Any takers?

Discussion in 'Puritan Literature' started by py3ak, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

Logos wants to translate Owen's Latin works. Carl Trueman lays out the qualifications for a translator.
    Logos, Owen and Latin - Reformation21 Blog

I know some people who fit the bill, but I don't know if they're available or if Logos already has someone picked out.

2. jandrusk

jandrusk Puritan Board Sophomore

I think Dr. McMahon would be a good candidate.

3. CharlieJ

CharlieJ Puritan Board Junior

Sorry, I'm busy translating 16th-century Catholics right now. But maybe next time this offer comes around.

4. py3ak

If you know people involved in this, put a bug in their ear that Hilary on the Psalms has been too long overlooked.

5. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura Puritan Board Doctor

I'd do it, but I'm too busy spinning around in my chair.

6. py3ak

I think we would all prefer you carry on with that important work.

7. Zach

Zach Puritan Board Junior

Oink.

8. Don Kistler

Don Kistler Puritan Board Sophomore

Carl Trueman says that the translation of the present English edition "is so flawed as to be worthless." J.I. Packer read the book and said the Latin translation to English was a good one. Go figure.

9. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking the same thing....

I have the volume, and I've found it quite valuable. My edition has a few typos and I recall part of one page had been omitted, but it was hardly worthless.

It's not a "critical edition," but I found the whole volume very much worth owning.

10. py3ak

I have the volume as well, but am not prepared to speak to the translation. I also remember either part of a page missing or some very scrambled text, and some typos. But I certainly couldn't tell why Owen thought it his best work, so I'm willing to consider that perhaps a better edition would make that more clear. I wonder if I am the only one for whom a J.I. Packer endorsement has ceased to be significant, however. The range of his endorsements and recommendations is so vast that to me it adds nothing.

11. Don Kistler

Don Kistler Puritan Board Sophomore

Dr. Packer was not endorsing the book itself, necessarily. He was commenting on the Latin translation, which shouldn't have anything at all to do with how many books he has or has not endorsed.

12. Jeff Burns

Jeff Burns Puritan Board Freshman

I'm sure you're not the only one. The internet is filled with curmudgony discernment blogger types :D

(said with tongue remarkably deep in cheek!! I happen to think the same thing sometimes.)

13. py3ak

Discernment bloggers: the main reason you question whether someone is as bad as you actually thought. Because if a discernment blogger hates them, maybe they're doing something right after all.

There is a letter by C.S. Lewis in which he refuses to introduce someone's book, not because he disliked it, but because he thought he was becoming too visible (and that his very visibility might harm the other fellow's book). I think there's something to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.