Any studies on the holy spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out Sinclair Ferguson's "The Holy Spirit" published by IVP...

I'd also recommend J.I. Packer's book "Keep in Step with the Spirit"

I'd also recommend Kuyper's work on it, which is probably the most extensive. It was just republished in a paperback version. R.C. Sproul has a book on it which is even more basic. So, I'd read them all in this order: Sproul, Ferguson (which is indeed outstanding), Kuyper, Owen.

C.R. Vaughn's book The Gifts of the Holy Spirit is worth looking into.

I'd also recommend Kuyper's work on it, which is probably the most extensive. It was just republished in a paperback version. R.C. Sproul has a book on it which is even more basic. So, I'd read them all in this order: Sproul, Ferguson (which is indeed outstanding), Kuyper, Owen.

Owen is better, fuller and more comprehensive than Kuyper. Everyone that thinks that Reformed theology is dry and not focused on the Spirit needs to read Calvin (he was called, after all, "the theologian of the Holy Spirit" ) and Owen.

You can't get better (in my opinion) than Owen vols 3 & 4.

Owen is better, fuller and more comprehensive than Kuyper. Everyone that thinks that Reformed theology is dry and not focused on the Spirit needs to read Calvin (he was called, after all, "the theologian of the Holy Spirit" ) and Owen.

You can't get better (in my opinion) than Owen vols 3 & 4.

I agree. In addition, some of Owen's thoughts on how the Holy Spirit operates in the church can also be found dispersed among his works on the church body, church government, and sermons on the subject.

Also, a book on the nature of true conversion by the Holy Spirit that has been helpful for me is Edwards' The Religious Affections.

I have two recommendations:

[1] With Fred I can't go past volumes 3 & 4 of Owen's works. However, Owen's writing is not that accessible for those not used to him.

[2] For something that is easy to understand but very profound a new work just released is: Graham Cole, He Who Gives Life: The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit. It's awesome; better than Ferguson and Packer In my humble opinion.

I must second Michael's recommendation. While not a comprehensive treatment, B.B. Warfield's work on the Holy Spirit is top-notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back