Anyone Have A Psalter Plan/Schedule To Follow For Family Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

For you EP'ers out there, can anyone link me to a Psalm singing plan/schedule? Similar to a Bible reading plan.

We have started using the 1650 in family worship and I would like some sort of plan laid out for making sure we finish the entire psalter over a period of time, but also go back periodically and review the ones we have already learned.

Thanks.

A calendar for singing the psalms through in a year can be found here (but you might need to purchase it): http://psalmsingers.com/

However, I (and various families I know) usually just sing straight through them from beginning to end. The shorter psalms are sung through entirely at once. The longer ones are broken up to sing through them in a few sessions. (Some will go further and break up the medium length ones into two shorter selections: singing half the psalm at the beginning of family worship and the remaining half at the end of family worship.) If one breaks up the psalm into a singable portion that has a complete unit of thought, one usually can sing through the entirety of the 1650 psalter 1-2.5 times each year (depends on things like how consistent family worship is, whether one has family worship once or twice a day, etc.).

In the psalm singing tradition, we usually also have "psalm sings," where people will gather together either as a family or as friends to pick out psalms to sing. On some Lord's days, members of families will just say, "Let's sing some psalms!" and they will sing through some. Because of this, one usually gets exposure to the psalms all the more (howbeit, usually just to the ones that the people one is with like to pick...of course, one could instead make use of these to review psalms that one has sung; some people will make use of these to practice singing the psalms selected for the next meeting of public worship).

The Comprehensive Psalter is arranged according to a plan to sing through the Psalter in a year. Unfortunately, it has been out of print for a number of years. @NaphtaliPress or @Rev. Todd Ruddell might be able to give you a link to the plan, though.

I find a heading file but I cannot locate the schedule in my archive of files. This probably was posted to the website; it was not published in the actual psalter if I'm looking correctly at old framemaker pub files and my copy.
The Comprehensive Psalter is arranged according to a plan to sing through the Psalter in a year. Unfortunately, it has been out of print for a number of years. @NaphtaliPress or @Rev. Todd Ruddell might be able to give you a link to the plan, though.

I find a heading file but I cannot locate the schedule in my archive of files. This probably was posted to the website; it was not published in the actual psalter if I'm looking correctly at old framemaker pub files and my copy.
That's a shame. It would be a handy schedule to have. Who came up with it?

We don't have a schedule, per se. The Comprehensive Psalter was originally put together, Psalter selection by Psalter selection, so that one could sing through the Psalter twice in the year, with the cooperation of the Orders or Worship on the Lord's Day. In other words, the Psalter is set up with 52 X 6 weeks worth of selections. Every other year at CCRPC, we sing straight through the Psalter, one selection after the other. This takes 51 weeks, and then there is one week for miscellaneous selections. If the congregation joins the orders of worship, by starting on the first Monday of the year with Psalm 1, and progressing through Saturday of that first week in order in the Psalter, and then those same 6 selections are sung by the congregation on that Lord's Day, the church will sing effectively twice through the Psalter in a year--once at home, and once at Church.

I don't have a schedule of this handy, but what I do have is the listing of all our Psalter selections in order of our congregational singing, beginning at Psalm 1, through the totality of the Psalter. It would be a small matter for someone who is the least tech-savvy to build a schedule from this. Note that this listing has some alternate selections in it. They are the same reference as the ordinary selection. Simply using the references, one can build the schedule. See the link below:

http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/audio/psalm-singing/

If you have any further questions, just PM me.

E.R. you may already know this, but there is a great app designed by one of our Puritan Board members, the 1650 Scottish Psalter, which is set out according to Rev. Russell's schedule I think. The app contains digital and live recordings to help with learning the tunes.

I don't have a schedule of this handy, but what I do have is the listing of all our Psalter selections in order of our congregational singing, beginning at Psalm 1, through the totality of the Psalter. It would be a small matter for someone who is the least tech-savvy to build a schedule from this. Note that this listing has some alternate selections in it. They are the same reference as the ordinary selection. Simply using the references, one can build the schedule. See the link below:

http://www.christcovenantrpc.org/audio/psalm-singing/

If you have any further questions, just PM me.
Thank you for this. I have been building this on my own, and it was getting tedious.

Jeri, I do have the app, thanks.

Rev. Ruddell, thanks for the schedule. I want to make repetition apart of our routine; perhaps we can follow this schedule while we also repeat one for a week in order to memorize it.

Jeri, I do have the app, thanks.

Rev. Ruddell, thanks for the schedule. I want to make repetition apart of our routine; perhaps we can follow this schedule while we also repeat one for a week in order to memorize it.

It's a pleasure, brother. May the Lord bless your praise, and advance your understanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back