Any good anti-Easter quotes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Did any of the puritans leave some pithy anti-Easter gems?

"They [conformists] cannot prove any one of the controverted ceremonies to have been in the church the first two hundred years after Christ, except the feast of Easter (which yet can neither be proved to have been observed in the apostles’ own age, nor yet to have been established in the after age by any law, but only to have crept in by a certain private custom), and for some of them they cannot find any clear testimony for a long time thereafter."
Gillespie, EPC (2013), p. 13.

"The celebration of set anniversary days is no necessary mean for conserving the commemoration of the benefits of redemption, because we have occasion, not only every Sabbath day, but every other day, to call to mind these benefits, either in hearing, or reading, or meditating upon God’s word. 'I esteem and judge that the days consecrated to Christ must be lifted,' says Danæus: 'Christ is born, is circumcised, dies, rises again for us every day in the preaching of the Gospel.'" George Gillespie, "A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies," 1.7.6.

The New Testament plainly discourages the attempt to fill up the calendar with holidays. Gal. 4.9-11; Col. 2.16-23. Even days of fasting or thanksgiving are not holy days; but they are a part of secular time voluntarily devoted to God’s service. And if we are to perform these things at all, we must take some time for them. Yet none but God can sanctify a day so as to make it holy. The attempt to do this was one of the sins of Jeroboam. 1 Kings 12.33. If the clause, Six days shalt thou labour, is merely permissive, it is still enough for us. For who dare take away the liberty which God has here given us?

– William S. Plumer, The Law of God as Contained in the Ten Commandments

I was hoping COVID-19 would also cancel all the tired Puritanboard rhetoric that predictably happens every single Easter and Christmas.

For me...I am on a crusade to end that infernal contrived special day called Arbor Day! Arbor Day is the devil's holiday and worships Mother Earth.

Satan laughs every time you plant a tree!

Does 'not public info' mean that only that non-PBers can't see it? Because I can't see Rutherglen's profile (or name) - is that a glitch from the transition?
I knew when I typed that it might be misunderstood; my apologies. Only mods and admins can see this information. Folks should not change the information required upon joining out of privacy concerns. As the information was required to be approved, it remains required to remain a member.

Isn't calling Richard Hooker an Anglo-Catholic an anachronism? I doubt he would associate himself with the likes of Newman or Pusey.
I'm not using it that way in that historical sense; more AnglicanCatholic; but it is an appropriate description w.r.t. the ceremonies someone noted. If I find that I'll post it.

He wants to bring back the ceremonial calendar? All such days and times were by divine appointment; he wants to claim that because God provided these to the church in the OT as shadows, church fathers, a church, he himself, can do the same and multiply days besides the Lord's Day? If we are arguing from indifference, that a church may or may not do something like set aside a service once a year to focus on some aspect of Christ's life, then it stands or falls by the Scriptures governing things indifferent. A monument of idolatry is no longer indifferent. Something that is a constant stumbling block for bringing back in the idolatrous church calendar tossed out at the reformation cannot be indifferent any longer. If it still is a badge and honor of Antichrist, it is not indifferent. Talk about frustrating; this I find very frustrating in the way some articulate the Reformed practice in this regard, and as if it was an uncontroversial thing in their own history. It was not and as Voetius notes, if not for magistrates and stubborn people a lot of the Reformed would have been free of these completely like the Presbyterians used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back