Anyone going to see The Happening?

Will you go see THE HAPPENING?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am (or was) a M. Night Shyamalan movie fan. I have not heard that he made another movie. I am not as excited because his last movie was pretty bad (i.e. Lady in the Water).

I did not really like "Lady in the Water" either. I thought "The Village" was MUCH better. I don't know if I'll go see "The Happening".

He is a great story-teller, I really enjoy how he tells storys as it's always very entertaining. However, the subject-matter in "Lady in the Water" just didn't sit well with me. It was more of a fairy tale than a story with a big twist, which is what I'm accustomed to and enjoy from him.

I also fear something much different from "The Happening". A disease or zombie movie with a bunch of people killing themselves is what I expect, and I don't like it.

Seeing a Shyamalan has become this horrifically abusive relationship where I desperately cling to the belief that if I keep loving him, he'll stop hitting me.

Wow.

I loved "Lady in the Water." I think he is a great filmmaker. He makes you think about the movie, often about things spiritual. Maybe that's why the critics don't like him. He's also not a nihilist. Those type of films play much better to the critics.

Have you seen the reviews, this thing is supposedly TERRIBLE in every aspect.

Really?

But they've said that about all of his movies. :(

:amen:
100 people told me The Village was "awful" and I went and saw it anyway. Excellent movie.

It certainly is. But 'The Happening' has to be the LAMEST film name ever. What next?

Coming soon:

'Movie: the movie'

'The day we did stuff'

etc

I will not go. That guy totally creeps me out! I was able to make it through Signs, but I got so scared during The Village that I had to turn it off. (I still had trouble walking around the house at night for a week.) There is definitely something different about this director because other horror movies don't really affect me.

I will not go. That guy totally creeps me out! I was able to make it through Signs, but I got so scared during The Village that I had to turn it off. (I still had trouble walking around the house at night for a week.) There is definitely something different about this director because other horror movies don't really affect me.

So you never finished watching 'The Village'? You really should, because watching it to the end will sort out your nightmares.:)

There is definitely something different about this director because other horror movies don't really affect me.

I think it is because he lets you scare yourself. You'll notice that the "monster" is often ill-defined so that you can project your own imagined fears onto the bad guy. That's why I really like his stuff, especially "Signs" and "The Sixth Sense".

And Jonathan is right, watch "The Village" to the end and your fears will be put to rest. :)

Last edited:
Did any one like the movie Signs, with Mel Gibson? Tried watching it twice but always got interrupted at the end so I never got to see how it ended.

I started reading Jonathan and Daniel's posts in English and Irish accents.

Much more enjoyable.

What next?

Coming soon:

'Movie: the movie'

'The day we did stuff'

etc

There was a TV program with that theme....Seinfeld.

a068.gif

Good One

No way will I watch any more of The Village. I already had someone explain the ending to me.

Did any one like the movie Signs, with Mel Gibson? Tried watching it twice but always got interrupted at the end so I never got to see how it ended.

Signs is on my "Top Ten Movies of All Times" list.

OK, so without giving anything away, does it have a surprise ending like all his other movies? Trying to figure out what the twist in that movie is.

It's not as big a twist as in "The Sixth Sense". I would classify it as "satisfying", within the context of the movie. However, I must add that it is not the ending that puts it on my top 10 list.

I don't know if I'll see it or not, reading one of the reviews it's being compared to the "Wicker Man", I thought that was a stupid movie.

edit to add..

I find this part of the review interesting..

There's a problem and we cut to a school where the students take unrealistically in stride that the world is pretty much ending. The characters are so far removed from reality that, when news of the disaster hits, it makes you wonder if Shyamalan ever stepped outside his house on 9/11. There's no panic or disorder and everyone freely accepts their information from the high school itself and goes home. No one's getting texts or making phone calls or demanding that someone explain what's happening.

The way things are going in the world today, it's possible kids can get so emotionally disconnected and lacking compassion for others, that something like this could be feasible.

With all the high school shootings and deaths they hear about, whats a few more? The outward effects of brainwashed students..

The way things are going in the world today, it's possible kids can get so emotionally disconnected and lacking compassion for others, that something like this could be feasible.

With all the high school shootings and deaths they hear about, whats a few more? The outward effects of brainwashed students..

And you know, this is just the kind of thing that Shyamalan picks up on. :2cents: And sometimes even the smaller details play major parts in the plot later in the movie. Think of all the little "hints" that you missed in "The Sixth Sense" (unless someone ruined it for you beforehand) as you watched it the first time.

The only two of his movies that I liked were "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs". While I don't want to build up the movie too much and set too high of expectations for you, I still really recommend seeing it. It's definitely worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back