Anyone got recommendations for good commentaries on 1 and 2 Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I did a search before posting and there does not seem much on Peter 1 or 2, so lets fix that now.

There are actually some really excellent ones on both of those epistles now. Here are my recommendations:

1 Peter- Jobes, Achtemeier, Leighton (you might have to find this one used), Grudem, Sproul, Selwyn, Brown, Schreiner, and Clowney.

2 Peter- Bauckham, Schreiner, Davids, Green, Sproul, and Adams.

I preached through 1 Peter over a year ago and am currently preaching through 2 Peter now. Lane's list pretty much sums it up. One thing to keep in mind, though: 1 and 2 Peter are not always grouped together by commentators (2 Peter is often grouped with Jude b/c of the similarity in the two epistles).

I will add a third recommendation for Adams. It is a lot of material, but it is excellent. You will find yourself reading 10 or so pages of fairly small font type in two columns on a single verse, but there is much gold in his thoughts.

My church is currently going through 1 Peter in Sunday school. We are using Clowney's commentary as a guide. We just started and the Clowney books are in the mail, but I will try to update when I get mine Sunday and have a chance to read through it.

Alexander Nisbet.

I have Nisbet but have found him very long winded. Given the age he is probably very close to the Puritan era. This would make him both long-winded and insightful. I will post elsewhere on verse 7 and his observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back