Another Sabbath Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedFundy

Puritan Board Freshman
I was listening to a Christian radio program the other day, one of my personal favorites, and an interesting question on the Sabbath came up as the topic. The gist of what the radio host said was "in our society today, many, many employers require employees to work on Sundays, at least one or two out of the month(think Wal-Mart, Target, McDonald's, etc)." He went on further to say "it is not right for Christians to demand that they get preferential treatment in getting their Sundays off, and they should submit to their employers and be a better witness by working one or two Sundays a month."

I have been denied positions at jobs over the years, because I adamantly refuse to work Sundays on religious grounds. I don't work jobs where it would be necessary to work on Sunday(think EMT personnel, hospitals, police, fire, etc), all the jobs that I work are retail/hospitality. While I thought for a long time about what the radio host said, I came to the conclusion that the logic was overly-simplistic, and kind of man-centric. But I've heard it spouted by others since then, and before then, and I can never quite figure out how to respond to such persons who think this way. How would you address this matter?

The Westminster Confession of Faith for Study Classes
GI Williamson (1st edition)

p. 173
(explaining Chapter XXI, VIII.)
[paragraph format added]

For example, what should a Christian do if his employer requires him to work on the Lord's Day?

Some would say, "I will have to work, or else I will be demoted to a much lower salary. But such a reason does not make a work a work of necessity.

It only makes it a work of convenience.

If a physician says, "I must operate on this man today or he will die," he speaks of a work of necessity.

But if a carpenter says, "I must report on the construction job or I will endanger my job," he speaks only of his own convenience. The work itself is not necessary. One could just as well argue that it is legitimate to steal (I must steal because my family needs the money.) as to argue that a work is necessary on the Sabbath merely because personal inconvenience and hardship is involved.

The Christian life is about being willing to suffer and deny oneself so that God might be pleased and glorify Himself through your life.

Graciously, our Lord promises reward and blessing for obedience, even when the cost seems high.

He promises to provide, somehow, some way.
(I think even the short summary in your post question shows that in your own life):)

I think the particular radio host has prejudiced the issue by saying "preferential" treatment. Many people request certain days off during the week, and many people want a certain day of the week perpetually. So, it is not preferential treatment. Also, I don't think that misplaced ideas of "preferential treatment" trumps God's law.

Will,

The subject is a bit of a sticky wicket. In my humble opinion you should do everything within your power to not work on the Lord's Day. It's really as simple as that. Are there times when it may not be in your power? Yes. What happens if your job changes hours and requires to to work on the Lord's Day and issues you an ultimatum: work or get fired? If you have no other realistic means to put food on the table, you may have to acquiesce for a time, or at least until you find another job.

But should Christians avoid certain careers because they may be required to work on the Lord's Day? Fields such as healthcare, utilities, public safety, the military et al? I think Christians should work in these fields. In fact, I believe they should actively pursue them. Christians should be present and active in all levels of our society and economy. It would be best if they could perform in those jobs without working on the Lord's Day, but it may not be possible in all situations.

You stated that you wouldn't take a job that required work on Sundays (e.g. EMT, Fireman, Police, et al). But there are many Christians in these fields of work (and thank God they do). And they must work on Sundays. This in my mind falls clearly in the realm of "works of necessity or mercy."

Each situation is different and Christians must discern what is most consistent with Scripture's teaching. It isn't always black-and-white. Unfortunately, we do not live in a Christian society. Therefore, our faithfulness in these matters takes more deliberate thoughtfulness rather than these questions being answered for us.

In my humble opinion: In this age there are plenty of employees willing to work on Sundays,
it is simple lazyness on the part of schedulers who don't want to have to work out the request. Shame on them!

i know many christians who work and participate in sport events on Sunday.
i don't come down on them, but i know that i would have a hard time doing that.

We really have to be clear to employers that we have needs we want them to meet but we don't expect preferential treatment. In fact, we will accept other undesirable assignments if they grant this one thing. We don't expect them to sacrifice for our sake. We will sacrifice to make our Sundays off work for them.

This may mean volunteering to work every Saturday. Every holiday. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, etc. We promise to work these shifts thankfully, without complaining. This won't work for every employer, but early in my TV news career it worked for me.

Later on when I became the guy making out the schedule, I saw how tough it was to accommodate everyone's wishes. But those who went out of their way to help me grant their requests while still being fair to others usually got what they wanted. Interestingly, it was a newly-hired Jew who asked for Saturdays off. When other workers saw how willingly and cheerfully he worked other undesirable shifts, no one minded at all.

Yes, when Christianity entered the world, many slaves and others would have had ungodly demands placed on them, making a full devotion to the Lord very difficult on the Lord's Day.

We should differentiate between the proper demands and expectations of God upon Christians in all circumstances, and his call for reformation when those circumstances are less than ideal. It took a long time, but the Christian's ownership of his "day of rest" eventually was won.

And now, in another age hostile to Christ and his rule (and widespread Christian neglect and contempt for the ordinance of God, in preference to their own pleasure), we see the loss of our liberty to worship God, and serve him as we would or should. In other words, we are made to suffer somewhat for cultural sins--think of Daniel and his godly friends.

Do not think that God will forget the desires of the godly, or provide in many ways for the consciences (and wallets) of those who seek him and his kingdom first. If we are abused, we may have to submit for a while, until we can find another employer, or until our patience and grace under pressure overcome the evil, Rom.12:21.

But the vital thing is to keep God's will before us, and work, pray, and hope for that which is right and true. And it is no help when Christians simply abandon a commitment to the unambiguous law of God when such will is opposed. Think of it: what of mandatory abortions? Do we simply cave on that point, and say, "well, we aren't under law anymore, but grace, so I guess we should just accept that as morally culturally relative"?

Theft? The State counterfeits, expropriates unlawfully, and basically commits highway robbery every day--so we should just accept wealth-redistribution and the imposition of poverty as culturally neutral?

No, but we should oppose all ungodly, unlawful and immoral behavior in all cases; but not by rebellion or resistance. But by suffering and prayer, and never compromising the moral truth. And can we doubt that Christ will grant success to such witness and endeavor? Though it take long (by our reckoning)?

Yes, when Christianity entered the world, many slaves and others would have had ungodly demands placed on them, making a full devotion to the Lord very difficult on the Lord's Day.

We should differentiate between the proper demands and expectations of God upon Christians in all circumstances, and his call for reformation when those circumstances are less than ideal. It took a long time, but the Christian's ownership of his "day of rest" eventually was won.

And now, in another age hostile to Christ and his rule (and widespread Christian neglect and contempt for the ordinance of God, in preference to their own pleasure), we see the loss of our liberty to worship God, and serve him as we would or should. In other words, we are made to suffer somewhat for cultural sins--think of Daniel and his godly friends.

Do not think that God will forget the desires of the godly, or provide in many ways for the consciences (and wallets) of those who seek him and his kingdom first. If we are abused, we may have to submit for a while, until we can find another employer, or until our patience and grace under pressure overcome the evil, Rom.12:21.

But the vital thing is to keep God's will before us, and work, pray, and hope for that which is right and true. And it is no help when Christians simply abandon a commitment to the unambiguous law of God when such will is opposed. Think of it: what of mandatory abortions? Do we simply cave on that point, and say, "well, we aren't under law anymore, but grace, so I guess we should just accept that as morally culturally relative"?

Theft? The State counterfeits, expropriates unlawfully, and basically commits highway robbery every day--so we should just accept wealth-redistribution and the imposition of poverty as culturally neutral?

No, but we should oppose all ungodly, unlawful and immoral behavior in all cases; but not by rebellion or resistance. But by suffering and prayer, and never compromising the moral truth. And can we doubt that Christ will grant success to such witness and endeavor? Though it take long (by our reckoning)?

My thoughts are similar to alot of the other previous post above. To work on the Lord's Day simply for economic gain is something I could no longer do. (I used to work alot simply for the time and a half pay before). Now it will have to be an emergency.

I have made my convictions on the matter clear to my employeer and he schedules other's that have no issue with it. (I work in the Heavy Highway/Civil Engineering business).

I have worked a Lord's Day recently when small disaster happened, A truck took out part of a overpass, It had to be safed up so no life would be possibly lost. A bridge beam was found to be cracked and needed emergency repair, Etc Etc.

My son also works as a Fireman/EMT, He works some Sundays depending on his schedule. People do not quit needing emergency services just because it is the Lord's Day.

You stated that you wouldn't take a job that required work on Sundays (e.g. EMT, Fireman, Police, et al). But there are many Christians in these fields of work (and thank God they do). And they must work on Sundays. This in my mind falls clearly in the realm of "works of necessity or mercy."

Each situation is different and Christians must discern what is most consistent with Scripture's teaching. It isn't always black-and-white. Unfortunately, we do not live in a Christian society. Therefore, our faithfulness in these matters takes more deliberate thoughtfulness rather than these questions being answered for us.

I apologize if I gave the impression that I thought it was wrong to take those kind of jobs. I will not take those jobs because A: I wouldn't do well as a nurse/emt(I don't like needles, etc), and B: Due to health conditions, I can't work as a fireman/police officer/Marine infantryman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back