Another Road to Hell by J.C. Ryle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeard

Puritan Board Freshman
Satan has no objection to your being a respectable member of the Christian Church. He will allow you to sit comfortably in church every Sunday you live. He knows full well, that so long as you do not "strive" — that you must come at last to the worm that never dies, and the fire that is never quenched! Take heed that you do not come to this end. I repeat it, you have only to do nothing — and you will be eternally lost!

Think, think above all things, what a state this is to die in! Your life is but a vapor. A few more years at most — and you are gone! Your place in the world will soon be filled up; your house will be occupied by another.
The sun will go on shining;
the grass and daises will soon grow thick over your grave;
your body will be food for worms,
and your soul will be lost to all eternity!

Satan has no objection to your being a respectable member of the Christian Church. He will allow you to sit comfortably in church every Sunday you live. He knows full well, that so long as you do not "strive" — that you must come at last to the worm that never dies, and the fire that is never quenched! Take heed that you do not come to this end. I repeat it, you have only to do nothing — and you will be eternally lost!

Think, think above all things, what a state this is to die in! Your life is but a vapor. A few more years at most — and you are gone! Your place in the world will soon be filled up; your house will be occupied by another.
The sun will go on shining;
the grass and daises will soon grow thick over your grave;
your body will be food for worms,
and your soul will be lost to all eternity!
Hi, was does this mean exactly? What does it mean to strive....?

Striving means to put forth effort or struggle.

Here's a couple of Bible passages that talk about striving.

Luke 13:24 "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and will not be able"

Hebrews 4:11 " Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief"

So is this something we do to merit salvation? Or a sign of true living faith?

Striving means to put forth effort or struggle.

Here's a couple of Bible passages that talk about striving.

Luke 13:24 "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and will not be able"

Hebrews 4:11 " Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief"

Last edited:
So is this something we do to merit salvation? Or a sign of true living faith?

Its defintely a sign of true living faith. We also need to be careful of measuring it by how much we do for the Lord. Im encouraged by the widow who only gave a mite and our Lord commended her faith because she gave what she could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back