Any avid fishermen on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free Christian

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hi. I love my fishing where I live. Mostly I fish for Trout and Redfin (introduced English Perch). I like using most techniques but do favour the use of soft plastic lure casting. Has anyone got a weird not so common method they use to catch either of these? Maybe some homemade bait that gets them going? Happy to share my methods for catching these with anyone here.

What is noodling? I like going for the Trout using Berkley 3" minnow grubs in the Camo colour, dullish red one side and green the other, with a 1/8th oz jig head.
Cast out as far as I can, in the lake, then let it sink. I then give a good lift and slowly wind for a few seconds and let it stop and drop again. I do this for half of the retrieve then just slow wind it back for the remainder. Sometimes I will fast retrieve almost skipping the lure across the top of the water for the first half, now and then that excites a trout to follow and investigate and then slow it down as I get half way in allowing it to strike. Does not always work as sometimes they shy of when it slows down but now and then one will keep up the follow and strike. Have caught some nice trout that way, the first method. Here in Australia we have a lure called Bozo's. They are awesome in the 3" size for trout in the Brownie colour. I fish for the Reddies using the Berkleys in the same size but Pumpkinseed colour instead. Sometimes using a bright pink grub style as well. I used to live near the ocean Earl and miss it badly. Fished for sharks, mackerel, salmon and a heap of others in central Queensland. Just freshwater where I am now though. Noodling, not actually using noodles is it :lol:

Ha Ha Joshua. You have a dry sense of humour like myself :lol: my wife is always rolling her eyes at my attempts to get a laugh.
Ok, the noodling. Logan yes I saw a segment on a fishing show where the guys were getting monster catfish doing that. I never caught the name for the method.
My Dad used to be good at tickling native freshwater blackfish over here. They hide under rock ledges during the day. He would slowly run his hand along and under a ledge and the feel the fish. Then slowly start to tickle/massage the fishes belly with his fingers. It was said to put the fish into a type of trance. After a minute he would move his fingers to the gill area and grab it. They were not big fish, only up to a 1 lb , 1 lb 1/2 was a big one, but he was good at it. I tried it but could only get to the feel the belly stage, tickle, but never got to grab them. I hope or guess that your catfish taste better than the imported one I tried last week from Asia.
I heard they were nice to eat by someone and thought I would try it. I always reckon a fish tastes according to its environment and what it feeds on. That's why I loved the shovelhead sharks I caught in Queensland off the beaches, they feed on crabs and shellfish and tasted fantastic, unlike some other shark species. But that Asian catfish smelt and tasted like it lived in a sewer and going by their rivers I reckon it did. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back