Any solid Reformed sermons on contentment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawrence9008

Puritan Board Freshman
Asking for any recommendations on sermons from Reformed ministers on the subject of contentment (preferably on SermonAudio, though it is alright if the recommendations are in other formats). Contentment is probably (besides sexual temptation, unfortunately) the thing that I have struggled with the most in my ~2 years of being a Christian. The Lord has grown me considerably over the last few months with regards to contentment, as (who would've thought?) my world didn't end along with my previous relationship. I have recently found Him to be a sweeter and more precious refuge, Savior, Father, friend, etc. than I ever have before, and there are times where I feel like my heart can generally say with the psalmist, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you" (Ps. 73:25). However, I am still a long way from being as unshakably content in Christ as I would like to be, and so hearing some preaching on the topic would be helpful for me. Oh to have all the streams of my heart flow into the one channel of Christ!

Note: I can obviously look on SermonAudio myself for sermons about this, but I ask here because I trust the recommendations I receive on the PB will be from sound and edifying sources. Also, I have read Burroughs' Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment before, and so while I treasure that book deeply, I would ask for other recs besides that.

I was going to recommend an audio version of Rare Jewel :). I don’t know of any modern pastor who could or has preached a sermon of any near comparable value than that work. The first couple pages alone are probably better than 10 modern sermons (and that might be a low estimate).

Here is a SermonAudio link to part 1 of a 15 part series entitled The Art of Contentment. Pastor Dave Chanski used Thomas Watson's The Art of Divine Contentment, commenting on Philippians 4:11, as a guide for these sermons. Chanski, and Watson, are both sound guides. :)

May God use these sermons for your edification.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back