Any Stamp Collectors on the Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.

Puritan Board Sophomore
Morning Friends,

I dabbled in stamps years ago after taking an interest in learning more about some stamp albums I inherited when my father died. He had several White Ace albums with U.S. stamps that got me interested in learning more about the hobby.

Recently I started thinking about rekindling my interests in the hobby and getting my children involved as an activity to do with them. Maybe purchase a lot of unsorted stamps and dump them on a table to sort through with them. In addition to it being an activity we could all do together I think there would be some educational value in learning about new countries, historic moments and famous people commemorated, etc.

One thing I've appreciated about the disruption COVID has providentially had is the slower pace of life and the opportunity to do more activities together with my children.

Are there any stamp collectors on the board? If so, what are your collecting interests?

I collected stamps for awhile when I was a teenager. Back in the Olden Times, you could send away for a fairly large bag of unsorted stamps to get you started. It was interesting, for awhile.

I also used to collect when I was a teenager. Focused on South African Stamps as well as those of GB and Germany.
Never had something of great value though.

The engraving on older stamps is quite beautiful. It's like having a miniature piece of artwork.

I personally took an interest in U.S. revenue stamps and precancels of towns and cities of Virginia.

Hey,

Sorry for late reply because I was extremely busy with my summer studies. But this was my hobby for a long time.

Your mentioning of this hobby just lead me to reconsider a lot. I wish you do so sooner :)

Stamp collection is certainly a healthy hobby at reasonably price. Things that would cost you much in this activity are perhaps albums or preservation materials (if you are overly cautious). The benefits of this, I think, are mainly about artistic values and cultural understandings based on the stamps' depictions.

My stamp collections began in Vietnam where I was born. Before I had any real stamp, I collected stamps online that are well-scanned (i.e. better resolution) before copying and pasting into a Word document to print it in color, then I cut the stamps out of the sheets and glue then to my notebook. Then, in one of my birthday, my mom surprisingly brought me three filled stamps albums. They are sold at the post office as souvenir. I was so satisfied with it that I glued my eyes into the albums for several days. And adding to that collections were old albums brought from the attic. They were formerly used by my relative for his enthusiasm as well. So, it was a hugh gain for me that years. Though I don't have my albums at the moment, I am confident to tell you that my collection was diverse in terms of nationalites and historical periods they represented.

Regrettably, my enthusiasm over the time diminished with the advent of the other hobbies, such as scale modelling. I did not attempt to carry my albums over to Canada at any point in my brief re-visit to my home country. As a result, they were left to dust on the top floor of the house in Vietnam. The only ways to retrieve it back is to ask someone mail it to here or travel there yourself. And there are possibilities of it being destroyed or given away due to the generosity of the home owner to kids visiting there.

So, without my stamp collection here, I will reproduce some examples I remember via the internet. I may re-start this hobby :)

1596873640434.png 1596873708245.png 1596873747106.png 1596873773415.png 1596873806409.png 1596873909350.png 1596873949542.png 1596874048396.png
1596874118557.png 1596874153924.png

Last edited:
And you can actually expand your collection by Amazon. Ebay has plenty more but I wouldn't trust its credibility.

I was gifted someone else's expansive collection. My favorites are the ones from the defunct Republic of Rhodesia. I will send pictures soon.

I got to appreciate you @B.L. that you mentioned this again. I am considering scale-modelling but it's a costly one.

15 years ago or so my wife worked in accounts receivable at a large home center. She noticed that one account was sending their monthly checks by mail using 2 to 5 cent stamps from the 40's and 50's. She made contact and discovered it was an elderly widow who was just "making good use" of her late husband's stamp collection! We asked if she would be interested in selling them instead. She said sure, and asked only for face value. I really had no idea what they were worth but offered and ended up paying several times face value. There are probably close to 1000 in all, and many of them are in uncirculated plate block form. They're very cool, but I still have no idea what they might actually be worth as collectables...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back