Another Practical Catechism Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

I am trying to figure out a good order for Baptist catechisms to use for my children. Those of you who use the Westminster catechisms have the shorter and larger, but we Baptists (to my knowledge) don’t have two catechisms that were created to be paired together.

These are the ones I’m looking at right now:

First Catechism by Great Commission Publications (will make changes where needed)

The Baptist Catechsim that is paired with my copy of the 1689 Confession

An Orthodox Catechism by Hercules Collins

A Puritan Catechsism by Charles Spurgeon

The New City Catechism (meh)

I want my children to eventually memorize the First Catechism, and then whatever else I choose. But it’s not as simple as going to the WSC and WLC.

Any advice for which catechisms to use, and in which order?

Bonus question: At what age or time do you introduce the next level of catechism to your child?

I am not sure what age your childen are but some of my Reformed Baptist friends have used a childrens Baptist catechism with great spiritual profit.

Otherwise I would suggest in this order:
  • A Puritan Catechism by Charles Spurgeon (Spurgeon has to be good!)
  • An Orthodox Catechism by Hercules Collins
  • Westminster Larger Catechism (no Baptist equivalent to the best of my knowledge but I love the WLC. Vos commentary is very helpful and devotional).

The New City Catechism is under-appreciated among people for whom catechisms are an old tradition, but you should consider it. It does a good job of combining some of the best parts of the Westminster and the Heidelberg, while avoiding areas of disagreement between Baptists and Presbyterians. And it has flexibility features that make it ideal for families who want to learn together.

It is rather short to begin with and can be shortened even further for young children, so that kids can learn partial answers while their parents or older siblings learn the complete version. It's also designed for a tech-savvy generation that might like to have its catechism turned into a challenging phone app.

My family did the Heidelberg because I'm familiar with it from my own childhood, and because I thought my wife and kids would appreciate its warmth (there's a Baptist version of that, too, which is the one going by the name An Orthodox Catechism). But had the New City been available at the time, I might have opted for that because we could have started earlier, when our kids were younger.

Yours are still very young, if I remember correctly. They're probably at the Children's Catechism (First Catechism) stage for now. But New City is set up so you could begin that in just a few years.

Thanks for the quick responses gentlemen. I will check all of those out.

Jack, I’ve read your assessment of the New City Catechism before, and you made some good points.

Can you help me think through this one: I’m iffy on the NCC because I’m iffy on Tim Keller.

With regards to the format, app, and extras like music, the NCC has a lot going for it in terms of practical use. I have an audio version of the First Catechsim, and some of those questions are already stuck in my head from casual listening.

You’re making me reassess the NCC. If I lay down my antiquarian preferences, and compare these catechisms on a level playing field, the NCC looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back