Any here familiar with the 1833 Confession

Discussion in 'The Confession of Faith' started by Dachaser, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dachaser

Dachaser Puritan Board Professor

Is this similar to the 1689 baptist Confession then?

2. Doulos McKenzie

Doulos McKenzie Puritan Board Freshman

a quick google search should help you with you simple question.

3. Dachaser

I was surprised that Confession even existed, as a fellow Baptist of mine is following that one.

4. Doulos McKenzie

cool, I guess?

5. Dachaser

Yes, as there are more than just the Westminster 1647 or the Baptist 1689 Confessions, but those were the main 2 that I was aware of until now.

6. Doulos McKenzie

really

7. Dachaser

I never attended a Reformed or a Confessing Church, and just found out about the other various Confessions while exploring more into reformed theology when I came out of my Pentecostal past.

8. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

9. Dachaser

Did the Baptists get together to forge their 1689 Confession for the same reason though?

10. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

Here is a link to the preamble to the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith: Preamble to the 1689 LBC

17th century English Calvinistic Baptists felt compelled to write a more comprehensive confession than the 1644/46 Confession, as a means of explaining their points of agreement and disagreement with Presbyterians. The Baptist believed that they were being confused with the Anabaptists and wanted to distance themselves from that sects beliefs. Here is the opening paragraph of the preamble:

11. Dachaser

So they wanted to express themselves as holding to Covenant theology, but not exactly as the Presbyterians would tend to view it as being in the bible?

12. PuritanCovenanter

PuritanCovenanter Moderator Staff Member

Sorry guys, I have been away for a bit for some health reasons. The Original post was concerning a Baptist Confession. In 1742 Baptists in America put together the Philadelphia Confession of Faith. If you want a good resource on Baptist Confessions you can get a copy of William Lumpkin's book for cheap on Amazon right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/Baptist-Confessions-Faith-William-Lumpkin/dp/081700016X

Concerning the New Hampshire Confession here is a little blurb from Tom Nettles on it.
    http://founders.org/2014/07/17/the-new-hampshire-confession/

13. Dachaser

This Confession seems to written at an easier to grasp level than the 1689 one, would both be seen as being acceptable to hold with/to for a Confession of faith?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.