Anyone Else Enjoy Instrumental Music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
Here are only 10 of the ones I like most. I've got lots more than this.

Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer
Rise - Herb Alpert
Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
Time Is Tight - Booker T and the MG's
Love Is Blue - Paul Mauriat
A Walk in the Black Forest - Horst Jankowski
Washington Square - The Village Stompers
Theme from Route 66 - Nelson Riddle
'S Wonderful - Ray Coniff and the Singers
Canadian Sunset - Hugo Winterhalter

I'm one of these "oddballs" that appreciates the World's Best Elevator Music. That's another topic.

Most definitely. I remember years ago when I was learning the guitar there was a guy named Joe Satriani who had some wonderful instrumental music. Don't listen to him anymore and don't play much guitar anymore.

Liquid Tension Experiment - if you are into Mike Portnoy and heavy jazz fusion :cool:

Eric Johnson - blues/jazz/country/progressive rock guitarist has some beautiful instrumental pieces. (He sings a good bit too)

Peter Gabriel - does wonderful movie scores/soundtracks, if you like world music.

Don't listen to much classical or jazz, mostly rock. In general, I lean more toward lyrical music, but I appreciate a good instrumental too. It was great when my friends in college would hear me listening to something like Liquid Tension Experiment and say, "Uh, you realize there's no words, right?"

[Edited on 8-30-2006 by bradofshaw]

I hear you. As if words were the be all and end all of music. I even like music with words but sung in a different language. It's about the music more than the words (except for religious music, there must be words)

I hear you. As if words were the be all and end all of music. I even like music with words but sung in a different language. It's about the music more than the words (except for religious music, there must be words)

Brandenburg Concertos by Bach
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach
Water Music by Handel
Royal Fireworks by Handel
Reformation Symphony by Mendelssohn
Canon in D Major by Pachelbel
Rhapsody on a Theme From Paginini by Rachmaninoff
Fur Elise by Beethoven
Ode to Joy by Beethoven
Four Seasons by Vivaldi
Jessica by the Allman Brothers
A Fifth of Beethoven by Walter Murphy & the Big Apple Band
Chariots of Fire by Vangelis
Various by Mannheim Steamroller
The Entertainer by Scott Joplin

[Edited on 8-30-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Steve Hackett's Momentum album is about as classical as I get, but it has some really cool pieces (all nylon guitar).

"Fur Elise by Beethoven" :up:

This one is one of my routine fingering practices for my guitar. I also do "Sunrise, Sunset" from "Fiddler On The Roof". Fun to do.

I disagree that religious music has to have words. But that's another discussion.

I also remember an album from many years back called "Nashville Cats", which was all guitar instrumentals from various artists. I used to listen to it all day, and wish I could play guitar like that.

Originally posted by BaptistCanuk
I hear you. As if words were the be all and end all of music. I even like music with words but sung in a different language. It's about the music more than the words ...

:up: I tend to enjoy vocals more when they have a good score.

For this thread I was thinking more like instrumentals that you would hear on stations that play oldies, rock-n-roll, popular, or some of the more eclectic ones that play a little bit of everything. See original message.

More examples like

Breezin' - George Benson
The Lonely Bull - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
No Matter What Shape - T Bones
Last Date - Floyd Cramer

[size=-2]Oh well that killed that ... August 30, 2006 is the day the (instrumental) music died.[/size] :tombstone:

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by jaybird0827]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back