m obligated. That means anyone could righty say I was sinning for missing Sunday worship so I could spend time with a friend. There’s no ordinary liberty to miss. Mid week services are different. For instance, there’s liberty to earn a living on Wednesday night. Nobody could know whether I was sinning for working instead of going; yet God would know.
This is where the Normative applies. I can't make a question mark right now.

It’s a bit taxing to try to interact with fragmented thoughts. I’d prefer to engage actual arguments.
So would I. You haven't done that since I brought up Aaron and his sons or the real reason for this thread. Just my humble opinion. You haven't addressed any of the Idolatry issues or who should and does prescribe to what, when, or where. You seem to have portrayed more of a Normative Principle of Worship in my estimation. I could be incorrect. I have not accused anyone of that directly but you have seemed to accuse me of doing things that are counter to the bible and the standards I hold to. Am I incorrect here?

Last edited:
So would I. You haven't done that since I brought up Aaron and his sons or the real reason for this thread. Just my humble opinion. You haven't addressed any of the Idolatry issues or who should and does prescribe what, when, or where. You seem to have portrayed more of a Normative Principle of Worship in my estimation. I could be incorrect I have not accused of that directly but you have seemed to accuse me of doing things that are counter to the bible and the standards I hold to. Am I incorrect here

Accusing you? Brother, I’ve only argued and offered internal critiques of the opposing view. I’m out. This is getting way too weird.

Tim,

One problem is, this principle is being misapplied: “I say it is sin if it is not Prescribed by God.”

The word “it” needs to be understood. God reveals to us how he is to be worshipped. He also reveals to us that (a) we must gather on the first day of the week with all his people and (b) we may freely worship him with other Christians on any other days. To deny (b) leads to many problems, like innocent retreats, campfires etc. One cannot deny (b) without being arbitrary and inconsistent.

What some are being accused of is turning the practice of (b) into a must or holy day. That’s called a straw man, which are usually easy to erect and even easier to knock down. The accusation loses its teeth when we appreciate that Reformed folk aren’t required to gather or regarding the day as holy.
RWD. What? You are accusing me of missapplying the RPW here before you quote my statement, “I say it is sin if it is not Prescribed by God.”.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to see this discussion break down. If that is the case, I may make another thread, with a different focus than this one. I really want to dig into the definition of a holy day, and things like that.

I have a last thought. I don't care if I win an argument here. It is a shame that two days a year are given so much focus when God told us to give one in seven.

Last edited:
I don’t see how I missed the point. You stated:

“Don't pull out the old candles. Don't let it intrude in the least on the Lord's Day, in song choices or preaching.​

The antecedent of “it” is obviously Christmas. So, your statement can be thusly stated:

“Don't pull out the old candles. Don't let [Christmas] intrude in the least on the Lord's Day, in song choices or preaching.​

So, again, trappings aside (like candles), what’s the sin of preaching on the hypostatic union on Sunday, December 25th, which has everything to do with a Reformed understanding of Christmas, the Word made flesh?
Preaching on the hypostatic union is not sin. I didn't say it was. I didn't even come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back