Anthony Burgess: Do not let the Antinomians spoil the comfort of justifying grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... And from this particular, we may gather much comfort, for when we look into our selves and see no such righteousness or holiness, that we dare hold out to God, then we may remember, this is not by our doing to God, but receiving from him; and in this sense, it is more blessed for us to receive, then to give. This made the Father say, justitia nostra, est indulgentia tua, our righteousness is thy indulgence.

Therefore let not the troubled heart say, where is my perfect repenting? where is my perfect obedience? but rather ask, where is God’s forgiving? where is God’s not imputing? how hardly is the soul drawn off from resting in it self? it is not thy doing, but God’s doing; thou must not consider, what do I, but what God doth. The Antinomian, he indeed wringeth these breasts of Consolation, till blood cometh, but the true sweet milk of the word must not therefore be thrown away. ...

For more, see Anthony Burgess: Do not let the Antinomians spoil the comfort of justifying grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back