Anyone read Bell's New Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
Rob Bell has penned a new book, published by HarperOne, "How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life Worth Living." This represents the storied former pastor's shift to the self-help genre.

Has anyone read it?

One reviewer oberves:

But don't expect there to be any quotation from Scripture. Neither does Bell write as a pastor. Rather donning the garment of a self-help writer, the new book minmizes the role of God and everything Biblical but emphazises more of the self. In the book, Bell encourages readers to take personal and professional risks.

Here's the book's synopsis: "Each of us was created for something great-we just need to figure out what it is and find the courage to do it. Whether it's writing the next great American novel, starting a business, or joining a band, Rob Bell wants to help us make those dreams become reality. Our path is ours and ours alone to pursue, he reminds us, and in doing so, we derive great joy because we are living our passions.

I used to complain about Joel Osteen's one semester of college as the explanation for some of his ideas. But, with Wheaton and Fuller degrees, you can't grant Bell the same extenuation. Oy vey!

In reading the synopsis, I am reminded of those people who joke and say that the best way to become rich is to write a book about how to become rich. It has the same sick irony. Rob Bell "wants to help us make those dreams become a reality," all the while making his own dream of financial fortune real for him through the selling of this book. What a deceiver. His god is his belly.

Rob Bell has penned a new book, published by HarperOne, "How to Be Here: A Guide to Creating a Life Worth Living." This represents the storied former pastor's shift to the self-help genre.

Has anyone read it?

One reviewer oberves:

But don't expect there to be any quotation from Scripture. Neither does Bell write as a pastor. Rather donning the garment of a self-help writer, the new book minmizes the role of God and everything Biblical but emphazises more of the self. In the book, Bell encourages readers to take personal and professional risks.

Here's the book's synopsis: "Each of us was created for something great-we just need to figure out what it is and find the courage to do it. Whether it's writing the next great American novel, starting a business, or joining a band, Rob Bell wants to help us make those dreams become reality. Our path is ours and ours alone to pursue, he reminds us, and in doing so, we derive great joy because we are living our passions.

I used to complain about Joel Osteen's one semester of college as the explanation for some of his ideas. But, with Wheaton and Fuller degrees, you can't grant Bell the same extenuation. Oy vey!

If he doesn't want to make reference to Scripture, then he should write a book on a topic where Scripture is silent.

Has anyone read it?

One reviewer oberves:

He is focused on the wrong thing. He should write a book about seeking first God's kingdom and becoming more like Christ.

I can think of one particular Gentleman here in Australia who switched from being involved in the prosperity gospel to being involved full time in wealth creation. He is now a key note speaker who travels the world but I always remember him as the Minister who ran Youth Alive in Australia. (This was in the AOG)

https://mesiti.com/#

When I was in my twenties, we would do youth rallies with him.
It was kind of fun and I still remember it fondly,
When I see him talk now, I feel a bit sad. :(

It seems that this book flows logically from the theology that he espoused in his previous book "Love Wins." If hell exists only on Earth in the form of poverty and struggle, then "salvation" is ultimately found in overcoming these things. What a sad and tragic thing it is to exchange an eternity of glory for but a moment of Earthly pleasure.

"Each of us was created for something great...."

I suppose that is true if we understand the definition of "great" and remember that "something great" does not necessarily mean personal greatness.

Providentially, I was reading from Isaiah 2 just now:

The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
Isaiah 2:11.

I'm reminded of a quote from Deepak Chopra: "You don't have to believe in God in order to experience God."

He also spoke more truth than he apparently knows.

For both of them, and the countless "self-improvement" (self-exalting) teachers like them, another admonition from Isaiah 2:22

Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of?

Good word VictorBravo! I would agree with Deepak because ALL MEN WILL EITHER FACE GOD AND EXPERIENCE GRACE OR FURRY OF GOD. Sure that is not in Deepak's mind but it is truth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back