Anybody Here Play An Instrument/s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gregg,

Excellent name you have there! ;) I don't play anymore, but I used to play the bass back in high school and for a few years after. I still have my Fender fretless Jazz bass. Once in a while I'll pull it out and mess around a little, but nothing serious.

Play guitar and bass guitar. Have studied Jazz and Classical formally for many years. Stopped playing Classical because it required too much time to keep a decent repertoire up. Currently own a Lowden O32 Jumbo Acoustic and a Taylor/Klein AB-1 Acoustic Bass Guitar.

"play" is a relative term.
I can do endless rolls and chord changes on a banjo but it falls short of actual music most of the time.

Organ, harpsichord, acoustic guitar, trombone, baritone horn, baroque recorder, harmonica, fiddle, flute, and kazoo. I can play the saw in a pinch.

I have a guitar and play it all the time, but I'm not very good at all and have NO natural talent for it.

I had drums and seemed to excel on that while it lasted.... I'd like to get another set and keep drumming.

In the meantime I keep printing out "tablature" for the guitar and trying to learn some of the cool licks, (which is mainly just the "chord" parts of the songs; anything for the "lead guitar" is too hard for me).

Originally posted by victorbravo
Organ, harpsichord, acoustic guitar, trombone, baritone horn, baroque recorder, harmonica, fiddle, flute, and kazoo. I can play the saw in a pinch.
how did you get the time to do all that? man you're good.

I am professional cellist and orchestra teacher. Thus, I play some violin, viola, and bass also. And of course, the guitar.

Originally posted by CJ_Chelpka
I am professional cellist and orchestra teacher. Thus, I play some violin, viola, and bass also. And of course, the guitar.

... and maybe you could take all the guiiittttarrrr pickers (spoken in a hillbilly nasal tone), break us up into 4 (asymmetrical) groups, and teach each group violin, viola, cello, and bass respectively. Then we could have The Puritan Board String Ocrchestra! :banana:

In reality, the Guitar has pretty much been a colossal waste of time and money (I've owned over 20 guitars total since age 13 but have regained my sanity and currently only have one 6-string and one bass) in my life.

With all my heart I'd rather of been a cellist or double bassist. The possibilities for ensemble playing doing truly great music are so much better!

Guitar, Piano, Mandolin, Mandola, Bass Guitar, Trombone

I recently taught classical guitar at Richland College for a year and a half. I still give private lessons on guitar & piano (and sometimes mandolin, when I can find a student).

I also write songs, ranging in style from hymn to southern gospel to contemporary. Lyrics for five of my songs can be found here. And 2 of my songs have been professionally recorded by this group. I wrote tracks 1 & 10 on this particular CD. Track 1, "One Good Reason", is southern gospel. Track 10, "Grace for Me", is more of a hymn. This group sings in the USA, Korea, and Australia.

img45.jpg

Originally posted by Slippery
Originally posted by victorbravo
how did you get the time to do all that? man you're good.

Well, I'm sort of old and I never said I played them well. ;)

Actually, in my youth and through college I practiced about 4 hours a day on various musical instruments. I was sort of an obsessed double major: music and geophysical engineering (ultimately graduated in agronomy and French). As a music major, I had plenty of opportunity to perform and learn about new instruments. I also composed music.

Now I'm much more subdued, but all those years of work still stick with me.

It also helped that I completely quit TV when I was a sophmore in high school. That itself freed up about 2-3 hours a day.

Vic

Classically trained vocalist (graduate degrees in Performance and Pedagogy) - guitar - mandolin - bass - recorder - tin whistle - mandolin - drums - keyboard - whatever is missing from the ensemble...

Wife is classically trained violinist, so I don't do that...

:D

B.S. Music Education. I'm a band director.
Primary instruments: Alto Sax (21 yrs), Piano (18 yrs)
Everything else: Baritone Horn/Euphonium (4-5 years), Clarinet (8 years), Flute ( depends on the music), Recorder ( 1 year ) and enough Trumpet, Tuba, Percussion and every other instrument (except Strings) to start and teach beginners and some intermediate folks.

Originally posted by CapnJ
I play Guitar, Banjo, and mandolin. Bluegrass rulez!

Amen!!

I play mandolin. Which means that I think Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder are simply incredible.

Originally posted by Romans922
i play acoustic and bass guitar and mandolin

:ditto:

We should jam sometime!

I use to play trumpet and french horn in high school but gave them up after learning the guitar. Of course I hardly have time to play anything much anymore. I only play guitar now during family worship.....

I used to play the clarinet... until one day I looked around and I was the only boy (all the others had switched to the sax, but my parents couldn't afford a sax for me...) so I quit, because I didn't want to be thought of as being girly.

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
I used to play the clarinet... until one day I looked around and I was the only boy (all the others had switched to the sax, but my parents couldn't afford a sax for me...) so I quit, because I didn't want to be thought of as being girly.
Are you calling Benny Goodman girly???? ;)

Originally posted by puritansailor
Originally posted by SolaScriptura
Are you calling Benny Goodman girly???? ;)

Hey... I was just recalling the thoughts of a 13-year-old boy. ;)

But now that you mention it.... :lol:

[Edited on 1-22-2006 by SolaScriptura]

I play Trumpet for the Canadian military (Army Reserves).

I can also play any other brass instrument except slide Trombone.

Guitar(I'm horrible)
Piano(Still horrible)
Teaching myself drums(Extremely horrible)
Getting an Ibanez S470 guitar soon. Need money, hmmmm...O look, moneys!:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back