Antoine de la Roche Chandieu on the reverent approach to theological disputation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... For in disputations of Philosophy, Physic, civil government, and such other, there eloquence sheweth it self, there desire to excel doeth rule, there oratory pleading bursteth out: yea, oftentimes in such matters, men desire nothing but to shew forth the braveness of their wits, or else seek after glory and praise. But in divine disputations, where (as Augustine saith) Bravery must not be sought, but good documents and lessons, and that with great reverence: yea, and very reverently we must dispute of holy things, not as upon the stage before men, but as in the midst of the Church before the living God and his Angels: not for the desire of victory, but for the maintenance of the truth, in as much as Paul forbiddeth the Pastors of the Church, once to speak of vain questions, or contentions of words, which can scarce be done without the detriment of the truth.

Wherefore praying aid at the hands of almighty God, that he will direct and establish this our labour by his holy Spirit, let us proceed into this most holy conflict, in the which the word of GOD is the place of combat, God himself the chief Judge, truth the victory, salvation the garland of triumph. And hereby with more valiant minds we take upon us this most noble conflict, because it otherwise happeneth in this, then in other battles, for there he alone is crowned which vanquisheth, but the end of this battle is such, that even he which is vanquished (so that he acknowledge himself overcome and embrace the truth) shall likewise be crowned, together with the victor. And Augustine saith, that it is better to be overcome of the truth, then to be willing to overcome the truth with falsehood. For whatsoever men practise against the truth, yet this must they know, to wit, that verity cannot be vanquished: the which Augustine also calleth perpetual victory. ...

For more, see Antoine de la Roche Chandieu on the reverent approach to theological disputation.

A friend of mine wrote his doctoral dissertation on Chandieu:

I would love to read the monograph, but my finances will not allow for it. Alternatively, you may download the PhD thesis for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back