Anyone lived or served in Bermuda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
I was born in Bermuda in 1956 - my father was part of the last British garrison (DCLI - long story). We left when I was 9 months old and I've never been able to afford to go back. At that time there was a US naval base, which I think is still there. Does anyone know the island fairly well? Bermuda was important in my mother's political development - it was the first time she saw real, grinding poverty. It was also the first time she got to know people of other races - she can vividly remember talking to Albert, her milkman, in town - only to be pushed into the gutter by a US tourist telling her she was a "n..... lover".

I don't believe I have seen any Bermudians on the Puritan Board. It is a small island, only about 60,000 people, and probably very little reformed presence. I am a bit surprised to hear that there was poverty there. To the best of my knowledge, Bermuda today boasts a near 100% literacy rate and a nearly 0% unemployment rate.

My mother had lived through the depression and her father was unable to work because of rheumatic fever - so she knew hardship. But she was shocked at the conditions in the black settlements, where she was forbidden to go!

What type of churches are on the island? Does the island still have the poor sections that were there when you were a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back