Apologetics quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You scored as Reformed/Presuppositional Apologist.

You do apologetics in the tradition of reformed and presuppostional apologists. You may have considered going to Westminster to study theology. You've studies important works by Van Til, Francis Schaeffer, and Alvin Plantinga.

Reformed/Presuppositional Apologist 57%
Fideist 47%
Classical Apologist 43%
Evidentialist 30%
Atheist 17%

How did I score 17% atheist?

[Edited on 12-23-2004 by Steadfast]

The quiz called me an 80% evidentialist

*runs and hides*

Any book reccomendations?

[Edited on 23-12-2004 by Authorised]

That is, it takes 5 tubes to stick one kid to the wall. If I want them on the ceiling I need duct tape, heavy duty.

[Edited on 24-12-2004 by JohnV]

all i can say is AMEN, i too was awarded the Van Til pictire!!!!

Reformed/Presuppositional Apologist.......................97%
Classical Apologist....................................................73%
Evidentialist..............................................................30%
Fideist.......................................................................10%
Atheist........................................................................0%

Herminio

You are an atheist! You spend hours studying Friedrick Nietzche, Bertrand Russell, and J. L. Mackie. When Christians try to give you reasons to believe, you won't give them the time of day because they are deleusional fools.

1102961959nietzsche.jpg

Deleusional fools.

(Thinks Peter did that on purpose! LOL!)

Everyone else is getting VanTil?

Does this mean I did better or worse than the men?!

I think the scores are meant how much you are (or rely on) in that particular area...not as a whole. (ie...how much you use pre-sup, classical, etc)....which means....(I think I did better...nah nah!):p

Originally posted by Paul manata
I want to see what the answers those who got high presupp % are. Can anyone take the time to copy the questions and tell us how you answerd them?

Now that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

First time through:
My answers were all either agree or disagree. There were a couple I changed from 1/2 way (mediating position), to one direction or another. That gave me an "80." I also answered the "properly basic" question in the negative, because I didn't think it was really van-til-presup. And based on the above note by DH (Jacob), it is Plantinga.

So I changed it. And now I am a 100% PRESUPPOSITIONALIST!!!!

Answers:

Nope. I'm editing to remove. Will send you a u2u if requested.
Paul M--sending your way right now

[Edited on 12-24-2004 by Contra_Mundum]

Evidentialist 87%
Classical Apologist 67%
Reformed/Presuppositional Apologist 17%
Atheist 0%
Fideist 0%

I was just relieved to find out I wasn't an atheist!

(PS. Please don't show Paul Manata my scores; he'll be ashamed of me!)

I was a 40% Fideist because I think if God doesn't effectually call someone, all the argument in the world won't convince them. A Fideist? Moi?

Bad news! Polygrip only lasts a short while. Half way through the night the kid fell off the wall. Duct tape is still holding, though. But I just don't recommend this type of thing; its awful hard to feed them when they're stuck to the ceiling. It was easier with the one on the wall.

One question: do they make a super Polygrip, like a Polygrip with superglue mixed in?

Tests like these have very limited value anyway. And no matter how carefully they're worded, something is lost in a true/false test that makes essays superior (unless its basic math).

Paul, without a doubt, I'd take a lesson in presupp apologetics and practical apologetics from you any day of the week. Including Sunday.

I put the Polygrip away, and took a look at the quiz.

I'd like to put the questions in this thread because I think that they are very well crafted questions for the purposes intended, but that's not the same as saying that the questions are good for all the intentions of those taking the quiz. I'm very impressed with the set-up. Someone did their homework, for sure.

But that's not how I scored the quiz. I gave it a mediocre rating. It does a good job at analyzing the answers (yes, I took the quiz) but it does not really tell you what it purports to tell you. It rates you according to someone's analysis of the distinctions between the various views, but who defines that? For example, as an Evidentialist I would define the distinctions differently; and as a Presuppositionalist, differently again, and as a Classist again somewhat differently. There is a reason why someone believes one way and not another way, and the one will not agree with the other that one particular tenet of his view is wrong or right. So the analyses will be different. That I think is the weakness of this quiz.

On the other hand, how carefully did you consider the propositions given? And did you really answer as you should have according to what you believe? The propositions are crafted, and so they are stated in terms you may not have agreed with, and yet you are asked to rate your agreement or disagreement with them. There is a middle option, one right in between disagree and agree, but that does not really supply the needed way out of some propostions. How many would you have worded differently? How many didn't you like to give an answer to because it didn't really convey the truth of what you believe? How many were unnecessary or alien to truth?

Take heart. If you scored high in an area that you thought you disagree with, its because it is analytical of the answers you gave compared to the answers they expected of their crafting, not necessarily of your beliefs. I think that it would be beneficial to all of us to discuss some of these propositions, and then maybe we would change our minds on how we would answer to them.

Originally posted by ARStager
Anyone know why they said I was 17% atheist?

Boy, I'm screwed up.

I think they should confiscate your membership to this board. You can't be reformed and 17% atheist :bigsmile:

I agree. I should write a letter to my session, too.

"Guys, about that profession of faith...yeah...uh..."

Andrew asks:

Anyone know why they said I was 17% atheist?

Boy, I'm screwed up.

17% just means that you answered 1 of the 6 questions of an atheist bent in the affirmative. Just like a 67% for Classical Apologist means you agree with 2/3 of the questions about that area.

This is also why the totals don't have to add up to 100%. Of course, if you would have gotten 100% atheist and 100% presup, then I would have to say you are 100% lying. :D

That's how I understand it. I forgot my score, but I am for sure 100% certifiable.

In ancient Greece an atheist has been used to define people who do not acknowledge the 'gods' of the state (cf. Plato's 'Apology'). So, you're atheistic towards the 'god' of humanism, pluralism, evolutionary naturalism, feminism, antinomianism, reason, science, etc.

Just thought I'd make you feel better...

And the god of statism. Paul, what do you think of the Apologetic works of Rushdoony? Like By What Standard, The One and the Many, etc.? I have found him unbelievably clear on issues of authority and absolutes.

John, even though you're one of the oldest here... you still can have some fun. Time to branch out. I mean, don't you get bored seeing how many grandkids can stick to the ceiling with denture bond?

:lol:

Reformed/Presuppositional Apologist

67%
Evidentialist

67%
Classical Apologist

50%
Fideist

17%
Atheist

0%

At least I am 0% atheist. Oh, I think I was awarded a picture of Van Til, but it looks like he is sporting a pompadour.

openairboy

[Edited on 12-1-2005 by openairboy]

You are a classical apologist! Marshaling arguments first based on competing worldviews, you can show reasons to believe in the Christian faith. You have learned much from C. S. Lewis, Norman Geisler, and Peter Kreeft.

1102961610giesler.jpg

Classical Apologist 67%
Reformed/Presuppositional Apologist 63%
Evidentialist 60%
Fideist 3%
Atheist 0%

I demand a RECOUNT! I'm a presuppositionalist! I am! I am! I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back