Any suggestions on how to cook deer meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-----Added 12/2/2008 at 11:02:23 EST-----

I personally found it rather interesting that he would not gross us out with the written details, but instead chose the less graphic technicolor version. :lol:

Hey, nobody made you mash that button. ;)

Hee hee hee. . .

Pam's dad and stepmother were here for the holidays and are leaving tomorrow. Tonight I made sliced potatoes with onion cooked in a pan with olive oil and butter. In a separate pan I cooked backstrap steaks (two straps worth) marinated in Worcestershire sauce, pepper and garlic. They were about 5/8 of an inch thick and browned on the outside, very pink on the inside. When I was done with the steaks I cooked some green beans in the juice left in the pan. Top that off with (can I say it here?) a cold glass of Da Red (local/U.P. red wine) and we had a wonderful feast. It was a nice way to end a great visit from our son and Pam's folks (son leaves Monday).
The meal reminded me of this thread, so I thought I'd share. Now you can wipe your chin and go to the next thread.

Umm, this is where I'm ashamed of the fact that I've never hunted a day in my life. :scratch: I can't even catch a fish in a fully-stocked trout stream. All I know is what I've been told, and that is that to tenderize and cook it well.
I also like bookslover's tip- you just can't go wrong making sure it's already dead...

I just wanted to update everyone on the progress we have made with the deer meat. We started off by soaking it in milk to take the game flavor out of it, but we are no longer doing that. I have cooked this stuff every way I can think of and we have absolutely loved it. The burgers are the best we have ever eaten. My next attempt is to cook meatballs, and then on to jerky. We are getting at least one more deer from my friend, that will carry us for quite some time. If you guys think of more recipes, PLEASE send them.

Hey Lawrence U., do you have any deer jerky recipes you might want to share? :)

I do not believe it another one of these American-eating-threads that leaves me hungry, eventhough it is food we almost never eat here.

I'd say chip some of the meat up and put it in a crock pot with som BBQ and SLOW cook it for .... ever.

I do not believe it another one of these American-eating-threads that leaves me hungry, even though it is food we almost never eat here.

I don't know about Denmark, Martin, but over here in The Netherlands the deer and swine populations (on the Veluwe) are strictly state-controlled; there is a yearly hunt for qualified hunters, with quantities predetermined by species, age and sex, and the environmentalists make sure no one even thinks of shooting one out of season...

If you Americans knew what we pay for venison in the supermarket...

The burgers are the best we have ever eaten.

ABSOLUTELY!

What's bad about that is when you go back to beef. Ugh, I hate that. Beef burgers are tasteless after enjoying deer burgers for a while.

What's bad about that is when you go back to beef. Ugh, I hate that. Beef burgers are tasteless after enjoying deer burgers for a while.

I haven't eaten any much beef since we got the deer meat, but I know what you mean. Those burgers are so tender. My youngest daughters can't get enough of the deer meat. The upside for us is that my friend's husband loves to hunt, but they don't eat the meat. They will give us all that they get their hands on. I am paying for the processing, and you can't beat the price, $30 for the whole thing.

I do not believe it another one of these American-eating-threads that leaves me hungry, even though it is food we almost never eat here.

I don't know about Denmark, Martin, but over here in The Netherlands the deer and swine populations (on the Veluwe) are strictly state-controlled; there is a yearly hunt for qualified hunters, with quantities predetermined by species, age and sex, and the environmentalists make sure no one even thinks of shooting one out of season...

If you Americans knew what we pay for venison in the supermarket...

There is a quota for how many per year but not whom are allowed by age or sex, they only have to be licensed hunters.
And we also pay a fortune for that kind of meet, and in our contry the enviromentalist make ALL the rules :mad:

Argh. I just lost a long post in which i was putting up some recipes for jerky. Now, I'm out of time. I'll post them later.

Argh. I just lost a long post in which i was putting up some recipes for jerky. Now, I'm out of time. I'll post them later.

I hate it when that happens, I started typing out my long things in Word then copying and pasting.

Thank you for your effort. I can wait for the recipes. Post them whenever you have time.

Venison fillets wrapped in bacon. The bacon fat adds flavor and actually keeps the venison from cooking too quickly. Try it sometime. Secure the bacon with toothpicks.

A good marinade for venison or elk steaks:

Apple juice (75%)
Jack Daniels (25%)
Brown sugar (to taste; don't worry about too much)

Marinate at least 24 hrs; grill to desired doneness.

Venison fillets wrapped in bacon. The bacon fat adds flavor and actually keeps the venison from cooking too quickly. Try it sometime. Secure the bacon with toothpicks.

I actually found some bacon ends on sale at the grocery store and bought them, it is great! I have been saving bacon grease too and rubbing the pan with that when I cook. I will have to try the wrapping.

A good marinade for venison or elk steaks:

Apple juice (75%)
Jack Daniels (25%)
Brown sugar (to taste; don't worry about too much)

Marinate at least 24 hrs; grill to desired doneness

This sounds really good, is it sweet? Can you use Jim Beam instead? I don't have any JD around, but I do have Beam. I will have to try this and let you know how it turns out. Thanks much!

Mindy, I like to prepare venison fillets this way: tenderize the fillets with a fork on each side about five or six times. Very lightly salt (pinch) on both sides. Take two slices of bacon and wrap them around the fillet length ways and width ways. Secure with tooth pick. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45-60 minutes. Then broil or grill and cook to choice.

It's not overly sweet, but you can always cut back on marinate time. Jim Beam will work also.

Any steaks wrapped in bacon are great on the grill, just don't make the mistake I did. Was trying to use up the extra bacon, so I wrapped 3 strips around the sides. By the time the bacon was done, the steaks were overcooked (medium-well = ruined:tombstone:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back