anxiety & the sovereignty of god?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! Can anyone recommend any books to me that touch on the subject how the providence and sovereignty of God should influence such feelings and emotions as anxiety, worry, fear and depression? Thanks!

FOR HIS GLORY-
Matthew

Last edited:
How very providential that you should ask! I was asking myself earlier for recommendations of works on the subject of the fear of God, and Alex pointed me to John Flavel's A Practical Treatise of Fear, which is found in his Works, volume 3, pp. 239-320.

Undoubtedly you would want to read the whole of it; it's not too long. But it is at Chapter VI that he gets down to "Prescribing the rule to cure our sinful fears, and prevent these sad and woeful effects of them."

Very much a work for our time.

Chap. VI.
We are now come to the most difficult part of the work, viz. the cure of the sinful and slavish fear of creatures in times of danger, which if it might, through the blessing of God be effected, we might live at heart's ease in the midst of all our enemies and troubles, and, like the sun in the heavens, keep on our steady course in the darkest and gloomiest day. But before I come to the particular rules, it will be necessary, for the prevention of mistakes, to lay down three useful cautions about this matter.

Caution 1. Understand that none but those that are in Christ are capable to improve the following rules to their advantage. The security of our souls is the greatest argument used by Christ to extinguish our fears of them that kill the body, Matt. 10:28. . . .

Caution 2. Expect not a perfect cure of your fears in this life; whilst there are enemies and dangers, there will be some fears working in the best hearts. . . .

Caution 3. Whosoever expects the benefit of the following prescriptions and rules, must not think the reading, or bare remembering of them will do the work, but he must work them into his heart by believing and fixed meditation, and live in the daily practice of them. . . .

Rule 1. The first rule to relieve us against our slavish fears, Is seriously to consider, and more thoroughly to study the covenant of grace, within the blessed clasp and bond whereof all believers are. . . .

Rule 2. Work upon your hearts the consideration of the many mischiefs and miseries men draw upon themselves and others, both in this world and that to come, by their own sinful fears. . . .

Rule 3. He that will overcome his fears of sufferings, must foresee and provide before-hand for them. The fear of caution is a good cure to the fear of distraction. . . .

Rule 4. If ever you will subdue your own slavish fears, commit yourselves, and all that is yours into the hands of God by faith. . . . We and all that is ours, is in God's hand, and no enemy can touch us, or ours, till He give them a permission; and therefore it is our duty and interest to please Him, and commit all to Him. . . .

Rule 5. If every you will get rid of your fears and distractions, get your affections mortified to the world, and to the inordinate and immoderate love of every enjoyment in the world. . . .

Rule 6. Eye the encouraging examples of those that have trod the path of sufferings before you, and strive to imitate such worthy patterns. . . .

Rule 7. If ever you will get above the power of your own fears in a suffering day make haste to clear your interest in Christ, and your pardon in His blood before that evil day come. . . . .

Rule 8. Let him that designs to free himself of distracting fears, be careful to maintain the purity of his conscience, and integrity of his ways, in the whole course of his conversation in this world. . . .

Rule 9. Carefully record the experiences of God's care over you, and faithfulness to you in all your past dangers and distresses, and apply them to the cure of your present fears and despondencies. . .

Rule 10. You can never free yourself from sinful fears, till you thoroughly believe and consider Christ's providential kingdom over all the creatures and affairs in this lower world. . . .

Rule 11. Subject your carnal reasonings to faith, and keep your thoughts more under the government of faith, if ever you expect a composed and quiet heart in distracting evil times. . . .

Rule 12. To conclude, exalt the fear of God in your hearts, and let it gain the ascendant over all your other fears.

There. That should generate sufficient interest to real the whole of Flavel's Treatise. I particularly appreciate his three opening cautions, and those should be pressed home in a teaching situation.

For a much shorter treatment, there's a little booklet by Jack Miller titled "When Crisis Hits", which is available from World Harvest Mission, and can probably be ordered on the web or in your bookstore.

For someone who is in the midst of a crisis or depression, they often can't bring themselves to read anything lengthy. A small packet of selected verses, no more than five or six, written out on 3 x 5 cards can be of more help at that time than giving them a book, or even a Bible, both of which are just too overwhelming right then. They can find the strength to sit there and stare at a verse and let its truth sink in. Plus, the fact that you took the time to carefully write out the chosen verses, that's an unspoken gesture of your love and thoughtfulness.

If I may, I recommend from personal experience that whenever I am going through a lot of anxiety, worry, fear etc I take my eye OFF of myself and my problems and put my eye on God and it is then that God takes care of everything for me in His time. I find that this is truly "trusting God." This is when I experience "footprints in the sand moments" where He carries me. I have found that when I struggle with my problem and attempt to overcome it and to "deal with my anxiety" or "overcome my anxiety" or read books on anxiety, it seems to exasperate the situation. I am trying to control the situation, rather then turning it over to God and leaning on God. When I leave it alone and pray and ask God to work His will through the situation and to grow me spiritually through it, He always takes care of me. Also, since my eye is no longer on my problem, the worry and anxiety are less. And since I'm so focused on enjoying God (reading, learning, etc), my anxiety and worry are also less.

I used to not really believe it was possible, but since He has carried me through a number of very difficult situations, I have learned to be content and find joy in trials (as Paul writes). I didn't really think this was possible before. But now I welcome trials and keep my eye on God and He grows me faster spiritually than anything (like being on warp speed). If I had no trial, I'd grow turtle speed. During the 6 month longest greatest biggest trial of my life, I think I grew more spiritually than in like 10 years or almost my whole life!

But do not forget - take your eye off yourself and your problems. You must. Instead engulf yourself in theology - Romans or Hebrews or the book of John. John Piper has some outstanding sermons that will blow you away (Why Was This Child Born Blind) and lead you to enjoy God more than ever. The idea is to fall more in love with God. See His beauty and awesomeness. Learn about His sovereignty. Be blown away be the awesomeness of God and you will be saying to yourself "who cares about this little trial? God ordained it and I trust Him to work all things for His glory and my good." Through trials, you will discover this verse is really REAL.

Sovereignty in Trials:
Why Was This Child Born Blind? - Desiring God
The Works of God and the Worship of Jesus - Desiring God
This Illness Is for the Glory of God - Desiring God
God Working Through Cancer:
150 results for cancer - Desiring God

Jackie, you would probably enjoy reading the companion work to Flavel's treatise mentioned above. Originally paired with that work was another titled The Righteous Man's Refuge.

Flavel begins from the text of Isa. 26:20 and buids his case that the providence and attributes of God are a very real refuge in times of trial, danger and persecution.

Thanks for the recommendation, Wayne! :) I love to read and always take the advice of all you well-read guys on PB and always check out your recommendations. I will look into getting Flavel. I have heard great things about him but have not read him yet. Is he available online or do you recommend buying a specific book? Do you have any links I might use?

I did find a used copy of volume 3 on Amazon Is this my best bet?

Jackie, you would probably enjoy reading the companion work to Flavel's treatise mentioned above. Originally paired with that work was another titled The Righteous Man's Refuge.

Flavel begins from the text of Isa. 26:20 and buids his case that the providence and attributes of God are a very real refuge in times of trial, danger and persecution.

Philippians 4

4 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.

2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.

3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.

5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

14 Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.

15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.

16 For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.

17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.

18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.

19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

20 Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

21 Salute every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren which are with me greet you.

22 All the saints salute you, chiefly they that are of Caesar's household.

23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Flavel can be found at puritanlibrary.com, and probably at archive.org, too.

But if you prefer a real book you can hold, then by all means buy the print copy.

Sometimes best to read a bit on the web or borrow a copy before buying, if you don't know the author.

I also struggle with anxiety....runs in my family. I don't fear things or really worry about things, but I know that can also be stressful. Last night I had such great feelings of dread it was like a weight on my heart. Plus my back was hurting sooooo bad. I turned over and bed and began praying, and afterwards, I felt that dread go away. My pain persisted but at last God brought sleep to my eyes. He really does care for us.....the best Father anyone could have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back