Another Prophet thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

Puritan Board Freshman
I know, what is up with all of the "prophet threads, rigth. I am reading Grudem's work on the subject as some of you know. Wel, it makes for fun discussion here. Sometimes you ought to pick the oppisite side and play the devil's advocate. It is fun.
Anyway, here is tonight's prophet thought:

1 Cor. 14:29-33 (ESV)
Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. [30] If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. [31] For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, [32] and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. [33] For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

When the first prophet has to be silent and let teh second speak what happened to the prophecy of the first? Why would the HS give a revelation to anouther prophet so as to interrupt the revelation from the first. Was teh first revelation ever recovered. What are your thoughts on this passage.

Theoretically the Holy Spirit could (and it wouldn't be a bad idea) give all the revelations for that evening at the same time. Maybe it was like a burst of prophetic power that came through the room. I don't think it would be disorderly for the Spirit to do that... its just up to the prophets to speak in order.

Since all these gifts have ceased, why are you even talking about it? They were only meant to validate the Apostolic teaching. The canon is closed. The gifts have ceased. They are no more. This verse does not apply to the church today. So who cares?

WHAT????

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righ teousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 2 Tim. 3:16-17 (ESV)

Do you really think that that was all the gifts were for?!

Gifts were signs but they were something else as well. They were for edification of the body!

"On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation." 1 Cor. 14:3 (ESV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back