Any good Christian books for my wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm looking for a book that my wife would enjoy. She's not into heavy theological works and she recently enjoyed "12 Extraordinary Women" by John MacArthur and "Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges.

Last edited:
I'm halfway through John Stott's 'Why I Am A Christian' and it is very good for an introduction into basic concepts of the Faith. I plan on giving it to a friend who has told me many times, "I wish I could believe as you do, but I just can't."

She would probably appreciate C.S. Lewis's book Screwtape Letters, and its modern update Lord Foulgrin's Letters, by Randy Alcorn, as long as she was aware of the premise of each book.

My #1 recommendation is "The Attributes Of God" by Arthur W. Pink. A later and expanded version is called "Gleanings In The Godhead". Both are available as free ebooks.

There are 2 biographies I recommend.

"Tortured For Christ" by Richard Wurmbrand. He was a Lutheran minister in Eastern Europe at the start of WW2. A demonstration of Christian hope and love while being tortured.

"Rees Howells: Intercessor" by Norman Grubb. A man who devoted his life to prayer ministry.

Maybe she would enjoy 'A Praying Life' and 'A Loving Life' by Paul Miller? They are easy to read, very helpful, and I enjoyed them very much (and hope to reread the first soon). Despite disagreeing with some things here and there, I think they are very valuable.

I have also loved biographies of women from reformed traditions: their witness to the sufficiency of God's word for our life of faith (even in very hard times) has been a huge blessing to me -- books by Helen Rosaveare, Darlene Diebler Rose's 'Evidence Not Seen', Corrie Ten Boom's 'Hiding Place'.

Your wife might also enjoy the books by Faith Cook that are composed of a number of shorter biographies (like 'Seeing the Invisible').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back