Apostate: Book by Kevin Swanson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Puritan Board Freshman
Apostate by Kevin Swanson
Any thoughts on this book? I just received it from a friend who is more in the fringe side of reformed theology and looking at the table of contents I’m leaning towards it not being worth my time to read. Any insights are appreciated!

Attachments

• A798A580-2D2E-49C9-A9E5-4890CE04143F.jpeg
    A798A580-2D2E-49C9-A9E5-4890CE04143F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • F50A2B86-A1C6-4294-9383-E953C157FAAE.jpeg
    F50A2B86-A1C6-4294-9383-E953C157FAAE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This actually looks very interesting to me. I think philosophical and historical looks at cultural phenomenon are necessary to understanding them and are necessary tools for Christians. Obviously, you use discernment, but I don't see the issue? And what does your friend not being exactly like you on reformed theology have to do with anything? It's not what the book is about. I would accept the book as a gift with humility and thankfulness for the gesture of your friend, even if you decide not to read it. But don't discount something just because someone outside your circle recommends something. You'll really limit yourself that way... just my two cents. In the meantime, I think I'm going to buy it. ;)

Essentially I’m not a fan historical readings that paint all beyond the pale of reformed theology as enemies. That’s how the table of contents reads to me and why I’m looking for additional insights from the board as I’m unfamiliar with the author. I don’t discount people with different views than me, but do discount people who discount people with different views than them ;)

I don’t discount people with different views than me, but do discount people who discount people with different views than them ;)
Ah, I gotcha and I'm in total agreement with you if that's the case. I just didn't get that from the Amazon description. I thought it was just about Western (Christian) Decline in general. If his analysis is to the affect that we're in the position we are because everyone isn't properly presbyterian, well, that's just ridiculous. But I don't know anything about the stated apostate, Kevin Swanson, either.

Ah, I gotcha and I'm in total agreement with you if that's the case. I just didn't get that from the Amazon description. I thought it was just about Western (Christian) Decline in general. If his analysis is to the affect that we're in the position we are because everyone isn't properly presbyterian, well, that's just ridiculous. But I don't know anything about the stated apostate, Kevin Swanson, either.
Yeah, like I said I could be off base and it’s a great read. Who knows!

I read some reviews. It looks worthwhile to me for background. I pretty much already flagged most of men mentioned. Whether they all were causes or some were mere symptoms might be a good question.

Case in point. Would an admin please change the title of this post so people don’t start stating Kevin Swanson (an OPC pastor) is apostate?

Case in point. Would an admin please change the title of this post so people don’t start stating Kevin Swanson (an OPC pastor) is apostate?
If you're talking about my last sentence, that was a joke referring to the OP title. A nudge, so to speak...LOL. Thought it was obvious...

I’ve edited my original post to include the title of the work. Hopefully that helps.

Ethan, It might be worth a shot. I read Swanson's "The Story of Freedom," and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Just my two cents.

So, I downloaded the Kindle version. I put off buying a couple Swanson TV dinners to afford it: $7.99.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! My initial reaction to the book was probably more negative than warranted. I will check it out and I’m sure I will learn something even if I don’t agree with everything that’s said.

He is no longer OPC. His congregation is a part of the Covenant Presbyterian Church (CPC) now. I do not know about his church's practice - but the ones I know of are staunch promoters of paedocommunion.

I would not call him an apostate though!

Did you mean to type CPC? Kevin Swanson pastors Reformation Church of Elizabeth, which belongs to Covenant Presbyterian Church.

I think you'd have to learn something from the book. I've appreciated my limited interaction with Rev. Swanson.

With many authors, there's at least two sides to their work. In general, and as a very rank amateur, it seems to me that philosophers have done much better at tearing down than at constructing. Many land tremendous blows against other systems; but their own positive theses rarely seem to stand up to scrutiny. And so the value of a given author is dependent on at least two factors: 1) what am I perceiving in it; 2) what I happen to need based on my background.

Thus I recently read and very much enjoyed Eugene Vodolazkin's Laurus. But I could easily see someone loving it for the wrong reasons.

He is no longer OPC. His congregation is a part of the Covenant Presbyterian Church (CPC) now. I do not know about his church's practice - but the ones I know of are staunch promoters of paedocommunion.

I would not call him an apostate though!
"Lord’s Day Communion
Communion is held weekly, and our practice is to open communion to those who are believers and accountable to a local church."

From his church's website. I listen to his podcast a lot. I have never heard a hint of paedocommunion, but he does quote Doug Wilson a decent amount.

As an update, I finished the book and found it very insightful. I didn’t realize how truly insidious the humanist “greats” were. On a side note, I see that Swanson has homeschooling curriculum at generations.org. Has anyone used it? Our daughter is 2 months old and we’re really trying to be good stewards with her and think things through before she’s older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back